IGNORED

How Much Alcohol Do You Drink?

Mr Puddle
Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had my first beer of 2018 just before Christmas when some relatives came over, a coffee stout brewed in a small distillary up in Greenbay Wisconsin. Maybe one or two small glasses of wine before that in 2018. So, basically, I don’t drink much alcohol. I’ve been thinking of getting a nice bottle of scotch or whiskey to have a little of from time to time, but it will probably evaporate faster than I’ll drink it.

Wisconsin has a fairly significant problem with drunk drivers so there are regular comments from various government and news agencies to drive sober.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends, is it football season?

I'll have a drink or two of Scotch a week, sometimes more if I'm hosting a tasting event.  I have about a third of a bottle of wine a week, more if I make a steak.  I like to drink also when I'm watching live sports, but the event itself dictates the beverage.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a habit of buying a 6-pack of nice craft beer, having one, enjoying it, and letting the rest collect dust in my fridge. Rinse and repeat every so often. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I drink socially. Sometimes there are spurts where I'll have a glass or two of wine with dinner. I would guess at most a bottle of wine a month. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

None.  I used to be quite the drinker but I cut it out of my life.  No reason really, other than the fact that its unhealthy for you both physically and mentally.

For me, I realized that I didnt enjoy drinking itself so much as I enjoyed the social aspect of it and I can enjoy hanging out with friends, even at a bar without drinking a drop of alcohol.  All without the hangover the next day, the excess calories and the other issues that can come from being drunk.

Having said that, Im not opposed to anyone drinking if they choose.  Its your body and your life, do what you want.  Its not what Im all about anymore though.

I used to be quite the imbiber, after all I was born in Milwaukee and went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the 1970's.  After graduation and marriage, my consumption dropped to my now current beer a few times a week (mostly home brewed) and good brandy once or twice a week,  I do not drink when I am the driver, even after a round of golf, as I now need to make sure I replenish electrolytes after a round.  So for me I drink socially, but not when I am involved in a physical activity.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

20 hours ago, Shindig said:

That depends, is it football season?

I'll have a drink or two of Scotch a week, sometimes more if I'm hosting a tasting event.  I have about a third of a bottle of wine a week, more if I make a steak.  I like to drink also when I'm watching live sports, but the event itself dictates the beverage.  

I am a football season ticket holder in the UK. Whilst I only drink 2 or 3 pints a day, a long with a large glass of wine, when I go to football I will always have about 6 pints. It's all part of the game. 

- Simon Hornsby

14 hours ago, DrMJG said:

I used to be quite the imbiber, after all I was born in Milwaukee and went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the 1970's.  

Me too.  I grew up in Racine and graduated Madison in 1980. 

The difference being, I’ve never slowed down!  

59 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I am a football season ticket holder in the UK. Whilst I only drink 2 or 3 pints a day, a long with a large glass of wine, when I go to football I will always have about 6 pints. It's all part of the game. 

You sir, are welcome to come visit our happy little group in Florida anytime.  You’ll fit right in!   :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

While I generally prefer unsweetened ice tee or a carbonated mineral water, I will have a drink or two once in a while.  Averages about 2-4 drinks a month.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Dang, mostly near-teetotalers responding for some reason.  I'll add some balance, ha!

According to those 2-units per day, 14 per week guidelines, I'm definitely a strong "moderate", but it's evenly spread.  Most weeks, I'm definitely drinking something at least 5-6 days out of 7.  While I was off over the holidays, it was 7 out of 7.  Sometimes 1 "unit" (last night was a single beer; the night before, a single glass of wine), but many times, a couple "units"--that'd usually be 1 of my go-to mixers of Old Forester 100 w/Vanilla Coke Zero.  On weekends I might hit the 3 unit mark by adding a beer at some point, but not often, as for me--anything beyond a solid-mellow/comfortably-numb = unpleasant, and less-good at anything I might be trying to do.

@Mr Puddle, okay...looks like you're perhaps a touch over the healthy guidelines, so maybe a cutback could help the ol' liver a little bit. But, umm, relative to your buds--wow--I suppose you're just fine ;-).  I've considered cutting back, myself...but I struggle with the "why?"--when I enjoy it ,and it causes zero problems in my life.

------------

Spoiler

:offtopic:Okay, so there's an Ashley Madison ad on this page for me, lol.  1., NOT due to my cookies/history (at least this one, I promise!). 2., I thought that place died with their breach??  Must be tied into the thread topic somehow. :-P

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Like some of you, coming from Wisconsin, I remember coming off the course with the group on Saturday mornings at around 10-11 AM, and sitting around consuming way too much beer until late in the afternoons. After moving to Florida, my tastes changed to Martini's, about 3 a night, maybe 4 on weekends. While it doesn't leave me with a hangover or any lasting effects that I know of, I have considered cutting back or quitting all together. Actually, I did just that this past month. I haven't had a drink since December 1, and for some reason, I don't miss it. That said, I am probably going to have a Martini  before dinner tonight, and maybe a few more this weekend.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I'd guess that I drink a couple of twelve packs of beer a year.
Probably half of those are around the holidays - NYE, 4th of July, Labor day gatherings.
The rest are single beers after a round of golf or with barbeque or burgers.

Footnote - I drink so infrequently that I cannot embrace the craft/micro-brew industry, because there too many that I don't really like, so I won't try them if I'm only having 1.
My standard beers of choice are Shiner Bock, Bell's Amber, Alaskan Amber or Bud.

Players play, tough players win!

I have a couple of glasses of wine most nights when I get home from work, the occasional beer or two or three after a round depending on the crowd, but I haven't been drunk in years.  My wife sometimes likes to make margaritas, pina coladas or bushwhackers using our awesome Ninja blender, and I can never say no to my wife, so .....

I could care less what the government says about my drinking so long as I do it responsibly.  My feeling about any "vice" is everything is fine in moderation.  When you start needing it is when it becomes a problem.

I greatly prefer weed over alcohol, but that's rare now that I moved from Colorado to Florida.

3 hours ago, BamaWade said:

Dang, mostly near-teetotalers responding for some reason.  I'll add some balance, ha!

According to those 2-units per day, 14 per week guidelines, I'm definitely a strong "moderate", but it's evenly spread.  Most weeks, I'm definitely drinking something at least 5-6 days out of 7.  While I was off over the holidays, it was 7 out of 7.  Sometimes 1 "unit" (last night was a single beer; the night before, a single glass of wine), but many times, a couple "units"--that'd usually be 1 of my go-to mixers of Old Forester 100 w/Vanilla Coke Zero.  On weekends I might hit the 3 unit mark by adding a beer at some point, but not often, as for me--anything beyond a solid-mellow/comfortably-numb = unpleasant, and less-good at anything I might be trying to do.

@Mr Puddle, okay...looks like you're perhaps a touch over the healthy guidelines, so maybe a cutback could help the ol' liver a little bit. But, umm, relative to your buds--wow--I suppose you're just fine ;-).  I've considered cutting back, myself...but I struggle with the "why?"--when I enjoy it ,and it causes zero problems in my life.

Same here. I am surprised by the answers on a website dedicated to golf. Many of the guys I play golf with exceed other posters yearly totals in one or two rounds alone! 

As for myself, I probably drink a bit more than I should. My wife and I enjoy wine, so we go through 2-3 bottles a week. I'll typically enjoy a beer or two while golfing and at least one afterward. And since I have to entertain as part of my job, I will often consume a few additional drinks each month during various dinners or happy hours. 

Rough guess? 10 drinks per week - 520 per year. Seems like a lot when you type it out. But then I eat pretty clean otherwise and stay fairly active, so it hasn't punished my waistline quite yet. And since I never really drink enough to get hungover anymore, I don't have any compelling desire to cut back.

4 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

That said, I am probably going to have a Martini  before dinner tonight, and maybe a few more this weekend.

Have a Vesper, you won't need more than one at a time. :-) 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, half a part Kina Lillet, shaken.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Have a Vesper, you won't need more than one at a time. :-) 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, half a part Kina Lillet, shaken.

You'll also become "Licensed To Kill"

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!