IGNORED

Steve Stricker, U.S. Ryder Cup Captain 2020

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

logo.svg

Steve Stricker is bringing a whole new meaning to a home Ryder Cup. In what has seemed like a formality for months...

If this is belongs elsewhere please move it. Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I know he’s a nice guy. I just find him to be a total bore. We certainly need some redemption after that ass handling we got last year. What do you guys think of Stricker for captain?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Being a bore may not necessarily be a bad thing for a Captain. I think he will do well. I like Stricker but agree he is not as exciting to watch as others.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I don't think captains really matter that much, so whatever. Seems like he'll be a good face for the US side of the tournament, and that's probably the most important thing.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• iacas changed the title to Steve Stricker, U.S. Ryder Cup Captain 2020
  • Administrator

I moved it. Tour Talk, yes. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, TN94z said:

Being a bore may not necessarily be a bad thing for a Captain. I think he will do well. I like Stricker but agree he is not as exciting to watch as others.

Jim Furyk wasn't exactly a ball of fire, either!

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I know he’s a nice guy. I just find him to be a total bore. We certainly need some redemption after that ass handling we got last year. What do you guys think of Stricker for captain?

I think he's popular on tour, and has earned a lot of respect as one of those guys who did the most with his game. I don't mind that he seems low key. Kinda feel like most pro golfers are a bore. How interesting can you be when your entire life is hitting a little dimpled ball with a bunch of wacky looking sticks?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I think he's popular on tour, and has earned a lot of respect as one of those guys who did the most with his game. I don't mind that he seems low key. Kinda feel like most pro golfers are a bore. How interesting can you be when your entire life is hitting a little dimpled ball with a bunch of wacky looking sticks?

Well I believe it’s essentially the players who win the cup and aside from choosing players/pairings they have little effect. But I just don’t think it would hurt to have a captain who can bring some fire and sadly maybe some discipline to the team if need be. Maybe Stricker can do that. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I think the guys on the Team would want to play hard for him. His knowledge of Whistling Straits and the wind off the Lake may come in pretty handy.

• Like 2

Furyk was milk toast and so is Sticker. I though Furyk looked lost in France. Hopefully Stricker will have a home field advantage. I don't think the captain means all that much anyway. The players have to play. It's like I tell the kids I coach...once the game starts, I'm just a spectator. The hay is in the barn on game day.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

If I'm not mistaken, he's the first non-major winner to be a US Captain since Dow Finserwald in 1977. Not that I think that makes much of a difference. I think it was the choice everyone expected. It's in his home state on a course he presumably knows well, there really wasn't many other choices. I think it's still too early for Zach, Phil, and Tiger, who I think are the 3 next captains.

As for his boredom, we're a country who has chosen Furyk, Love, Azinger, Sutton, Strange, Lehman....they're not exactly bolts of lightning, either. Bottom line is players have to play. Too much is put on the pressure of the captain. In a close 14.5-13.5 match you can judge a decision or two, but when we have been killed like we have in some of these RCs, it's on the players.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

If I'm not mistaken, he's the first non-major winner to be a US Captain since Dow Finserwald in 1977. Not that I think that makes much of a difference. I think it was the choice everyone expected. It's in his home state on a course he presumably knows well, there really wasn't many other choices. I think it's still too early for Zach, Phil, and Tiger, who I think are the 3 next captains.

As for his boredom, we're a country who has chosen Furyk, Love, Azinger, Sutton, Strange, Lehman....they're not exactly bolts of lightning, either. Bottom line is players have to play. Too much is put on the pressure of the captain. In a close 14.5-13.5 match you can judge a decision or two, but when we have been killed like we have in some of these RCs, it's on the players.

Of course. I’m just remembering my sports days and how a coach could really inspire us. A little different I know. But like when Ben Hogan made that locker speech that @mvmac posted about not wanting his name associated with a losing team...The young guys particularly can play so different when their attitudes are in motion to win. Something needs to trigger them. Look at Tiger ...pretty mediocre if not plain lousy RC record considering his dominance. Yet in a match play Stephen Ames made the mistake of pissing him off and look what happened 9&8? 

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Of course. I’m just remembering my sports days and how a coach could really inspire us. A little different I know. But like when Ben Hogan made that locker speech that @mvmac posted about not wanting his name associated with a losing team...The young guys particularly can play so different when their attitudes are in motion to win. Something needs to trigger them. Look at Tiger ...pretty mediocre if not plain lousy RC record considering his dominance. Yet in a match play Stephen Ames made the mistake of pissing him off and look what happened 9&8? 

True, but looking at the crop of guys who were being considered, there really wasn't a whole lot of energy to choose from. David Duval, Justin Leonard, Steve Stricker, David Toms, Stewart Cink....all "eh". Zach Johnson will make a great captain but still think he's playing to make the teams. He and Phil should be the next two captains. Freddie doesn't seem to want it. One guy I think would have made a good captain was Steve Jones but he was always made a vice-captain.

17 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

True, but looking at the crop of guys who were being considered, there really wasn't a whole lot of energy to choose from. David Duval, Justin Leonard, Steve Stricker, David Toms, Stewart Cink....all "eh". Zach Johnson will make a great captain but still think he's playing to make the teams. He and Phil should be the next two captains. Freddie doesn't seem to want it. One guy I think would have made a good captain was Steve Jones but he was always made a vice-captain.

Justin Leonard? Really? Total flash-in-the-pan career.

Editing this - I guess he won as much as Stricker! Just hasn't been competitive for a longer time...

Edited by chspeed

19 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Justin Leonard? Really? Total flash-in-the-pan career.

Editing this - I guess he won as much as Stricker! Just hasn't been competitive for a longer time...

No his career ended early, but he has 12 wins, one being a major and one being a Players. Also believe he was a US Am. champ.

Lets just hope the players do a better job than they did last time. They, for the most part are the ones who win, or lose these things.. 

Stricker will handle his captain's duties well enough I believe, but it still boils down to the players, playing to win. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yet in a match play Stephen Ames made the mistake of pissing him off and look what happened 9&8? 

And don't forget him winning six straight USGA championships as an am/junior.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

53 minutes ago, mvmac said:

And don't forget him winning six straight USGA championships as an am/junior.

Good call Mike. I’d sure like to see Tiger in a RC where he’s just on..and angry. Last year he was just exhausted. I just hope the young guys don’t have any ‘quarrels’ like what happened last time. Maybe Stricker has enough respect amongst the players that it won’t happen again.

Note: This thread is 1856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!