IGNORED

3 Piece vs 4 Piece Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 1866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have experimented with a number of different golf balls this year and there are many threads on this forum talking about which golf ball to use etc. 

I just want to add a specific question. I can't tell the difference in performance between a 3 piece and a 4 piece ball. I can't tell in my Arccos stats, I can't tell in feel, or my score. 

I will say I think the cover material can make a difference in the feel and "grip" on the green, but 3 vs 4 piece????

It is possible I suppose that my swing speed isn't at a point where I can not pick up a difference with my driver. (My swing speed at my last fitting was close to 110mph. I was really happy with that considering my advanced age.) I currently play 2008 vintage Burner 2.0 irons, so maybe the GI aspects of those irons don't allow me to feel the difference. 

So my question: Is there a difference between a 3 piece and a 4 piece ball? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 3 Piece vs 4 Piece Golf Balls

I have tried both 3, and 4 piece balls. Even tried that Penta 5 piece critter. When I say "tried" I mean plenty of practice, and several rounds of play. Usually over a month or so. 

I shot the same scores, and pretty much all other aspects of my game stayed the same. 

Now, I have slower than average swing speed. I may be above average for my age, but way below average when compared to the pga boys. I mean waaaaaay below

It's my opinion that my slower swing speed does not allow me to take full advantage of multi piece balls. A Taylor Made rep even told me my swing was not fast enough for their 5 piece, Penta ball. 

Another opinion I have is that a golfer should just forget about the hype surrounding golf balls in general. That they should just find a ball they are happy with, and just play that particular ball, regardless of it's manufacturing process.

As a side note. I often wonder if the different types of dimples on a ball are more, or less important than how rhe rest of the ball is made up, with regards to ball speed, and atmospheric conditions.   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

@ChetlovesMer, sorry I did not see you posted as similar question!  I have had friends who have been very much into the "discussion" of 3 vs, 4.  So, I have looked into a few of the balls.  Interesting that in much of the advertising, I see what the various layers are made of, but damned little about how it would affect my scores.  

So, either I am looking at the latest hype in search of more money, or I am too much of a duffer to worry.

To end my discussions of this with some of my argumentative playing partners, I wish I could get some blank balls and "brand" them with a fake name to say "You never heard of these?. And, you call yourself a knowledgeable golfer?". It might shut them up for 9 holes, at least! (I am, at least, capable of beating most of them on the course.)

Thanks @Patch for your reply.  I'll stick with my e6 for now.  I have gotten very much in the know of what to expect when I bring down The Whack of Kahn from my swing!

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 12/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

So my question: Is there a difference between a 3 piece and a 4 piece ball? 

Yes there is a difference, an extra layer. :-P

Now whether or not you will be able to tell/feel/notice a difference, that's an entirely different question.

My guess is for the majority of golfers, they wont notice a difference in their scores. Some might be able to feel a difference between the balls, but unlikely that it will affect their score when looked at with a large enough sample size. (Meaning that if you shot a 78 with a 3 piece ball and a 75 with a 4 piece ball thats only a sample size of one round with each and doesnt prove anything about each ball)

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I may be wrong scientifically as I have no data for my comments. But I don’t buy any of it really. All hobbies become more fun when you dive into the more intricate details. People enjoy saying ‘I like how the ProV1 feels on two foot putts.’ I’ve said this before and I still believe it stands for the believers to prove rather than me disprove:

If I lined up 10 random unmarked golf balls and had a ProV1 advocate putt all of them and tell me which one was the ProV1 I think he/she would pick a different ball most of the time. It’s fun to believe that stuff. Just like Phil saying it ‘would take a month to get used to a different ball.’ Nonsense. But it’s fun to think like that. Just like when the wine experts couldn’t pick a $1000 bottle of wine from a $5. Expert violinists couldn’t pick a Stradivarius violin from a $100 one (and actually preferred the cheap one’s sound). Nah. I don’t buy this ball talk beyond getting better spin with a soft ball compared to a Pinnacle. But it’s fun to believe it’s real detailed and specific. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I may be wrong scientifically as I have no data for my comments. But I don’t buy any of it really. All hobbies become more fun when you dive into the more intricate details. People enjoy saying ‘I like how the ProV1 feels on two foot putts.’ I’ve said this before and I still believe it stands for the believers to prove rather than me disprove:

If I lined up 10 random unmarked golf balls and had a ProV1 advocate putt all of them and tell me which one was the ProV1 I think he/she would pick a different ball most of the time. It’s fun to believe that stuff. Just like Phil saying it ‘would take a month to get used to a different ball.’ Nonsense. But it’s fun to think like that. Just like when the wine experts couldn’t pick a $1000 bottle of wine from a $5. Expert violinists couldn’t pick a Stradivarius violin from a $100 one (and actually preferred the cheap one’s sound). Nah. I don’t buy this ball talk beyond getting better spin with a soft ball compared to a Pinnacle. But it’s fun to believe it’s real detailed and specific. 

I think what you are saying is true to a point. Personally, I know for a FACT that I cannot tell a 3 piece ball from a 4 piece ball. Having said that I'm willing to bet you I could tell a ionomer covered ball from a urethane covered ball on some (maybe all) of the shots around the green. Whether or not it was a Titleist or a Taylormade…. I'm sure I'd have no idea. 

Having said that, I will also tell you (as I've said many times) I currently choose my golf balls based on color. I really like the Volvik Vivid Orange Sherbet ball.... And YES I can tell the Orange Sherbet color from the standard Orange. For what ever reason that seems to be the one I can see the best. 

By the way, it does NOT have a urethane cover... but I'm okay with that.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think you can feel the difference between a urethane and surlyn cover when putting. The urethane feels softer. But it’s the chip, pitches and approach shots that I can really feel it. I did comparisons a few years ago around the green because I am an enginerd and skeptic just like you. I even looked at launch monitor data. 

I played ProV1 and x for a while, but I also rarely paid full price. A lot of people win them or get them as gifts and you can buy them on Craigslist for $30-35. 

But then Snell came out with the MTB series and I switched. I do like the ProV1x still and will play them.

Funny coincidence, the VP of Marketing for Titleist balls was a high school classmate of mine.  I am also from Mass and they make them here, so I do like to give local businesses $ too. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I can appreciate a difference in ‘feel.’ I’m just not real sold on performance for those of us who aren’t hitting 1.48/1.5 smash factor every strike. My skepticism (disappointment) comes from playing vs range distances/ball flight. I’m using floater balls on the range which have been tested to be about 20% less long as a premium golf ball. So when I have my yardages down and consistently fall short on the course while using a ProV1 I get annoyed. Also on occasion I’ll find a shiny ProV1 in my range basket and despite hitting it as solid as my previous floater ball, it doesn’t go any further. Small sample size I know. I wish I could have a basket of floater balls and a basket of ProV1s and just go through and see if I get any differences from it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

As I have said on other threads, I'm 67 now and have had three back surgeries, (my scores reflect it), I can not tell the difference between 2, 3, or 4 piece balls although the 2 piece balls "appear" to travel farther, (no proof of that). I play in a league of older gentlemen and women some of whom are very good players. They talk to me more about a 'compression factor' more than 3 or 4 piece balls, i.e., the higher compression balls should be used by golfers with higher swing speeds. 

I'm not so sure I understand what they are talking about because I look on the boxes of balls in the store and I don't see anything about 'compression' described, I mean how would you know?

What drives my consideration for which ball to use is price. Given the number of balls I can lose I can't play a $4.00 ball, 3 or 4 piece.

I do like TaylorMade Noodles, I have to say they are my favorite. I have no idea what 'compression' they are, and I think they are a 2 piece ball, not sure.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:26 AM, Vinsk said:

Also on occasion I’ll find a shiny ProV1 in my range basket and despite hitting it as solid as my previous floater ball, it doesn’t go any further. 

If I find a shiny ProV1 in my range basket it goes directly into my bag with a quick glance over my shoulder.

Unless, of course, it has a stupid logo or stupid ball markings on it.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested golfballs to see what type of ball suits me best..

Between the 3 piece and 4 piece, to me, the difference was feel and distance. The feel of the 4 piece was better, but because of my slow swingspeed, it costs me distance.

I now play a 3 piece ball.

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not guys, there is a difference between different models, but not every difference can be seen with the naked eye or felt. 

For example, not many players could tell if they were launching a ball 2 or 3 degrees higher than a different model, or if a certain ball was spinning 600-800 rpms more off their driver than another model.  You really need a launch monitor to see information like that.  But that doesn't mean it's insignificant.  If you're the type of player who tends to launch the ball low and put too much spin on it, a model that launches a couple of degrees higher and spins less will help make your trajectory more efficient.  A more efficient trajectory almost always results in more distance.  It might be 6-7 yds off the driver (as an example), which again, most guys can't determine that by eye-balling it.  But a 6-7 yd gain off the driver will be about half of that off the irons, so on a par 4 it would be around 9-11 yds extra.  Who wouldn't want that!  Again, this is just an example.  I can't tell you how many guys told me the Bridgestone e6 felt too hard, but the Pro V1 felt soft.  In reality, the e6 is overall way softer than the Pro V, but because of the difference in sound, and because the Pro V spins a lot more, players perceived the e6 was a rock.

Anyway, to answer the main question, the difference between a 3-piece ball and 4-piece ball is spin separation.  Spin separation means the ball is designed to have reduced spin off the driver and other long clubs, and higher spin off short irons and wedges.  This is a great performance feature.  The lower a ball spins off the driver, the longer and straighter it typically is.  And we all want big spin around the greens for control, right?  So the idea is, a 4-piece ball will spin less off the driver and more around the greens than a 3-piece.  However, the 4-piece ball can be more difficult for some players to compress properly simply because there are more layers.  A 2-piece ball does not have the benefit of spin separation.  With a swing speed of 110 mph, that's enough to compress anything on the market. 

Hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Better balls go further only if you contact them on the spot of the golf club, full swing?

The big difference in the better ball whether a 3 piece or a 4 piece when struck on sweet spot they check up better on the green with full shots. They also check up better for shorter shots.

As far as putting that’s another story 😁

I wouldn't put generalities on this. The composition of each layers probably matters more than the number of layers when comparing 3v4.

I believe the more layers the more the ball reacts differently to different swing speeds. The core is the primary for a driver while the cover is the primary for a wedge shot. I could be wrong.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!