IGNORED

Anyone Just Accept Their Swing?

Note: This thread is 1992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve said it before but I honestly do not enjoy the ‘scenery, the chit chat with friends, the fresh air’ If I’m playing awful.

I can to a certain extent. Being in good company makes me care less about playing poorly. I still want to play well, but it's easier to shrug off a bad round with friends because I'm not fixated on just golf.

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m on a golf course to play golf and chasing after shanks won’t be mitigated by a colorful bird in a tree. Hell I'm likely to kill the poor thing with my 7i hosel rocket. 

You should relax more. Most people are happy when they get a birdie 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, billchao said:

You should relax more. Most people are happy when they get a birdie 😉

Lol! And this is definitely true. I’m trying to....just as a raven raids my cart and takes off with my power bar.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I would say that I have accepted my swing; at least for the time being.

As things are right now, I don't have time for more than the occasional round of golf. If I'm lucky I'm playing once a month; usually more like once every other month. Between work and two young kids, that's not likely to change for at least a few years. Once it does however, I'll be back to practicing and looking to make improvements. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

Not here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think my body speed is maxed out but the club can move around me much better. I have always believed I can get my body to make it happen. I have gone through several misguided phases (some months, some years) in pursuit until my last one that started a couple of years ago with some serious help. 

I feel like I am blessed with a fairly thick skull to outlast abject humiliation and pain that accompanies terrible swing regressions.  

It might have a permanent WIP sign hung on my swing but that is the scenery. Of course, a beer with friends along the way never hurts either.    

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Sure it can, if I'm playing better golf than I currently am.

Well nobody "likes" to play bad golf but I try and put a bad shot or bad hole behind me and move on.  No sense on ruining the day for a bad shot or hole.  I always want to shoot better than bogey but I don't, that's not gonna keep me off the course.  I play Every Sat!

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Absolutely true for me. It’s my problem but this is why I can’t accept my swing. I’ve said it before but I honestly do not enjoy the ‘scenery, the chit chat with friends, the fresh air’ If I’m playing awful. I can do all the above mentioned in a dozen different ways. I’m on a golf course to play golf and chasing after shanks won’t be mitigated by a colorful bird in a tree. Hell I'm likely to kill the poor thing with my 7i hosel rocket. 

I'm out to play golf as well but I like that I can leave everything behind when I turn off my phone and put it in the bag.  Now its time for golf!  I will be back in like 4 hrs!

True it stinks when you play horrible.  I have done and still do.  I don't always shoot my 88-92.  I hit 100 and 103 once this season.... almost sold my clubs... I would have but I threw the bag in the pond!   LOL just kidding.  I had a beer, looked at what I did wrong and tried to shoot better next time out.

Please don't hosel rocket the pretty birds.  I almost chocked on my water when reading that line. 

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I think there's a small difference between wanting to improve and wanting to improve the swing. I realize you can't have much of the former one some of the latter, but I think there are two extremes...

1) Feel the club head... natural swing... just swing and accept the consequences. This doesn't work for me. My natural swing is even worse than the one where I'm trying. Doing nothing leads me to a level of golf I probably could not learn to enjoy. 

2) Continue to practice my ass off trying to perfect the 5 keys. It took me several years to discover this is a fail. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to just prevent the swing from getting worse.

Really bad golf is no fun, most of us would agree. But neither is continually failing at developing a swing that may be unachievable.

Everyone is different in ability, ego, acceptance, and what they consider enjoyable. So it isn't surprising there are a wide range of replies and from a wide range of skill levels. 

Jon

I refuse to accept my swing lol. My swing produced way too inconsistent results. Just over the last few months of working on my swing I am starting to see changes in ballflights and scores. I am sure this swing change will have a plateau, and then I need to improve the next thing once this one is engrained for the long haul. 

20 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Question: Do you think you accept your swing because you’re a scratch golfer (some natural talent there) or are you a scratch golfer because you just accept your swing? 

Awesome thought Kevin!!!  This takes some thought...im sitting here trying to explain the differences but it's too hard.

• Like 1

I'm 60 and  4 years away from retirement.  I spent quite a bit of time at the range this summer after a lesson in May.  After posting my swing here and getting constructive feedback I signed up for a year of lessons at Golf Tec.  I'm allready seeing an improvement.  Its fun to be able to finally get lessons then practice and see how your improving and being able to self correct.

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Absolutely true for me. It’s my problem but this is why I can’t accept my swing. I’ve said it before but I honestly do not enjoy the ‘scenery, the chit chat with friends, the fresh air’ If I’m playing awful. I can do all the above mentioned in a dozen different ways. I’m on a golf course to play golf and chasing after shanks won’t be mitigated by a colorful bird in a tree. Hell I'm likely to kill the poor thing with my 7i hosel rocket. 

So how much better must you get before you are satisfied? If ever? I had a friend who was a very low HC and stopped playing because he could not get better. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

17 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

So how much better must you get before you are satisfied?

As once was asked to J.D. Rockefeller, "How much money is enough?"

A little bit more.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

As once was asked to J.D. Rockefeller, "How much money is enough?"

A little bit more.

YAY! Golf will always be unconquered, but brings out the desire to be better no matter the HCI. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I accept my swing for sure.  It is what it is.  ;-)

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 9/26/2018 at 8:37 AM, jsgolfer said:

I accept my swing for sure.  It is what it is.  ;-)

You play too much to have time to worry about it.. lol!

Vishal S.

I’ve been told that my swing looks like somebody who is trying to kill a snake with a stick.

I’m just not willing to put in the time and effort necessary to change it to the point that I will improve significantly. It is what it is.  I accept it and simply enjoy the game.  

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!