IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Good showings today by Thomas, Spieth and Webb. Bubba played decent. The rest of the team just didn't really show up. Finau, Reed and DeChambeau have been a major disappointment and I just don't think DJ and Koepka have the fire in them like the Euros do.

They are not the most exuberant players out there, even when winning. It's of course easy to say when euro is leading, but they seem to have more players that really thrive in this format, the noise, the crowds, getting riled up. Euro got Poulter, Garcia, Rory, Rose, Fleetwood, Rahm. Players that go out of their way to celebrate and make a point out of success. On the US team there are less of those up-there guys. Thomas, Bubba, Reed maybe. There are more mellow guys on the US team. Not that there's anything wrong with being mellow, but in an event like this I believe guys like Garcia and Poulter play well just because it's the RC. Beating players they normally don't beat too often. Doesn't hurt of course having the majority of the galleries behind them and being on euro soil.

Maybe I'm wrong and we'd see more from DJ, Koepka, Finau etc. if they played better and maybe even in the US, but I still think they are more down-to-earth.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, eich41 said:

Europe is going to need at least a 2 point lead going into singles. Top to bottom in singles they don’t match up well with the US

The good news is the US has kept these matches close on the front. They’ve fared pretty well on the back but were too far back in most matches for it to matter by tgen

It's horses for courses. Fictional matchup between individual players is meaningless in the abstract, regardless of who is the "better" player. Most of the US team have played terribly regardless of world ranking, and don't look like they can find the fairway with an iron.

I think furyk needs to open with a combination of good play and enthusiasm. Someone who is playing well enough for a good chance to get some red on the board early and can really get the crowd jacked. Reed would be a great choice but he isn’t playing well enough. I think JT is the guy we gotta send out first. 

I hope yesterday’s afternoon matches don’t cost us. That seems to be what hurt us the most.  We need to come out rejuvenated tomorrow for singles. Tiger does not seem interested in any of his pairings. Maybe Reed can find some semblance of his game along with Phil. Hard to tell with no emotion Johnson. Fowler needs a strong showing as the talent is there. When do the matchups come out? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

3 minutes ago, eich41 said:

Front load the singles and try to put the pressure on the Euros out late

It seems like a no win situation for US. Front load the singles then have the slugs come out and get polished by the Euros. Or send out the slugs then put more pressure on our strong ones to overcome an even larger deficit. Outlook is not good.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

31 minutes ago, eich41 said:

Front load the singles and try to put the pressure on the Euros out late

Outside of Spieth, Thomas and Webb, no one else has really looked all that great so not sure if front loading will really make a difference. Bottom line is the players that have been sucking need to show up tomorrow or else it will be over before I eat breakfast.

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It seems like a no win situation for US. Front load the singles then have the slugs come out and get polished by the Euros. Or send out the slugs then put more pressure on our strong ones to overcome an even larger deficit. Outlook is not good.

Correct either way it’s going to be tough but the only chance you have is to pick up points early. It’s the same thing as Medinah with reverse roles. The only chance is to ratchet up the pressure and hope you pull it off. The euros need 4.5 to win, the only chance is to make them earn it at the end when the pressure is on. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Outside of Spieth, Thomas and Webb, no one else has really looked all that great so not sure if front loading will really make a difference. Bottom line is the players that have been sucking need to show up tomorrow or else it will be over before I eat breakfast.

Singles is a whole different game. Nobody there to pick you up. While they haven’t played well this far, I like their chances 1 on 1. Personally I’d go Thomas, Spieth, Koepka, Tiger, Finau, Fowler, Simpson, DeChambeau, DJ, Bubba, Phil, And let reed anchor and hopefully channel past Ryder cups if it comes down to him. 

6 minutes ago, eich41 said:

Singles is a whole different game. Nobody there to pick you up. While they haven’t played well this far, I like their chances 1 on 1. Personally I’d go Thomas, Spieth, Koepka, Tiger, Finau, Fowler, Simpson, DeChambeau, DJ, Bubba, Phil, And let reed anchor and hopefully channel past Ryder cups if it comes down to him. 

How do pairings usually work? Can Bjorn see Furyk's moves and counter or vice versa? Thousand bucks says if Furyk puts Tiger down first, Bjorn puts Molinari right there with him.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/ryder-cup-2018-scores-live-updates-france

pairings are out. 

Wooda vs rahm will be interesting. Rahm had been hot for a while, so if he can get going. Itll be a hot match if woods shows up. 

I also like rickie and garcia. Both kind of underdogs but can be explosive.

Edited by phillyk
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/ryder-cup-2018-scores-live-updates-france

pairings are out. 

Wooda vs rahm will be interesting. Rahm had been hot for a while, so if he can get going. Itll be a hot match if woods shows up. 

Starting with JT...i figures that’s what he would do. 

Well at least Furyk figured out the front load. I actually like the match ups too. Looks like the Eurostar tried to match the front load and put their foot on US throats. We will know early on whether there’s a chance or not. We also managed to sacrifice Phil to the guy who is playing the best on the European team. Can’t ask for much more. 

Worried about Molinari vs Mickelson, Casey vs Koepka, Rose vs Simpson....those are gonna be tough matches to win. Casey an amazing singles player. Not sure how much Tiger has left in tank. Just gonna be a tough task to to turn this around. If I were a betting man, I’d say Europe ends up with 16 pts.

Edited by ChrisP

15 minutes ago, eich41 said:

The pairings are blind. So each captain puts their order out and going down the list that’s who plays who

Well...they’re ‘blind.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!