IGNORED

Callaway Golf Announces New Chrome Soft Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 3218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Callaway Golf announced their new Chrome Soft ball today which will be available January 16th.

From Callaway:

Quote:

Chrome Soft is the only ball that has the proprietary SoftFast Core with low compression and a Tour Urethane cover. This leads to low spin off the tee for incredible ball speed and exceptional distance. It also lets players compress the ball on iron shots for incredibly soft feel, and provides excellent control and consistency so you can get aggressive on shots into the green.

No other ball combines all of these things in one package, and our optimized aerodynamics makes it fly even better in all conditions. With Chrome Soft, you don’t have to choose between feel and hitting it farther anymore. This is the ball that changed the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At $37 a dozen it should be good I would think. I might give them a try when I see them on the shelf.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm not sure how they can claim that this is "the golf ball that will change golf balls"...it's pretty much a copy of the B330-RX, just 6 years later. Every feature that they mentioned can be said about the RX...it's a 65 compression ball, it has a urethane cover, low driver spin, it's long and straight etc.  I'm surprised when they started talking about the compression, they discussed that most tour balls are somewhere around 95-105, and the softer models are about 85-90, but the Chrome Soft goes down to 65 (which is a big difference) but they act like it's revolutionary, and completely ignore the RX and RXS, almost as if they don't exist!

I would have more respect if they said this ball was designed to directly compete with the RX and RXS rather than tout it as a new concept in golf ball design that will change the industry!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm not sure how they can claim that this is "the golf ball that will change golf balls"...it's pretty much a copy of the B330-RX, just 6 years later. Every feature that they mentioned can be said about the RX...it's a 65 compression ball, it has a urethane cover, low driver spin, it's long and straight etc.  I'm surprised when they started talking about the compression, they discussed that most tour balls are somewhere around 95-105, and the softer models are about 85-90, but the Chrome Soft goes down to 65 (which is a big difference) but they act like it's revolutionary, and completely ignore the RX and RXS, almost as if they don't exist!

I would have more respect if they said this ball was designed to directly compete with the RX and RXS rather than tout it as a new concept in golf ball design that will change the industry!

I like both the RX and RXS, and like the Callaway Supersoft. With an MSRP of $37.99, hopefully it will have a "street price" around $30. I have kinda ignored mid-priced balls like the Titleist NXT for a long time, not because I didn't like any of them, but because I would rather pay a little more for the premium ball -like the RX at a street price of $36- if I had a perceived need greater than the Solo at the $20 price point. If I could get RX/RXS feel and performance at the $30 price point, I think I am a customer.

I will definitely try a dozen of the new Callaway when they come out, and see if they are enough to drag me off the Solo/Duo/Supersoft as an everyday ball.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

So many different golf ball models from Callaway and not enough time to try them all .... ;-) .    I like Titleist way of keeping to a few line of balls - DT, Nxt Tour, Pro v1 - year after year.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So many different golf ball models from Callaway and not enough time to try them all .... .    I like Titleist way of keeping to a few line of balls - DT, Nxt Tour, Pro v1 - year after year.

This is something I think all the manufacturers would be wise to learn.   Considering the number of people who get prototypes in the mail to try, it would appear Titleist makes changes to their balls just about as often as the others do but by keeping the same name, they have an advantage in that people don't have to guess what ball this year corresponds to the ball they played last..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Sounds like good marketing to me combining the extraordinary success of the Supersoft (notice the packaging) and the dedicated players of the Chrome +.

• 3 weeks later...
Recently watched a review of the new balls and the spin and distance look good if the price is to believed. Will putting a dozen of these in the bag when they land mid Jan.

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

The first video has been removed by user.

Fixed, it was just a promo video.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...
Played my first round with these balls the other day. Shot my best score too. First drive off the tee was surprising given how soft these feel. Came off the face like a much harder ball. Nice flight too. It's around the greens that these balls shine. They are buttery soft, like the old balata balls. On the green they rolled really well. Definitely my new ball for this season. I was a little worried about the durability but after a full round with the same ball I couldn't see a deal of difference between that ball and the rest of the three pack in my bag! I am seriously impressed. Given its price point it's got to be worth a look imho.

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

Played my first round with these balls the other day. Shot my best score too. First drive off the tee was surprising given how soft these feel. Came off the face like a much harder ball. Nice flight too.

It's around the greens that these balls shine. They are buttery soft, like the old balata balls. On the green they rolled really well. Definitely my new ball for this season.

I was a little worried about the durability but after a full round with the same ball I couldn't see a deal of difference between that ball and the rest of the three pack in my bag! I am seriously impressed. Given its price point it's got to be worth a look imho.

That's encouraging...just got my chrome soft balls today...Ahhh, the days of balata  Titliest DT wound 90's... :-D

Local Callaway rep was really touting how great these golf balls were.  He went on to say how much Phil loved them, so I asked if Phil was going to use them to which he said, "no", so I guess Phil didn't love them that much.

I'll give them a try, though at $37 they better be better than Hex Black Tours or Pro V1 2012's which I can get for  less than $1 / ball pre-owned.

Joe Paradiso

Has anyone had a chance to try this ball yet?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!