IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

its not that hard to hit it far.  it really is all technique.  if youre a good golfer, you'll hit it pretty far.  275+.  without really trying that hard.

most of your power comes from understanding how the golf grip works, how to use gravity to your advantage, and how to generate your power at the bottom of your arc.

i'm over 50, and i hit a drive 360 yards last year.  and i hit dozens of drives over 300.  but heres the thing...  i play with a guy whos 10 years older than me, and he outdrives me over half the time.  (we both use 20 year old drivers, too.  cuz we like em.)

it really is all understanding how the golf swing works, and just letting it happen.  if you want to hit the ball 280+ every time, you need to take lessons (or watch em on youtube or something) and you need to practice.  there arent any shortcuts.  you just have to learn how to hit the ball 280 yards.

i dont wanna give a lesson, but i can tell ya one thing, it takes wwwaaaaaaayyyyy  less energy than all you guys are putting into it.  when i say its not that hard, i'm not kiddin.  it is hard to hit it 360, but its not hard to hit it 280.  you have to be strong and athletic to hit it 360...  you just have to be not weak and athletic enough to hit it 280.  most men who play golf have plenty of strength to hit it 280, but their swing is too crappy (has way too much weird stuff in it) to get the club back to the ball right.

its not your driver.  its not your age.  (unless youre 80+.  and maybe not even then.)  its your crappy swing.  take some lessons.  or watch some lessons.  and practice.  if you figure it out, you will hit the ball 280.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:16 PM, iacas said:

That doesn't really happen here.

What about this:

13 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

its not that hard to hit it far.  it really is all technique.  if youre a good golfer, you'll hit it pretty far.  275+.  without really trying that hard.

most of your power comes from understanding how the golf grip works, how to use gravity to your advantage, and how to generate your power at the bottom of your arc.

i'm over 50, and i hit a drive 360 yards last year.  and i hit dozens of drives over 300.  but heres the thing...  i play with a guy whos 10 years older than me, and he outdrives me over half the time.  (we both use 20 year old drivers, too.  cuz we like em.)

it really is all understanding how the golf swing works, and just letting it happen.  if you want to hit the ball 280+ every time, you need to take lessons (or watch em on youtube or something) and you need to practice.  there arent any shortcuts.  you just have to learn how to hit the ball 280 yards.

i dont wanna give a lesson, but i can tell ya one thing, it takes wwwaaaaaaayyyyy  less energy than all you guys are putting into it.  when i say its not that hard, i'm not kiddin.  it is hard to hit it 360, but its not hard to hit it 280.  you have to be strong and athletic to hit it 360...  you just have to be not weak and athletic enough to hit it 280.  most men who play golf have plenty of strength to hit it 280, but their swing is too crappy (has way too much weird stuff in it) to get the club back to the ball right.

its not your driver.  its not your age.  (unless youre 80+.  and maybe not even then.)  its your crappy swing.  take some lessons.  or watch some lessons.  and practice.  if you figure it out, you will hit the ball 280.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Nope. Some guys are never gonna average 270.

The above is as bogus as it gets.

1 minute ago, Carl3 said:

What about this:

What about it?

One random goof coming out of the woodwork within hours of something like that being said isn't proof of anything. I didn't say it never happens here, and never will. I said it doesn't really happen. It still doesn't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, flashypaws said:

its not that hard to hit it far.  it really is all technique.  if youre a good golfer, you'll hit it pretty far.  275+.  without really trying that hard......

Come on man...I play with a lot of good players who do not average anywhere near 280. 280 yards is a long way, most people, even people who have handicaps in the low single digits don't hit the ball that far.

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

19 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Come on man...I play with a lot of good players who do not average anywhere near 280. 280 yards is a long way, most people, even people who have handicaps in the low single digits don't hit the ball that far.

Don't feed the idiots 

Stevie T

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Many people hit their drive of the day, right down the middle with a baby draw... it looks just like on TV.  300 yards.  Sorry, you just hit it 250.  If you want to call it anything longer use your GPS unit and live with the dose of reality.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, NM Golf said:

This is a ridiculous post. Just about every Tour player is a long hitting "low handicap" as are a majority of college players and many of the guys I play with on a weekly basis. I don't know where you play, but hitting the ball a long way and hitting the ball in play are not mutually exclusive. There are lot's of players who can do it. 

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, hoganbenn said:

Since you didn't type anything… what's your point? Genuinely asking.

The two posts @NM Golf made aren't mutually exclusive. He can play with both high-level college players who do hit the ball far and "good" players who don't average 280.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, flashypaws said:

Nonsense. Many instructors know very well, in fact precisely, these concepts and they can’t hit the ball 280. I understand quite well how to chop a tree or a log which involves everything you mentioned...but I can’t easily hit a golf ball 300yds.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

While technique is a huge part of distance, it will only make up about 80% of the end result.  I'm just throwing that number out there btw so please don't hammer me for it.  It's the reason why a 10 year old with perfect technique might be able to hit it 200, not 300.  There is a strength element involved, as well as a more complicated flexibility and kinetic sequencing involved which is more difficult to replicate with simple technique and practice which is why guys like rory mcilroy drilled the ball well over 300 yards as a pudgy 5'9 teen and hit it maybe 5% longer as a more muscular 29 year old.  It's the reason why in baseball, not every hitter can hit it out of the park with ease, but some guys can not even hit the ball on the barrel and still muscle it out, and the smaller guys that are able to hit it out at a half decent clip (jose altuve) are generally considered freaks.  It's the reason why the shortest guy in the top 10 in driving distance on the pga tour is 5'10 and in the bottom 10, there are 3 guys below 5'10.  Also, the bottom 10 all average under 270 yards off the tee.  These are the guys who are playing on the best tour in the world, who likely all have fantastic 'technique' and they hit it less than 270!  Of course you never hear about these guys hitting it that short because most of them are typically not at the top of the leaderboard.

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Oh, a buddy of mine hits it 270-280 all the time! Except on a 400 yard par 4 he still has 170-180 in! How does that math work?

A couple of years ago, quite by accident, I did everything perfectly and hit a tee shot 299 yards verified by GPS! My buddy hit his "usual" 270-280 yarder and I was 70 yards ahead of him! Unfortunately, I didn't hit another tee shot like that the rest of that season nor the one that followed! 

While it was gratifying to know that I could still do that, I would take issue with flashypaws who maintains that it's "easy". I'm now 66 and I just can't move like I could 30-40 years ago, when I could hit the ball a mile! I have a basically sound swing and maintain a decent handicap for a man my age, but I have doubts if I could ever get to single digits again.

• Like 2

@hoganbenn What's your point? There are two points I disagree with... 

First, you seem to believe that hitting the ball a long way and hitting it straight are two skills that players cannot demonstrate at the same time. I disagree because many of the skills necessary to hit the ball a long way are the same skills necessary to hit the ball on target. I see very few guys who hit the ball 300 yards that cannot also keep the ball in play.

Then @flashypaws seems to believe that the average weekend duffer possesses the skills necessary to hit the ball 280 yards on average which I believe to be complete bullshit. Hitting the ball 280 yards is both a developed skill by grooving a proper golf swing complimented by the natural ability to move the club head fast enough to create that type of ball speed.

I play with both types of these players. Really good players who hit the ball a long way, score well, and carry low handicaps, and older guys who do not hit the ball that far, play shorter tees, and still shoot good scores. They both exist.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Nonsense. Many instructors know very well, in fact precisely, these concepts and they can’t hit the ball 280.

its not nonsense.  its sense.  they dont understand how the grip works.  your grip is 65%.  of everything.  your stance is 35%.  and your rhythm is whatevers left over.  sure, i just made that up...  but still.  look how important the grip is.

if you understand the grip, your grip will actually dictate the shape of your swing.  the whole swing is 'designed' to maintain constant grip pressure.  thats it.  thats as far as this lesson is going.

i can talk for 8 hours on the golf grip and how it works.  thats why i can hit a golf ball 300 yards.  (i'm still recovering from back surgery, too.  and i drove a 360 yard par four last summer..  i'm over 50, i have a bulging disk, i have nerve damage in the lower right 1/4 of my body, i'm 5' 9" if i stand on a towel...  and i can hit a golf ball 300 yards.)

not only do a lot of people not understand how the golf grip works, they dont even understand how a golf club works.  (there are two mechanical principals in play at the same time.  a lever, and a cam.  i'm only saying this to prove that i do know how a golf club works.  i have no intention of explaining what a lever or a cam is.  so...  good luck with that.)

if you understand the golf swing...  for real...  it is easy to hit the ball 280 yards.  by easy, i dont mean its easy to figure out how to do it, i mean it doesnt take extraordinary strength or flexibility to do it.  if you know how to do it, you can almost certainly do it.  if you dont, you cant.

the grips the rip.  the spines the line.  and rhythm, obviously, is a dancer.

no.  really.  i'm serious as cancer...  when i say rhythm is a dancer.  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

its not nonsense.  its sense.  they dont understand how the grip works.  your grip is 65%.  of everything.  your stance is 35%.  and your rhythm is whatevers left over.  sure, i just made that up...  but still.  look how important the grip is.

if you understand the grip, your grip will actually dictate the shape of your swing.  the whole swing is 'designed' to maintain constant grip pressure.  thats it.  thats as far as this lesson is going.

i can talk for 8 hours on the golf grip and how it works.  thats why i can hit a golf ball 300 yards.  (i'm still recovering from back surgery, too.  and i drove a 360 yard par four last summer..  i'm over 50, i have a bulging disk, i have nerve damage in the lower right 1/4 of my body, i'm 5' 9" if i stand on a towel...  and i can hit a golf ball 300 yards.)

not only do a lot of people not understand how the golf grip works, they dont even understand how a golf club works.  (there are two mechanical principals in play at the same time.  a lever, and a cam.  i'm only saying this to prove that i do know how a golf club works.  i have no intention of explaining what a lever or a cam is.  so...  good luck with that.)

if you understand the golf swing...  for real...  it is easy to hit the ball 280 yards.  by easy, i dont mean its easy to figure out how to do it, i mean it doesnt take extraordinary strength or flexibility to do it.  if you know how to do it, you can almost certainly do it.  if you dont, you cant.

I'd love to play a round with you Flashy.  Some people carry ball retrievers; I carry a 280 yard tape measure.

15 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

its not nonsense.  its sense.  they dont understand how the grip works.  your grip is 65%.  of everything.  your stance is 35%.  and your rhythm is whatevers left over.  sure, i just made that up...  but still.  look how important the grip is...

Where do you guys come from?

The-troll-is.jpg.f397caa2c19d9b194f1085cb0c61bea3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To any beginners surfing the web for golf tips who may have had the misfortune of stumbling onto this particular thread page at this time:

For the love of all that is holy, do not, in any way shape or form, under any circumstance, at all, in this or any parallel universes.....take the above post by @flashypaws seriously.  It is almost certainly sarcastic, and if not, just woefully ignorant.  Anybody who has taken lessons from a halfway competent professional will understand that just about everything stated is incorrect on a galactic scale, and is more than likely a shitpost just for grins.  But if you are new to this crazy game and in seek of answers....I beg you, whatever your question regarding the golf swing is, the answer is most likely the complete opposite of what he said.  I would venture as far as to say it's anything but what @flashypaws posted, but the answer is probably closer to "take lessons from a qualified PGA professional, and practice"

I award you no points...and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

42 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

This the perfect way to piss off the topic starter. Well done 👍

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!