IGNORED

Putting with the Flagstick In? - New 2019 Rules

iacas
Note: This thread is 1905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I'll summarize their charts a bit differently:

Low-COR Stick

Center of the Hole
Dist. In Out
3' 100% 100%
6' 100% 35%
9' 80% 5%

Off-Center
Dist. In Out
3' 85% 40%
6' 40% 10%
9' 0% 0%

Combined Average
Dist. In Out
3' 92.5% 70%
6' 70% 22.5%
9' 40% 2.5%

High-COR Stick

Center of the Hole
Dist. In Out
3' 100% 100%
6' 100% 35%
9' 70% 5%

Off-Center
Dist. In Out
3' 60% 40%
6' 15% 10%
9' 0% 0%

Combined Average
Dist. In Out
3' 80% 70%
6' 57.5% 22.5%
9' 35% 2.5%

I don't like that their sample size was only 20 putts per situation. That means they rolled only 20 x 12 x 2 = 480 putts. I rolled about 5x that number, although I only had one flagstick (it was a heavier, higher CoR flagstick).

Also, I focused mostly on putts that rolled about 7' by or less, as 9' is a pretty bad miss (though of course, it still happens on golf courses).

Center strikes there's almost never a reason to take it out, and on the edges, the advantage is less, but it's still an advantage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice post and e-mail @iacas.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree. Excellent and well presented. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I guess I'm late to the party here. I just read the MyGolfSpy results. 

Good enough for me. I'm leaving it in. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

So a question - I assume that one can still have the flag stick tended like before.  If the flag is leaning towards you in a manner that you don't like, can you have the flag tended such that it is pulled straight up to allow the ball to fall in?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, gbogey said:

So a question - I assume that one can still have the flag stick tended like before.  If the flag is leaning towards you in a manner that you don't like, can you have the flag tended such that it is pulled straight up to allow the ball to fall in?

That's not "tending" the flagstick.

You can straighten out a flagstick or leave it leaning as you found it. You cannot take a flagstick that's straight and make it lean.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, gbogey said:

You can have it tended in the old sense— by having it removed. From rule 13.2:

Purpose of Rule: This Rule covers the player’s choices for dealing with the flagstick. The player may leave the flagstick in the hole or have it removed (which includes having someone attend the flagstick and remove it after the ball is played), but must decide before making a stroke. There is normally no penalty if a ball in motion hits the flagstick.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Yeah, in other words, you can't have someone hold the flag if you choose to leave it in.  (especially at the moment of contact).  Kind of a 'no kidding' kind of thing.

Bill - 

• Administrator
social

A new rule change has left golfers pondering whether leaving the flagstick in the hole might increase their likelihood of sinking putts.

LSW site linked to in this one.

I found the results of my testing done last year, too, while looking around for my old TI-83 so my daughter can use it for her AP Stats class.

• Administrator

BTW, on the PGA Tour, a friend and I estimate that this could affect 300-700 putts per year. Consider:

• Over 10,000 putts are hit from outside 10' that go 4' beyond the hole each year on the PGA Tour.
  • The above number doesn't include putts that hit the back or side of the hole and stay within 4', but would have gone 4+' beyond.
  • What percentage of those would have hit the stick?

That's a big number.

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

BTW, on the PGA Tour, a friend and I estimate that this could affect 300-700 putts per year. Consider:

• Over 10,000 putts are hit from outside 10' that go 4' beyond the hole each year on the PGA Tour.
  • The above number doesn't include putts that hit the back or side of the hole and stay within 4', but would have gone 4+' beyond.
  • What percentage of those would have hit the stick?

That's a big number.

Given that there are something like +15000 rounds per year on the PGA tour this isn't sounding like a big number - 700 putts is like .05 putts per round.  

I think what we all have to remember is for the flag to help get the ball in the hole the ball still needs to hit the hole - even for pros not a high percentage from longer distances.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Given that there are something like +15000 rounds per year on the PGA tour this isn't sounding like a big number - 700 putts is like .05 putts per round.

700 shots is a lot of shots to be affected by something like the flagstick rule. I consider that to be a SIGNIFICANT difference.

41 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I think what we all have to remember is for the flag to help get the ball in the hole the ball still needs to hit the hole - even for pros not a high percentage from longer distances.

It's not, but again, it's not like these things get spread out evenly. Someone could save multiple shots per round and win a tournament one day, or on the final green of a major someone who hits a less skillful putt could win over someone who hits a more skillful putt because of this completely unnecessary change to the Rules of Golf.

I get that it's a small percentage, but it was completely unnecessary and may have even been counter-productive: Quick perusal of the comments on the WSJ article indicate that it may actually SLOW the pace of play, which I've been saying for well over a year now.

I'm not a fan of the rule but I'm not sure it changes much when it come to results as how many times in an average round does the ball hit the cup and not go in.

As to pace of play, very limited experience so far but:

Old method - flag is in until everyone is on green.  Flag removed, then long lag putts, shorter putts, etc.

New method - flag stays in while long lag putts are taken.  Once all players are within 10-15 feet, flag often gets pulled. Gut feeling is that longer lag putts are being taken a little quicker under new rules.

So overall a very slight improvement in pace of play.  But if it gets to the point where this guy wants in out and next guy doesn't, forget about it. Time to find new playing partners.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I'm not a fan of the rule but I'm not sure it changes much when it come to results as how many times in an average round does the ball hit the cup and not go in.

That's not the point.

Missed penalties in the NFL happen frequently and don't always affect the game, too, but when they occur in the waning minutes of a conference championship game, they matter quite a bit.

New method - flag stays in while long lag putts are taken.  Once all players are within 10-15 feet, flag often gets pulled. Gut feeling is that longer lag putts are being taken a little quicker under new rules.

Read the WSJ comments. Players are taking it out, putting it back in, taking it back out, etc.

So overall a very slight improvement in pace of play.  But if it gets to the point where this guy wants in out and next guy doesn't, forget about it. Time to find new playing partners.

Only when the group basically just leaves it in the whole time.

The number of instances where someone was far away and ready to putt while nobody was available to tend the flag were few and far between. That situation is/was rare.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Read the WSJ comments. Players are taking it out, putting it back in, taking it back out, etc.

Not my experience so far.  That would definitely slow things down and be very frustrating if it did happen.

1 hour ago, gbogey said:

MY observation so far.  Very slight improvement, let's say 10-15 seconds per hole on average.  Obviously not meaningful.  But as long as the flag either stays in or comes out and stays out, it shouldn't slow things down.  Hoping that the multiple outs and ins doesn't become a norm.

4 hours ago, iacas said:
social

A new rule change has left golfers pondering whether leaving the flagstick in the hole might increase their likelihood of sinking putts.

LSW site linked to in this one.

Looks like this requires a subscription to WSJ.  Do you know if the article is listed elsewhere?

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Looks like this requires a subscription to WSJ.  Do you know if the article is listed elsewhere?

There are easy ways around that. Google the title.

Note: This thread is 1905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!