IGNORED

When does it make sense to quit?

Puttwell
Note: This thread is 1981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice. I have played for 25 years, taken over a hundred lessons, gotten down to a 5 handicap at one point... but can no longer break 100. Please be honest - it’s time for me to quit, right?  🙂

Thank you. 

• Administrator

Yes.

Then play lefty.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When does it make sense to quit?

When the snow flies or it's too cold to swing a club!   Seriously, if it's no fun, hang it up.   But I do like @iacas' idea,  switch sides and give it a go for a different challenge

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'll never quit.  Golfers, unlike wine and whisky, do not get better with age.  My glory days may be behind me but I can still play better from one day to the next.  It isn't a contest between my 20 year old self and my 62 year old self.  I want to be the best golfer I can be today.  That may be far removed from yesterday but what other choice is there?  Check out Bernard Darwin on hanging up the sticks.  He decided to retire from playing...but not from the game.  He, like you, was much better than I have ever been.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Health permitting I will never quit either. I am that close to 60 and still improving (I dropped a couple of points in the index in the last year) and even when I won't at some point, I'll move to the next tee box up and keep playing. My long term goal is to shoot my age so realistically, I't will have to wait for another 20 years or so and I'll be on the furthest up tee box by then...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

If I can still shoot the temperature...all is not lost.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

damn, a 5 handicap and can't break 100 anymore?  what happened?

If you hate the game, then quit.  if you're asking when you should quit, it's probably because your addicted, because the frustration of golf is the best part of golf lol

As for myself, it would be hard for me to continue playing if I didn't think I was somehow getting better, or at least staying the same.  But If my game plateaued, I probably wouldn't play as much, or practice at all. At age 36 now, it'll be interesting to see how good I can get before my body starts to take away whatever swing speed I currently have.  Don't think I can be one of those lifer golfers who are playing when theyre 80 and bunting it up the fairway 150 yards when they really get a hold of a drive. Too much of a reminder that I'm ever closer to death lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

If the desire to play golf is really,  really gone, then consider stepping away from the game for a while to see if you are truly done.

Another, better reason, the one that will stop me is when you stop breathing. 

Higher scores/hndcps are no reason to quit. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 minutes ago, Puttwell said:

Thanks, everyone - I appreciate the input!  I tossed the clubs down the basement stairs and cancelled the three tee times I had for this week. I sincerely feel much better already.  🙂  Thank you!

Well hell....toss ‘em in a dumpster far away. If ya gonna be a bear....be a grizzly.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I gave it up for a year when i could no longer make any kind of contact with the ball.  I delved into my other passion, fly fishing for trout, and enjoyed myself.  The golf bug did bite me again and I have continued to be an avid golfer at age 66.  Try taking a break doing something else you enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Piz said:

If I can still shoot the temperature...all is not lost.

I'm impressed.   Of course then I see you don't live anywhere near Michigan. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 hours ago, Puttwell said:

I tossed the clubs down the basement stairs and cancelled the three tee times I had for this week.

That sounds like a lot of tee times for someone who is quitting. Disappointment over diminished play makes sense, but you are probably a bit burned out. I'd guess that a little hiatus is just the thing.

Don't throw the clubs away just yet, because you may feel differently in a few weeks.

I didn't get to play or practice much this year and when I did I barely broke 100. It was so frustrating I thought about quitting, but I kept going for the exercise. I think golf is great exercise. 

I played with a guy last year who was probably a 7 or so, anyway, he told me the lows in this game are pretty low, but you just have to ride them out. Eventually you find your stroke again. 

17 hours ago, Puttwell said:

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice. I have played for 25 years, taken over a hundred lessons, gotten down to a 5 handicap at one point... but can no longer break 100. Please be honest - it’s time for me to quit, right?  🙂

Thank you. 

It may be time to quit keeping score and just going out and hitting the next shot.  Let the score go and enjoy the game.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Note: This thread is 1981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!