IGNORED

Long par 3's and trouble with hybrids

Weirdgolf
Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

High handicapper here.  I got a par 3, 187 yards at my local course that I am struggling with.  I bought a hybrid 3 for me to get up there and though I first was hitting it well when I first bought it, now I can't seem to hit it at all.  

My iron game is pretty strong, well, those p-7.  Lately I am working a 4,5, and 6 into rotation with various levels of success.  My 6 though, here lately, I am crushing.  I have a nice easy swing and that ball i soaring!  

So, I was thinking about just using that on the long par 3 and giving up on the hybrid for now.  I top it every single time.  

Anyway, do you guys and gals try to land on green at 187 or lay up?  id rather lay up that 6 I am hitting really well and just chip on.

Thoughts?

I don't know many "high handicappers" with a strong iron game. Myself included.

FWIW: I go into cycles where I am hitting my woods/hybrid really well (really well for me, that is) and often times my iron striking goes in the tanks at the same time.

Then I have stretches where I've had success with my irons and feel confident with them. Often times, my woods don't cooperate. 

My advice, keep playing what works. When you're feeling good with a particular club(s), ride it out.

Even the best in the world rotate between 5 wood, hybrid, 2-3-4 irons more than most people realize.

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Weirdgolf said:

Anyway, do you guys and gals try to land on green at 187 or lay up?

I'm going for the green at 187, but my miss is probably going to result in a nGIR.

I don't know how that would help your game, though. If you can't get on in 2 teeing off the 3h but you can by teeing off the 6i, go with the 6i.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Personally, I see nothing wrong with playing to get up and down for par. That's golf. Some holes just don't favor the game that you have at that moment. I would wager that happens to everyone no matter what handicap. There are just some holes that you feel like escaping with a par is a win. Getting a bogey may be smart golf and damage control. 

I'd say hit the 6 iron. Get it close. Get up and down. Make par (at worst 2 putt bogey) move on to the next hole which is hopefully better suited to your game. 

In the meantime, find a driving range with a 185 - 190 yard target and work on shots to that target. Be smart, play the swing you brought to the course. 

• Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

49 minutes ago, Weirdgolf said:

Anyway, do you guys and gals try to land on green at 187 or lay up?  id rather lay up that 6 I am hitting really well and just chip on.

Thats dependent on what trouble surrounds the green. If its bunkers...im likely going for it unless they are extremely penal bunkers. If it is water/ob, and I can't bail out left or right (or long) then I will lay up and pitch on. 

I believe we should put a little more work than average towards a weakness - whether that's time on the range or figuring it out on the course. I consider distances that are longer than my irons but shorter than my driver an important part of my game.

I'm not saying if we (high cappers) don't hit a green from 180 yards it's a weakness, but if we lack confidence to the point of avoiding clubs altogether, it may warrant the extra work if we're to have a balanced game.  

For the record, I consider 180+ yards to be a long par 3. If it was a tight hole, or if I had a lead I had to protect, I would layup as well. But under most circumstances, I'm going to challenge myself with the club I'm having trouble with. Developing the ability to make decent contact and keep the ball in play with those longer clubs is a big deal, IMO.

Jon

My goal is bogie on long par 3’s.  Lay up,chip and 2 putt. That requires a good day chipping and lag putting for success.  Alot of our courses require carrying water or waste areas so laying up is the smart play from that distance.  

Not sure exactly how far you hit a 6i but from 187...

Take your 6i. Aim for middle of green or front middle edge. Have confidence. Crush it!  Don't fear the club and let it dictate your shot. Me personally i stopped looking at the pin. Went for middle of green. Started hitting greens and building confidence. now i might look at a pin on a par three every once in a while

Edited by CaptainsChoice
forgot to add comment

:tmade: M9.5* Kuro Kage Stiff
:nike: VR Pro 3 Wood 15* Project X 6.0
:nike: VR Pro 3 Iron Project X Rifle 6.0
:tmade: M4 4-6 Project X Rifle 6.0, M4 7-GW KBS Max 85
:cleveland: RTX-3 56* & 60*

Might not be your problem but this has helped me. I have had a hard time hitting woods/hybrids out of the fairway. When I have a wood in my hand the bigger head makes me want to swing it more like my driver, I stand farther from the ball and swing up on it a little. I top it like crazy. I have to remind myself to stand a little closer and swing it like I do my irons staying down on it. This has helped me considerably, hope it helps you.

6 hours ago, SPJr said:

I don't know many "high handicappers" with a strong iron game. Myself included.

Yes, I had to learn to hit each club. Then I had to learn what distances I hit which club under what conditions and whether those were efficient distances or inefficient distances.

[A STORY ABOUT DISTANCES, APROPOS TO NOTHING. I have a friend who works with/for a club builder. They make elite clubs for elite athletes, including college players. I overheard the conversation while visiting:

"How far do you hit your pitching wedge, Kid?"

Kid (proudly), "I hit my wedge 150 yards!"

"So, on a 450 yard par 4, you want to carry one or two clubs to go 150 yards, and 11 to go 300? What are the gaps?" ]

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally, I see nothing wrong with playing to get up and down for par. That's golf. Some holes just don't favor the game that you have at that moment. I would wager that happens to everyone no matter what handicap. There are just some holes that you feel like escaping with a par is a win. Getting a bogey may be smart golf and damage control. 

Yes, THAT is golf! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

My course has 3 out of 4 par threes over 230 from the back. At least the 4th one is only 135, but it's an island green and it's by far the nastiest.

If you're new to the game, keep at it. Hit it a few times and the confidence will come.

Hey guys, thanks for your input.  One thing I just realized is my range's markers are Full of S$#@. I mean it looked like I was flushing my 6 iron 150 + but who can really say at a range.  The important thing was I was hitting confidently and straight.  I just figured even if it just went 150 straight it would be better than the crap I was leaving out there when topping my hybrid.

Also...what cant' I hit my hybrid?!

Most range markers around here can't be trusted. Part of that is how much they have to move the ropes, if it's a turf range, and part of it is 150 yards from one point isn't 150 yards from another. 

The practice facility I typically use posts the 'current' yardages, but I still find them pretty well off. I just take a rangefinder and shoot the distances myself. 

• Upvote 1

Long par 3s can wreck your scorecard. As far as laying up, if you can chip reasonably well, I also think it is the way to go. I'm better off short in front of the green with a decent lie for a low chip or short pitch than I am with a topped shot, or a shot in the trees, or a shot pin high 20 yards right or left of the green with a lob shot over a bunker. Lay up with a club you have confidence n gives you a chip and a par putt, a bogey if you miss the putt close. Swinging for the fences with a club I don't use much generally gives me a lot worse.

Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!