IGNORED

What's the worst, most embarrassing shot you've ever seen?

GolfTheMoon
Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pro? Steve Stricker hitting a shank at Merion.

When I was young one the neighborhood guys was strong and could swing hard but it resulted in some bad shots one of which went 90 degrees from his target line which was pretty damn funny at the time. Big swing and weak squibber that went 90 degrees right.

That's an easy one. I was the first to go off the 1st tee in front of 3 guys I had never met before. I was the first to go because they couldn't decide who should go first. I tee'd up, took my 250 yard driver swing, and topped the ball. It was pretty bad. Ball probably went 10 yards into the brush next to the tee box, They all looked at each other like WTH is he doing here? The starter even had a chat with me as to well it seemed I didn't play. Told him to pack sand, and go bother someone else. The starter, and the three other players were all friends.

Long story short. I took my medicine, added the extra strokes and continued on. Walked off the first green some 4 strokes behind, as my second shot was not that good either. It was pretty embarrassing to say the least. Of course as we walked off the 18th green, I had a 3 shot lead on all the other folks in our group. One guy came up, shook my hand, and said: "that first hole was an exception to your game wasn't it?" Then he bought me a beer.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's an easy one. I was the first to go off the 1st tee in front of 3 guys I had never met before. I was the first to go because they couldn't decide who should go first. I tee'd up, took my 250 yard driver swing, and topped the ball. It was pretty bad. Ball probably went 10 yards into the brush next to the tee box, They all looked at each other like WTH is he doing here? The starter even had a chat with me as to well it seemed I didn't play. Told him to pack sand, and go bother someone else. The starter, and the three other players were all friends.

Long story short. I took my medicine, added the extra strokes and continued on. Walked off the first green some 4 strokes behind, as my second shot was not that good either. It was pretty embarrassing to say the least. Of course as we walked off the 18th green, I had a 3 shot lead on all the other folks in our group. One guy came up, shook my hand, and said: "that first hole was an exception to your game wasn't it?" Then he bought me a beer.

I did that every time I played for my first 5 rounds or so.  Recently at least my topped dribbles have made it past the ladies tees.  I did bomb a few roofs last outing again.  I am waiting for the day I hear glass shatter or someone comes out and tells me what they think of my golf game.  I will not hesitate to point at my playing partner and tell them with a dead straight face "I tried to tell him not to hit his driver on this hole since he always slices it".

That's an easy one. I was the first to go off the 1st tee in front of 3 guys I had never met before. I was the first to go because they couldn't decide who should go first. I tee'd up, took my 250 yard driver swing, and topped the ball. It was pretty bad. Ball probably went 10 yards into the brush next to the tee box, They all looked at each other like WTH is he doing here? The starter even had a chat with me as to well it seemed I didn't play. Told him to pack sand, and go bother someone else. The starter, and the three other players were all friends.  Long story short. I took my medicine, added the extra strokes and continued on. Walked off the first green some 4 strokes behind, as my second shot was not that good either. It was pretty embarrassing to say the least. Of course as we walked off the 18th green, I had a 3 shot lead on all the other folks in our group. One guy came up, shook my hand, and said: "that first hole was an exception to your game wasn't it?" Then he bought me a beer.

Shouldve told that dmbazz starter thats its the first swing of the day and if he thought everyones shots were supposed to be good.Few weeks ago I kinda topped my first drive in tournament and 84 strokes later I was holding the trophy.

If you're posting about yourself, here's a video to make you feel a little better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiyEyDwuq_Q

Ha ha! I remember watching that live. I actually started to kinda like Na after that. As they walked to the next tee, Na said to his caddie, "how many strokes was that? I think it was somewhere between 10 and 15" and his caddie said, "I dunno, there gonna have to go to video to figure that out." I thought he handled it pretty well, imagine if that had been Bubba!

What's really impressive is he finished the round at 8 over, which is pretty freakin' awesome considering he was 12 over on that hole alone. :bugout:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Doing that on your first shot is the worst! It gets in your head and can be a big mental block for the rest of the round when you do it in front of people you don't know. You get that feeling they're always judging each shot. Glad to hear you managed to come back!

I've seen some awful stuff but it seems worse if I do it. Last year I had a +1 37 hanging out there so I went to the course the afternoon before handicap revision hoping to get a good 9 in to combine with it because I was chasing a handicap at the time. It was slow so I decided to play the back because I rarely don't shoot sub 40 on that side. Decide I am going to cut the corner and pound it down by the green and go for birdie. Had to of caught it on the perfect spot just around the toe of the driver because the ball went a dead 90 degrees from where I was standing popping up hard and flew over the house next to 10 tee. I ended up making a double and it was the first time in a long time I didn't shoot sub 40 on that side. Worse thing was it started a streak of weird, messy toe shots with that drive so many I actually stopped using it for a while.

Dave :-)

Easy - I had a friend who let's just say was a little nerdy in high school. However, he caddied at a prestigious country club and got a little bit of a head about his golf game. He invited a friend and I to caddie day where we got to play the course. We were paired up with an elderly club member to complete the foursome. My friend teed off first, and waggled like Ted Knight in Caddyshack. A real ham. He then hit the ball off the toe of the driver directly perpendicular to the target line and whacked the old man in the jaw with the ball, knocking him on the ground. The best part was the kid had no idea where the ball went. He was peering down the fairway with his hand over his eyes asking where it went while the old codger lay on the ground massaging his jaw and my friend and I held each other up from trying not to piss ourselves with laughter.Luckily the guy was fine and we completed 18.

At my parents club they have a shootout every year with a top prize of 20k. It's a pretty big deal it brings in some really good players and there are actually spectators there. Coors sponsors it and for an amateur event it has a PGA event vibe, tents set up, local news celebs and politicians are there. My step-dad and me entered in 2013 and there were about a hundred people standing around the 1st tee watching. He gets up and heels a driver the ball goes about 15 feet left and bounces off a huge pine tree right back to his feet. He is clearly rattled but grabs a fairway and proceeds to whack it again into the tree right next to the first one.

Dave :-)

Kevin Na should have teed off yet again with a 5 iron not as a provisional rather than play out of those woods. That was not a smart decision.

The most embarassing shot I've made? During a tournament a two inch drive. I took my full swing and barely clipped the ball. I wish I'd missed it altogether. Short par 4. Ended with a par.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

For me, we had 8 guys gathered at the first tee for an informal scramble, most I knew but half I had never played with.  I was first off and just knicked the ball with the toe, off it went at about 80 degrees at 30 yards.  They all said "Take another - first swing" and all.. So I put another ball out.  You know what happened - this time it went much higher, still 80 degrees and 35 yards out...  One guy speaks up and says "At least some of us have seen you play before..." and told the others that I wasn't 'that bad'.  Arrrggg...  I Made up for it by putting us on the green with my groups second shot, but that opening was in my head all round.

I think my worst was on a par 4 with a dog leg to the left.  I was playing with 3 other people that I barely knew and it was early spring so I was still in my whiff and topping faze.  My tee shot on #17 with the driver went about 30 feet into the rough directly in front of the tee box.  I then took a whack at the ball and it went about a foot.  My next shot topped out about 50 yards and went into the rough again.  I hacked at it and it just ticked the ball and it went about a 3 inches into the air and sat right back down were it started.  I took another swing and it sailed into the woods.  I told the guy I'm picking up and dropping so I can get around the turn.  I dropped the ball to what I thought was enough room around the turn to take a stab at the green.  I hit my shot solid but the alignment was way off along with the swing and it corked a big tree right in the middle of the trunk.  The ball came rocketing back right at me and I tried sticking my hand out like a dummy to catch it.  I missed and it went right into the cart and ping ponged a couple of times off the windshield and frame.   The ball came to rest on the floor of the cart and I said I'll sit this hole out.   That shot was the most embarrassing one because it will be remembered unlike the too many to list tops, dribbles, shanks, and tickers that I've thrown out there.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I saw two golfers do pretty much the same thing almost 45 years apart on similar lake-fronted Par 3s.

Circa 1970, I was caddying in the U.S. Open local qualifying for St. Louis area. I agreed to carry for an unheralded assistant club pro from the southeast part of the state. In AM, he played St. Louis Country Club, and shot about two over par. Quite a feat on a course he had only played once.

In PM, he played at Old Warson Country Club, where I normally caddied. He has nine pars and three bogies going into No. 13, a 165-yards shot across a lake. Anyway, he takes a 6 iron, and proceeds to shank four straight shots into the lake in front of the green. All came up about 15 yards short right. He withdrew from the qualifying, gave me $10, took his bag and walked away.

This past summer, another guy and I were playing in an amateur circuit event. We came up to No. 12, a 145-yd Par 3 with a lake guarding the right half of the hole. Hole had a quartering headwind blowing toward the lake. I hit an easy 6i, and pull it to just off the left front of the green. The other guy takes a 7i and proceeds to hit an alternating mix of shanks and high pushes that all land in the water. Finally, he takes a 5 iron and punches a shot that rolls over the green, back left. To his credit, he gets up and down from 50 feet for a 15.

(PS, I'm really glad I hit first!)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think my worst was on a par 4 with a dog leg to the left.  I was playing with 3 other people that I barely knew and it was early spring so I was still in my whiff and topping faze.  My tee shot on #17 with the driver went about 30 feet into the rough directly in front of the tee box.  I then took a whack at the ball and it went about a foot.  My next shot topped out about 50 yards and went into the rough again.  I hacked at it and it just ticked the ball and it went about a 3 inches into the air and sat right back down were it started.  I took another swing and it sailed into the woods.  I told the guy I'm picking up and dropping so I can get around the turn.  I dropped the ball to what I thought was enough room around the turn to take a stab at the green.  I hit my shot solid but the alignment was way off along with the swing and it corked a big tree right in the middle of the trunk.  The ball came rocketing back right at me and I tried sticking my hand out like a dummy to catch it.  I missed and it went right into the cart and ping ponged a couple of times off the windshield and frame.   The ball came to rest on the floor of the cart and I said I'll sit this hole out.   That shot was the most embarrassing one because it will be remembered unlike the too many to list tops, dribbles, shanks, and tickers that I've thrown out there.

I could easily have written this, you're my kind of golf partner.  :)

We have a very short par 3-120 yards and a little downhill.  Out of bounds to the left, but it doesn't really come in to play as it is about 25 yards from the green.  I think I'm the only person to have ever hit it OB on this hole.

Many years ago, I hit the wrong ball and topped it.  The ball belonged to a dude in the oncoming hole.  The ball was balata.  I was 20 years old and offered to buy him a new ball, but he said no problem and went on with his game.  The premium balata balls in 1970 were about $1.25 apiece.  This was a fair chunk of change for me back then.

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!