IGNORED

29 Signs You Take Golf Too Seriously

iacas
Note: This thread is 1870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Take Golf Too Seriously  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 29 items in the first post apply to you?

• 0 (None)
    • 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-13
    • 14-19
    • 19-24
    • 25+

On 2/28/2019 at 3:13 PM, lastings said:

white belt and pants are right over there..

You white pants people must play in very different conditions than I do. If I owned anything white, it would not be white anymore.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I enjoy a good Scotch but not while reading any of those books, I want to stay awake while enjoying Scotch.

I have a brush to clean my grooves and use it all the time.

And I have stated that I am better then this, usually ending the sentence with really.  While being totally embarrassed while saying it. 

My dad had white polished leather spikes, white belt, white pants, white shirt and red hair.  It was a sight to behold as he went down the fairway.  That's as close as I will come to that outfit.

I don't own a range finder but after this I am tempted to get one just to use on the green to see what my buddies would say.  It would be hilarious, for those of you that do I applaud you.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Groove Brush

White belt

My regular weekend group plays $2/hole, $4/birdie, $10/eagle

Stock/hard 7i

Alignment sticks ...although every round I play is competitive as I'm trying to beat my previous best 

Iron covers are taken off after I put my bag on the pull cart, and put back on after the round is over.

I am usually yelling, "oh God... NOOOOOOOO!"

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Groove cleaner

check yardage on chips

fix my divot and one other

refer to courses as, ‘you know, the one we played last Thursday’

I have a club brush but I usually forget it at home. And I have quoted lines from Golf in the Kingdom but don't do so regularly seeing as I don't want to get my brains knocked out! 

#11 made me laugh! My buddy's Son's friend is an "erratic" golfer to put it mildly. We were out last year and he said that very phrase. I whispered to my buddy, "Hell! I can remember. It's the last time we played with him!" 

I have iron covers for storage. I wear my spikeless Ecco hybrids almost everywhere, so yes, I’d wear them to Top Golf. I have a groove cleaning brush that gets used regularly. And I use a rangefinder for most shots to about 40 yards due to probably having some of the worst depth perception of anyone you’ve ever met. 

A "be the right club today" story, almost.

About ten years ago I was playing Totter Ridge, a course about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh (iacas might know it). Tenth hole, and one of my playing partners hits first from the fairway. He says "Be the right club, bitch." I said, "You hit it fat. You're short." He lands on the fringe short of the green. He was like "How'd you know I hit it fat?" I said "I have eyes." So he starts swearing at me and I'm laughing.

I had 145 to the pin. I hit a super solid eight iron and I say "Be the right club, bitch." One hop, into the hole for eagle. I ran circles around the two carts pointing at my buddy.

"Witty golf quote."

I have a white belt...somewhere....never worn it.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have a club brush; it's somewhere in my bag, not on it, I think.  And I have alignment sticks that occasionally stay in my bag for a round or two post-practice, and though I "play in" the occasional competition, saying I "play competitively" is a stretch. ;-)

Edited by BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Just one: I do use my rangefinder on pitches (down to 40 yards or so): it only takes me a couple of seconds, so why not?

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 3/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, Bucki1968 said:

I have a white belt...somewhere....never worn it.

i haven't had a white belt since I went to college in the 70's! 

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

Just one: I do use my rangefinder on pitches (down to 40 yards or so): it only takes me a couple of seconds, so why not?

I don't have a rangefinder or a GPS unit, but my buddy does, He'll go running up to my ball on less than full pitches to give me yardage! I ask him how precise does he think I am? At that range I depend more on my eyes and the general feel of the shot. 

5, maybe 6.

#2, 6 (sometimes more times per round than on approaches, especially at my home course), 12, 13, 16 (unless my league tournaments count as playing competitively, also my alignment stick is a TST one).  I own two white belts (a TW one and one I did for a member review a few years ago), but no white pants.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:07 PM, phillyk said:

4) i wear spikes to matted ranges. I havent been to topgolf but i was thinking I probably would when given the chance to go there. 

I've never been to Top Golf, but why wouldn't one wear spikes to a mat range?  I have trouble swinging in my sneakers.  For that matter, I have an older pair of golf shoes in my golf room (which I need to get back to using) which is a mat.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I have yelled "be right" or something along those lines. I do own iron covers. I don't carry a brush, but I do carry a white towel with one end wet(just like the pros, LOL).

I think I may have a few other golf nerd habits that aren't on the list, and I won't bring them up here.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

20 minutes ago, dbuck said:

think I may have a few other golf nerd habits that aren't on the list, and I won't bring them up here.

Shouldn't spending free time (or work time, ahem) on a golf forum count towards our golf "nerdiness"?

• Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!