IGNORED

Hard sand in bunkers

drf7155
Note: This thread is 2032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a 7 handicap and consider my self a very good sand player. Just joined a private club with hard sand. I'm used to the fluffy soft kind that I can get underneath. Have played 1 rd at new club and my 60 degree Cleveland is bouncing hard off sand is ball is flying out of bunker. I'm in trouble !!! Suggestions ????

I hate hard sand.

But it is a hazard, and not supposed to cater to my wishes... so...

I have a 8* bounce 58* that I use for this.  Less bounce for hard sand, more for soft.

I set up with and open stance but a square club face, like I'm going to hit a pitch. I hit the shot just like a regular sand shot but let the club dig.I always finish and don't decelerate. I use a 50 degree wedge with very little bounce. Ball pops out nice and soft.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's been raining a lot lately so all the bunkers are hard packed. I've been playing out of them similar to how others have mentioned, like a lofted chip shot.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When we played the Newport Cup in Phoenix, the sand in the bunkers was really firm.  I went to my lower-bounce 60* wedge, tried to take a shallower bit of sand than I normally do, with a little slower swing, since I thought the ball would jump out quickly.  That didn't work too well.  In the end I simply took my normal sand wedge (56-12), made sure to really thump the sand with the bottom of the wedge, with a little more clubhead speed than I'd have thought necessary.  It definitely worked better.  Not great, but I was heading the right direction with that.  I think the important part was the "thump", and more speed rather than less.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It has rained just about every day this summer and our traps are like wet concrete. Even my 60/8 can’t get under the ball up and out of greenside bunkers. My strategy is now avoid the bunkers at all cost. Otherwise, I am certain to make my ESC limit 😕

I don't know if it is me, but I seem to do better in hard sand. I treat it like a normal pitch shot. For soft sand, I lower my hands, raise my right shoulder, etc. For hard sand, I just stand like I do for pitch shots as is the Quickie Pitching Video.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I just play it like a normal pitch shot. I rather have very hard bunkers versus ones with a ton of sand.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Are y'all taking about *firm* sand? Or literally rock hard "sand" where you can't even make scrape marks in it with a rake if you wanted to?

Colin P.

8 hours ago, colin007 said:

Are y'all taking about *firm* sand? Or literally rock hard "sand" where you can't even make scrape marks in it with a rake if you wanted to?

Very firm sand, like after it has rained then dried a bit. I had this yesterday and worked on it at a local Par 3. I missed a couple using the sand method below. The club was bouncing off the harder sand. So I went with just a pitch style swing from the Quickie Pitching thread and it worked better. I practice pitching off hard pan when I can.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Im not really a fan of hard bunkers. I know alot of people love them, though. I prefer to release my sand shots (i read them like putts) and i tend to get too much spin out of hard sand. Its like they land and just stop there. Its just not how my eye and feel works on those shots. 

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I think we need to make a distinction between hard/firm sand and sand that has turned essentially into concrete. 

How about one we call, "wicked firm sand" and the other "hard as frickin' concrete sand"?:-P

I think the approach is essentially the same for me. If I need to carry the lip, I will do more of a pitch swing to get height. If it is a low lip next to the green, I may chip with a putting motion.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How about one we call, "wicked firm sand" and the other "hard as frickin' concrete sand"?:-P

I think the approach is essentially the same for me. If I need to carry the lip, I will do more of a pitch swing to get height. If it is a low lip next to the green, I may chip with a putting motion.

If it's very firm, I'm still trying to skim a little behind the ball, if there's even a little give to the sand.

The hard as concrete stuff, I'm trying to use the pitching method that can be used off a cart path. No guarantees on success rate

Colin P.

Joined a Club ten years ago with really difficult bunkers ,little light sand on top then concrete ,well hard sand underneath . The result was the bounce on my SW was too much and I had real difficulty in getting out let alone getting out to where I wanted to be .

After years of frustration and wrecked cards due to extra shots (sometimes 4/5) in the bunkers I played against  one of the older members in a comp and was amazed with his effortless and consistent bunker play . After he had handed me my arse on a plate I asked him his secret . " Oh you have to use a lob wedge in these  bunkers  " he said " Didn't anyone tell you ?"

Note: This thread is 2032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!