IGNORED

Gear Effect Pop Quiz, Where Did This Ball Go?

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. The ball went...

• In the fairway
    • Right rough, trees on the right
    • Left rough

Good player, plays for Duke. Where do you think this ball went and why?

Answer here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/83179/gear-effect-pop-quiz-where-did-this-ball-go/18#post_1167824

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted fairway. Looks to me like he's trying to hit a high draw, which will start right (hence the club facing right at impact).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm confused did he hit it with the bottom of the driver?

I don't want to give it away right now but he didn't hit it on the bottom of the club.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The club looks like he hit the ball off the toe which would make the ball curve to the left, and the ball looks like it is headed for the right trees, so I'm guessing it's a big right to left shot that found the fairway.

Looks like he blocked the shot to the right.

Also, guessing the club twisted after impact.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I think he hit the toe and ended up with much more draw than usual and ended in left rough.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I saw the source and answer and was thinking fairway then thought about it longer and changed it to left rough before seeing the answer. I was wrong on the distance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm going with left rough. Looks like he missed it too much towards the toe, thus the open face. Gear effect will turn the ball left.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Fairway. Starting right side, decent draw. Everything (to me) at that position looks decent and he's definitely not casting OTT. Hitting from the inside etc would suggest a nice draw to me. The oddity is the apparent clubface position, which looks waaayyyyyy right. Going to hope that's simply an oddity! Given he's a decent player, I don't think he's likely to be doing anything really hideous or be hitting the ball way out on the toe.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I'm going with toe hit and left rough.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My first thought was toe hit, left rough. That face is really open though. I would think his grip would be firm enough to stop a toe hit from twisting the club that far.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

i'm going to assume this is some sort of club head malfunction and he very well could have hit it right down the middle.  everything else looks awfully good.

Toe hook in the left rough.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Toe hook in the left rough.

That's what I voted for and I have no insight. Fairway could be an answer too. I'd bet a lot that it's not right rough.

A driver clubhead can twist open A LOT when struck toward the toe:

@misty_mountainhop , you know the ball starts where the FACE points and curves away from the path, right? Most pull-hooks aren't from OTT moves, and you can easily start the ball left with a path that's outward. (The "ball flight laws" assume centered contact, which this obviously wasn't.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Parking lot was not one of the options? Neither was "behind him".

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

@misty_mountainhop , you know the ball starts where the FACE points and curves away from the path, right? Most pull-hooks aren't from OTT moves, and you can easily start the ball left with a path that's outward. (The "ball flight laws" assume centered contact, which this obviously wasn't.)

@iacas I get that. Would be a bit disappointed if this was an extreme toe strike and hook into left rough - the clubhead image seemed a bit obvious. Maybe not - doh.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!