IGNORED

Oh my aching ______! (Fill in the blank)

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 2029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

<rant>

About 6 weeks ago... I was playing some of the best golf I had ever played in my life.  Drives were finding the fairway.  Approach shots were on or near the green.  I was able to get up & down if I missed.  Putts were dropping.  Scores were (for me) low.  Golf was FUN.  

About 5 weeks ago... life got a little busy.  I made a change with what I do for work.  The kids went back to school.  My oldest entered his freshman year at Clemson.  There just wasn't enough time to make golf a focal point.  

I played 2 rounds in 5 days about 3 weeks ago.  The first was with a golf buddy.  It started out bad and just got worse.  On one of the later holes (15 or 16)... I hit my 6 iron VERY fat to the point where I really hurt my hand.  It didn't really impact my score because I had been playing so poorly anyway.  The second was with my wife at a nice resort course on a late Tuesday afternoon.  We had a great time... but the golf was pretty bad.  In both cases, I shot 7-8 strokes worse than my average for the year.  

I then put the clubs down because, as I said... life got busy.  I realized that, during that off time, my right hand didn't hurt as much.  On that fat 6 iron... I began to feel a strong pain on the ring finger of my right hand.  Taking some time off... the pain kinda went away.  

Anyway... this weekend, I finally got back out to the course.  I played in a 2 day event to kind of get myself golf-ready for the end run to my season.  Saturday was the first time I had touched clubs at all in 2 weeks and the first time I had been on a course in nearly 3 weeks.  It kinda showed.  I didn't play awful golf early on... but as the round went on, I played worse.  I shot a 93 going 43 - 50 and struggling with my driver the entire round.  I was 17 strokes behind the leader after the first round.  Late in the round... the pain in my hand returned.  

I went home that night, soaked my hand in hot water for awhile and took a few acetaminophen before going to sleep.  I woke up the next morning and seriously contemplated not driving the 90 minutes to the course because I was still sore and I was so far out of it.  Ultimately, seeing as how I'd decided to play to prepare and didn't expect to compete anyway... I decided to go and play the round.  

On the range, I was talking to a pair of guys and we were talking about our rounds the day before.  I'd mentioned the pain I was feeling in my right hand.  Well, the guy I was riding with (who is an ill-tempered habitual complainer and all-around bad guy to play golf with) started in about every pain he's ever felt in his life.  This carried on for almost 5 hours.  His finger... his toe... his neck... his back... his foot... his knees... his eyes.  It was non-stop.  Every shot had a different excuse.  

After the round, we were inside watching Tiger finish off his 80th win and the announcers were commenting on the pain Tiger had been in over the last few years and this guy started in AGAIN.  It got to the point where I got up and walked away while he was sharing his tales of agony with whoever would listen.  

We all have bad days on the course and... yes, I've had a shot here and there that was a direct result of some pain I felt, but... when EVERY swing brings you back to the cart complaining about something... either suck it up and move on or stop playing the game!  

</rant>

Sorry... I needed to get that out of my system.  I'm likely to see this guy again in a few weeks so, I need to let it go or I may explode on him.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have little aches and pains most of the time. Fortunately they are all located in some of my left side joints. Nothing wrong with my back, and neck..

I walk,  play, and practice alot to keep those pains at a minimum. Trying to keep my mobility. I have pain meds for these issues, but a 30 day script will last me 6 months, or more.

Most of the time the issues, although I know they are there, go unnoticed. Kind of just live with the issues.  

Bottom line is, I am just happy to still be able to swing a club for a decent score. Some day it will be "any" score......lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

We all, we admit, have aches and pains.  And, we may have a day that a pain IS a reason for our scores.  The thing we usually learn to do is move on.  The friend described above is probably a bad golfer who can't admit it.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Right now I am on the DL due to straining my bad back during a move to a different house - on my way to the chiropractor in 10 minutes.    I haven't played in almost a month due to the move and now I know it will be a couple of weeks before I can swing again and the season in Jersey will be winding down soon.  The bright spot is that I moved from the very cold NW part of the State to near the more moderate Jersey Shore in the SE which may give me an extra week or two of golf weather.

For all my complete lack of coordination in general, I'm usually pain free on the course. Suppose I should enjoy that while it lasts.

My problem comes after I walk a round. My left heel has been getting very sore. Think it's definitely time for some new shoes.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:57 PM, Fairway_CY said:

We all have bad days on the course and... yes, I've had a shot here and there that was a direct result of some pain I felt, but... when EVERY swing brings you back to the cart complaining about something... either suck it up and move on or stop playing the game! 

I have had some hand and shoulders problems this year. I quickly learned the truth of the axiom: Self-pity is the most unattractive trait. It is totally self-centered. Moreover, there are SO-O-O-O many people who have much, much  greater problems. Best to remain grateful for life and the ability to golf at all. Golf then is a solution. Great topic! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

When I play a lot, my body feels fantastic. A lot better than after a run or a game of squash or tennis.
But I aways have problems with my back after a long break. It seizes up - my spine is skew to the right. And it doesn't matter if I warm up before or not. But I'm not complaining - it's motivation for me to keep on playing golf and not to get lazy.😉

Oh my aching ______!

I am gonna go with wallet as the course I joined this year wants $1000 more for next season and I don't think it is worth it so I am gonna be a free agent next season and play at any and every course within a 25 mile radius.  Just no bang for the buck there especially the extra grand.

@Fairway_CY  I feel for ya brutha!  I don't think I could have put up with that for 1 hr let alone 5!  I think I would have just left.  I would rather clean the house than listen to 5 hrs of whining.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

3 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Oh my aching ______!

I am gonna go with wallet as the course I joined this year wants $1000 more for next season and I don't think it is worth it so I am gonna be a free agent next season and play at any and every course within a 25 mile radius.  Just no bang for the buck there especially the extra grand.

@Fairway_CY  I feel for ya brutha!  I don't think I could have put up with that for 1 hr let alone 5!  I think I would have just left.  I would rather clean the house than listen to 5 hrs of whining.

That is what I was going to say. My course recently got a new management company, and some big changes have been made, and more are coming. We are semi private, and they have raised greens fees by $10. They are starting to charge a 4% charge for using a credit card. We have a weekday membership plan that might go away, as might an equipment discount for members. There will be an increase in dues, but we don't know how much.

5 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

That is what I was going to say. My course recently got a new management company, and some big changes have been made, and more are coming. We are semi private, and they have raised greens fees by $10. They are starting to charge a 4% charge for using a credit card. We have a weekday membership plan that might go away, as might an equipment discount for members. There will be an increase in dues, but we don't know how much.

Yikes! Makes me appreciate working at a golf course. Golf is such an expensive sport, I don't know what I would do if I actually had to pay for it. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

Wow, those are some increases.  Might this make you consider going to a different place?

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Yikes! Makes me appreciate working at a golf course. Golf is such an expensive sport, I don't know what I would do if I actually had to pay for it. 

Yes, you are lucky.

My dream job when I retire is to be a starter a couple of mornings a week in Myrtle Beach and then golf for the rest of the day!  Ahhh, that would be so sweet!

27 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Wow, those are some increases.  Might this make you consider going to a different place?

Yes, you are lucky.

My dream job when I retire is to be a starter a couple of mornings a week in Myrtle Beach and then golf for the rest of the day!  Ahhh, that would be so sweet!

I am considering all options for next year, but I want to stay where I am. The staff really treats me well. At least three days per week, I go out at sunrise, and play the back 9. Some days I get there before the pro, and I just go. I have a turf degree, so they don't have to worry about me going when it's frosty, but, otherwise, I have the run of the place. I'm sure my membership dues are going up, but if I have the same access, I'll stay. Also, I really like the course better than the other courses I could join.

32 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I am considering all options for next year, but I want to stay where I am. The staff really treats me well. At least three days per week, I go out at sunrise, and play the back 9. Some days I get there before the pro, and I just go. I have a turf degree, so they don't have to worry about me going when it's frosty, but, otherwise, I have the run of the place. I'm sure my membership dues are going up, but if I have the same access, I'll stay. Also, I really like the course better than the other courses I could join.

Nice.  Sounds like it might be better to stay as you have it good there.  Just factor all the cost updates in and go from there.

I already have my mind made up... Free Agent all the way!!

• Like 1

My shoulder. Rotator issues from pitching.... a lot growing up. My left foot for some reason hurts like hell when I sit for a long period or sleep. I can’t walk down the stairs in the morning.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

23 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

For all my complete lack of coordination in general, I'm usually pain free on the course. Suppose I should enjoy that while it lasts.

My problem comes after I walk a round. My left heel has been getting very sore. Think it's definitely time for some new shoes.

Joined a club this year, allowing me to walk 18 2 or three times a week, resulting in plantar fasciitis. Walking the course doesn't hurt, but getting out of bed in the morning is like stepping on spikes with both heels. Might want to nip that heel pain in the bud. Calf/achilles stretches, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I bring up an ache or a pain, my buddies basically just give me their money on the first tee. I've had a broken bone in my hand after a bunker shot on the first hole. (didn't know until later, but it hurt) Made me ease up on my grip and shoot lights out (for me). If I mention my neck or back issues are flaring up, their eyes roll and I go and beat the snot out them more than usual. Just a few weeks ago, I jacked up my thumb in a surfing incident- 3 days later I hit every fairway, but could barely grab my beer can it would hurt so much. 

All the injuries and aches and pains just seem to get in my head to 'take it smooth and easy" and I do well. As soon I recover, I'm back to normal spray(ish) mode and doing a lot of scrambling.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:46 AM, howellhandmade said:

Joined a club this year, allowing me to walk 18 2 or three times a week, resulting in plantar fasciitis. Walking the course doesn't hurt, but getting out of bed in the morning is like stepping on spikes with both heels. Might want to nip that heel pain in the bud. Calf/achilles stretches, etc.

Yeah. I've kind of been thinking that might be the case.

Suppose I should get a bit more serious about addressing it.

Note: This thread is 2029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!