IGNORED

Tipping Your Golf Instructor

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good morning gentlemen,

I have my first one hour golf lesson today and was hoping someone could tell me if they tip their golf instructors afterwards, and if so, what is a good tip rate today for that type of service?  Golf instruction rate is usually $60 an hour and I got a package deal on 3 lessons.

Thanks in advance.

Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't been, but maybe not a bad idea if they're really good? :hmm:

Mike @mvmac, would you appreciate tips? 

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If they are an independent contractor and don't give their fee to the range, ala Hank Haney's instructors, then a tip is not necessary.

If they are giving the fee to the range or school, which takes its cut, then I would offer a cash tip.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I always thought that monetary tips were based on services rendered by those workers who depended on tips in addition to a smaller wage, for part of their take home pay. If the "personal" service given warranted a tip, then I would tip. If the service was poor, then no I would not tip. My key is personal service. A golf instructor provides a personal service. Whether they earn a tip, or not, is based on the quality of the service provided.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My initial reaction was no they don't get a tip and I don't tip them.. Then I thought about the last time I had lessons and changed my mind.

For one thing, he usually started with me before my lesson time and ended after my lesson time.  He also took time to reply to emails ect, and thus when it was time for me to pay for my last lesson I think he was only going to charge me 50$, but I gave him 70$.  He actually tried to give me back the extra 20, but I insisted he take it.  This constitutes a tip and it only makes sense, if you are happy with a service to give a little more if you like!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

My concern would be any instructor that relied on tips probably wouldn't be worth seeing. My instructor (former) charges $120 an hour, the guy makes more than I do and has a cushy job at a country club. He certainly took the time to give me all the perks, follow up emails, offers to practice and was very accessible. For $120 I expected that.

Dave :-)

I don't think the OP said the instructor requested tips -- he wanted to know what is customary.

Some will go over time in the first lesson, some will not. If they go above and beyond, it's up to the golfer.

My instructor owns his place - I pay him upfront for a series of lessons. I do not tip him and have not seen another student attempt to tip. I do buy aids, books, or even game golf from him to supplement the lessons - since he offers them at retail, that's my tip to him.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Whatever I assume any successful instructor would likely turn it down. They aren't waiters. I could see sending a Harry & David basket or something at Xmas but slipping them a Jackson seems tacky to me.

Edited by Dave2512

Dave :-)

Whatever I assume any successful instructor would likely turn it down. They aren't waiters. I could see sending a Harry & David basket or something at Xmas but slipping them a Jackson seems tacky to me.

I never thought about tipping instructors until reading thread, but offering a tip does seem a little bit inappropriate given they are professionals.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As a general rule I don't tip contractors or business owners.  I reserve tipping for lower wage workers who provide good to exceptional service.

Most golf instructors I know are either self employed or make significantly higher than minimum wage.  My way to show gratitude is to highly recommend them to others if they are good at what they do.

Joe Paradiso

This is why I had asked.  I did not want to offend or insult if a tip is out of place. I'm from Vegas where tipping is a way of life and includes more than minimum wage workers. Had also thought about a gift or gift card around holidays. Will go that route if stick with him. Was a good first lesson, have my homework and will apply it on course tomorrow. Thanks for advice everyone. 

I took lessons during the winter and bought my instructor a gift certificate.  He didn't expect it but appreciated it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

This is why I had asked.  I did not want to offend or insult if a tip is out of place. I'm from Vegas where tipping is a way of life and includes more than minimum wage workers. Had also thought about a gift or gift card around holidays. Will go that route if stick with him. Was a good first lesson, have my homework and will apply it on course tomorrow. Thanks for advice everyone.

I doubt they would be offended or insulted, I just don't believe it's necessary.  An end of year gift card is a great way to show appreciation. 

Joe Paradiso

I never got a tip when I gave a private piano lesson. Usually a complaint about the hourly charge.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

(edited)

Good morning gentlemen,

I have my first one hour golf lesson today and was hoping someone could tell me if they tip their golf instructors afterwards, and if so, what is a good tip rate today for that type of service?  Golf instruction rate is usually $60 an hour and I got a package deal on 3 lessons.

Thanks in advance.

Gator Hazard

You're paying for their time for that hour, so it's not expected. It would be something I'd offer if the guy spent extra time with me after the lesson (more than 15 minutes) or answering texts or emails.

It's funny, Vegas is the only place I've heard about where golf instructors have gotten tips. Two guys that I know that teach at TPC Summerlin. Like you said, I think it's more of a way of life and those instructors were surprised when it happened.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!