IGNORED

Main clubs you use during round.

Northwoods88
Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was thinking this morning about my last couple rounds of golf. I realized I really only have a few clubs that I normally use. There are a few clubs I carry that I have never even used during a round before. It got me curious to see what everyone else uses as there go to clubs during a round. What clubs you go to for certain situations and what clubs sit in your bag and never get pulled.

For me obviously it's driver and putter every hole but I mostly use my 6 or 7 and a pitching wedge. I will use my 3 wood on longer holes when I have 200+ left to go to green but I don't have a lot of confidence hitting it. Sometimes I feel better hitting a 4 iron. 120yds or closer I will hit pitching wedge or bumb and run with a 7.

I have a 3 hybrid that never gets played, a gap wedge that's never played and my 5, and 8 iron hardly get swung. I was just thinking maybe it would help my game if I used my full bag over the course of a round. 

It depends on the course I am playing. My home course I use my driver and my wedges predominantly, I rarely hit any long irons. Other courses are different. At the end of this month I go with a big group of guys up to Southfork, Colorado to play four rounds at the Rio Grande Club. On that course I end up hitting every club in my bag. It's part of the reason I like that course so much.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The clubs i use most often are Driver, 3 & 4 hybrids, 7 iron, SW, and putter. It obviously depends on the length of holes on the courses you play and how far you hit your different clubs.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Driver, 3W, 7W, SW, and putter are the five clubs I use the most often. My driver, and 3W, I use off the tee quite often.

My least used club is my 5I. Probably because it's so close to my 7W. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I hit all of them usually if it's a typical (6400-6700) course.  Ranked?  Putter followed by driver (no kidding).  Then my wedges/short irons.  Then the hybrids.  least amount is the long irons (6/5i) and 3w.

When I'm trying to do the "no sixes" challenge practice?  Then the hybrid use increases as the driver use decreases.....

Bill - 

Typical course of ~6800 yds that I play, I use driver, putter, 60 * lob wedge, and generally 7, 8, 9, PW and SW.  If there is a long par 3's or short par 4's, I sometimes use 4 or 5 irons.  

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

At my home course, driver, 3H, wedges (I miss a lot of greens, sometimes on purpose) and putter.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I try and understand what they can all do, and avoid over-relying on a certain club. However, the ones I use the most are my mini-driver, 7 wood, and, since my ball striking and wrist pain are both quite bad atm, my 5 hybrid. 6 Iron through SW all get used more or less equally.  Lob Wedge, Driver and 3 hybrid (or 3 crossover If I'm carrying) tend to get the least use. 

I use D, 3h, 4h, 7w 7i, wedges and putter.  I have other clubs at the ready.  I may use a 3w in place of a driver depending on my needs at the course.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I really need to start practicing with my 3h and 3 wood. I normally play a shorter 9 hole course that plays around 3000. occasionally i play a 6600 course where there are some long par 4 and 5s. I just need to build up some confidence with my other clubs.

It's probably easier to list the clubs I rarely use and yet are still in my bag at the moment.

My least-used club is a 60-degree wedge. I only pull it when I absolutely have to get the ball up if I'm short-sided or tight to the lip of a bunker. Otherwise I'm hitting the SW.

Probably 3I and 4I come next. It's easier for me to cover that distance by taking some off my 5W, leaving those clubs to mostly just punch shots.

Finally, the 3W is also rarely used. It typically needs to be 190-220 yard par 3 or something very narrow to use it off the tee. I just about never bother with in off the floor.

Everything else generally gets pretty steady work. 

Edited by mcanadiens

I play all my clubs except the 8i.  That one sees very little action.

My son and I were talking about "What club could you take out of the bag" and my answer was 8i.

My home course has a couple of odd holes where I need to worry about the hazards so I have a 2w and 4w just for those holes.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

For me it's putter, Driver, 5 hybrid, PW, SW, then 8 iron. The yardages for these seem to come up a lot, and I also have more confidence in them. I also might use them instead of some of the others, even when they are not ideal for yardage or condition. This probably keeps me from  building confidence in my lesser used clubs.

Decided I would give my never used 3h a try today and quickly realized why I never use it lol. Tried it twice both times I sliced it so bad my ball flew over the highway that runs along side a par 5. It could be that I just suck (at least today I did) I wasn't able to hit any club I grabbed. Ended up tearing up my score card on the 7th hole and focused on fundamentals instead of strokes.

When I play my regular course from the senior tees (6,000 yds) I typically only carry 7-8 clubs in my bag and walk. I'm not terribly long off the tee, so most par 4 are driver and 3 hybrid. Par 5s are Driver, 3 hybrid and 7 or 9 iron, Par 3s are 3 hybrid or short iron. Seeing a pattern? Add a gap, sand wedge and putter and I'm done. 

When I play a new course, I normally take a 14 clubs for the first round - then adjust for any future rounds.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I use my Driver, 5 wood for 200yd Par 3s, my 7 for 150 shots, for my wedges, I live and die with my 52, and of course the putter.

I do use almost all my other clubs at times, with my 3 wood being the exception.  Probably should pull that from my bag.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!