IGNORED

What's Your Preferred Putting Tempo?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Putting Tempo  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred putting tempo (see the first post for steps on how to find out)?

• < 64
    • 65-66
    • 67-68
    • 69-70
    • 71-72
    • 73-74
    • 75-76
    • 77-78
    • 79-80
    • 81-82
    • 83+

• Administrator

I prefer to see my players exhibit two pendulum-like things in their putting strokes:

1. A backswing length and follow-through length that are about the same.
  2. A fairly standard rhythm or tempo, defined as either when you take the putter away to when you strike the ball, or the end points of your backswing and follow-through.

Both of those traits are characteristics of a pendulum. The period is the same, and the swing lengths are the same (in a vacuum 😄).

Find Your Tempo

Everyone has a slightly different natural tempo. Some players prefer to have a slower putting stroke (think Ben Crenshaw), while others might putt with a faster tempo (like Brandt Snedeker). Most golfers will fall between about 66 and 80 BPM, but… Here's how to conduct this test to find your natural putting tempo.

1. Download an app like this one for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metronome-tempo-lite/id599833596?mt=8 and set it to 2/4 time if you can.
  2. Start with about 72 BPM.
  3. Take your putter and set up in your address position, and just start swinging your putter back and forth, trying to time either the bottom of the arc as it passes to the left and to the right, or the end points of your stroke (backswing and follow through).
  4. If the metronome feels like it's too slow, and you feel you naturally want to go faster, speed up the tempo. If the metronome feels too fast, slow it down.
  5. Verify this by altering the length of your stroke - try to find a tempo that feels good for short, medium, and long strokes (and thus short, medium, and long putts).
  6. Vote in the poll above and post a response in this topic with your tempo.

@mvmac and I are curious to see what everyone's tempo is.

Me? I'm typically a 78.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried several BPM and the timing which suited my tempo was around 78.

Faster and slower settings caused less control, seemed like a push or pull stroke.

Question? Would tempo vary with distance of the putt? (4 ft versus 20 ft)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Question? Would tempo vary with distance of the putt? (4 ft versus 20 ft)

Uhmmmm… no.

See step 5 and the whole idea of the pendulum stuff. The period remains constant.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I did this several years ago when getting fitted for a putter. The metronome was part of the fitting process. I know the process took a while. 

I think I was some where in the 73-76 range, but I really don't remember, as it was quite a while ago. I am also on my third putter since that fitting.

I have no idea what it would be now, since I have switched to a much heavier putter.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Bumping for some new people to add their votes. This is a good thing for you to find out and know… and practice.

Damn, I'm on the higher end at 84. For those on the site who know me, I've been able to putt relatively pain free for about 2-3 months now. I feel like I'm putting fairly decent (for me), but then again, these putts never have anything on the line.

But yea, Snedeker is definitely a model for me. For some reason, I feel like I hit my start line/have better face control with a more aggressive stroke, but who really knows.

I definitely have a shorter follow-through than backswing as well. It seems to help me with distance control but again, I could be wrong.  

Constantine

Thanks for the bump. Forgot to do this. I got around 60. I use a fairly long putter, 35.5, and tend to do longer easier swings letting gravity take over. I putted a few shots just to verify, both short and long strokes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

First adjustment was turning off Dave Brubeck Quartet. After that I settled pretty quickly into 60s. Felt smoothest and most natural at 62.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Seems I'm really slow

That's really, really low. Are you doing it right? It takes you over a second to go from one end to the other end, or middle to middle?

Can you film yourself doing that and post it?

20 hours ago, iacas said:

That's really, really low. Are you doing it right? It takes you over a second to go from one end to the other end, or middle to middle?

Can you film yourself doing that and post it?

Today it was 56 bpm

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

Today it was 56 bpm

Yes it was. Man that's slow… you've gotta take the putter back pretty far for your uphill 40 footers on stimp 9 greens!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yes it was. Man that's slow… you've gotta take the putter back pretty far for your uphill 40 footers on stimp 9 greens!

Yep, I'm going to try to change. I wonder what the average pga speed is...  maybe I'll go for that. 

Mine is round 76.  I started at the 72 bpm, bumped it up by 2. I got to 78 and found it to be too fast. Dropped it back down to 76 and that felt right. I varied the length of the putting stroke. Yea, I kinda wonder what the PGA tour average is. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to What's Your Preferred Putting Tempo?
  • Administrator

Averages don't matter nearly as much as some of you might think. 64-80 is a pretty good estimate for the range on the PGA Tour.

I'm about an 82. Could even be slightly higher.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!