IGNORED

What is the best rule in golf?

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We've had a lot of discussion about rules we don't like and how we would change the rules of golf. But I'd like to know what you think the best rule is golf is.

I will start with a basic principle: Play the ball as it lies.

It is so simple and yet causes more consternation than anything else in golf. But it is easy to apply. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whoo-hoo I get to answer this again ;)

1-4. Points Not Covered By Rules

If any point in dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity.

I like this rule because it allows for interpretation of the rules for each unique situation. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Lift and clean during wet conditions ...  

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

It is so simple and yet causes more consternation than anything else in golf. But it is easy to apply. 

Close, but I'm going with:

Rule 28 - Ball Unplayable

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

Because it provides the answer to the vast majority of excuses people come up with when they don't want to play the ball as it lies!

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Knocking the ball off the tee at address is not a stroke. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

Because it provides the answer to the vast majority of excuses people come up with when they don't want to play the ball as it lies!

I'll have to agree with this one. Sometimes you just need an out.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

My vote for the best rule would be: 

Section 4: Holes Not Played/Not Played Under the Rules of Golf

Q.  How do I post a score if a hole is not played or not played under the principles of The Rules of Golf?"

A.  For handicap purposes, the player must record a score of par plus any handicap strokes normally received for the holes not played or holes not played in accordance with The Rules of Golf. These scores should have an “X” preceding the number. For example, player A is not able to play holes 16, 17, and 18 due to darkness. Player A has a Course Handicap™ of 12 and holes 16, 17, 18 are a par 5, 3, 4, and are allocated as the number 4, 16, 10 handicap holes, respectively. Therefore, player A will record an x-6, x-3, x-5 on holes 16, 17, and 18, respectively.

This allows weaker players to employ "casual" rulings (for example, not trudging back to the tee after a lost ball) without feeling like the entire round is somehow invalid, and it speeds up play.

- John

I'll have to agree with this one. Sometimes you just need an out.

As some have said, the Unplayable Ball rule. 

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

25-2. Embedded Ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. "Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

25-2. Embedded Ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. "Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

I like that rule too!  Sweet.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

The unplayable rule. Sometimes you need an out, or sometimes you simply want an easy way to improve your angle without risking putting yourself in a worse position.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Ditto

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

We've had a lot of discussion about rules we don't like and how we would change the rules of golf. But I'd like to know what you think the best rule is golf is.

And I'll add a second fundamental principle:  Play the course as you find it.  What you see is what you get.  Don't bend, break, groom (aside from what is allowed in Rules 23 and 24), uproot, or otherwise do anything more than minimally required to take your stance and play your stroke.  

Remember, the rules do not entitle the player to a perfect stance.  If a bush or tree is in the place where you want to take your stance, you must move into position in  the least intrusive manner.  You cannot choose a path just so that it bends a branch out of the way of your swing if there is a less intrusive way to address the ball.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

And I'll add a second fundamental principle:  Play the course as you find it.  What you see is what you get.  Don't bend, break, groom (aside from what is allowed in Rules 23 and 24), uproot, or otherwise do anything more than minimally required to take your stance and play your stroke.  

Remember, the rules do not entitle the player to a perfect stance.  If a bush or tree is in the place where you want to take your stance, you must move into position in  the least intrusive manner.  You cannot choose a path just so that it bends a branch out of the way of your swing if there is a less intrusive way to address the ball.

I was hoping someone would bring this one up! Thanks Rick. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree, "Play the ball as it lies". Such a simple concept yet sooooooo many seem to have a problem with it.

Here's another one that I've found controversial:

3-5. Players Competing from Different Tees or Men and Women from Same Tees

Basically this rule says that if you compete against someone who is playing from a different tee than you are, to have a fair competition there must be an adjustment to the handicaps based on the difference in difficulty (rating) between tees. Here's an example of 2 Men competing:

PlayerA and Player B both have 10 handicaps from their respective tees. PlayerA is a 10 from the white tees and PlayerB is a 10 from the gold tees. On the surface PlayerB thinks he's playing PlayerA straight up, but the white tees are rated 70.2, and the yellow tees are rated 66.6.  The difference between ratings is 3.6 and then rounded to 4 strokes, so either PlayerB gets 4 less strokes (the preferred method), or PlayerA gets 4 more strokes because PlayerB is playing a less difficult course.

I've found many that want to move up to the forward tees have a big problem with this one!

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!