IGNORED

How (in)consistent are you?

dsal89
Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious as to how consistent or inconsistent you are? I ask because I've found myself to be a so inconsistent this season that it is a bit bothersome. 

I I worked a lot so I play about 6 times a month rain or shine. Admittedly I don't hit the range prior to playing but that is something I should really start doing. 

First round this this year was a 92 and that is also my worst round. Best round is a 77. Any given day I can shoot mid 70s to low 90s and it is entirely frustrating. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with being the epitome of mediocre with the driver. Some days i hit maybe 5 fairways with it and when I do that I consider it a good day. Often times I pull it bad but the other areas of my game At least carry me through my round but now and again I have a round when nothing can be hit in a direction I want. 

So, how consistent or inconsistent are you and what do you think is one part of your game that can get you to that good score?

Edited by iacas
removed unnecessary returns

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I might not be the best example to analyze, because I didn't play much for a long time and then started playing a ton over the last few months to try to regain my old form, so there's a lot of rust in this chart.

But this is a chart of my diffs since July. There's a lot of variance, but the general trend is good.

diffs.png

• Upvote 1

I'm so consistent its scary. just picked up the book, Golf is not a game of perfect. I'm going mental to improve my scores.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

First round this this year was a 92 and that is also my worst round. Best round is a 77. Any given day I can shoot mid 70s to low 90s and it is entirely frustrating.

You and I have a similar HI and I went from 86 to 102 playing the same course this month.  That's a 16 stroke difference from best to worst.  Yours was 92 - 77 = 15.   Base on your and my data with similar HI, it seems like a normal (in)consistency for bogey golfers.  

Edited by rkim291968
  • Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Over the course of the year, my best rounds are probably about 15 strokes better than my worst. Big differences can literally happen week-to-week. For example, I had an 83 on this particular course just two weeks ago. Saturday, I hacked up a 93 on the same course.

I've fluctuated between 70 and 78 depending on which friends I'm playing with lol.  We've played a lot of two man scrambles this year so a lot of my rounds are hard to score.  When I'm by myself I'm usually 48-52 for 9 holes. I view consistency as having a strong repeatable swing but I certainly haven't found that yet.  I am working hard at it and for the first time I feel like I have a plan.  Also course management is starting to click in this thick scull of mine before a few weeks ago I'd never even heard of GIR.

Edited by LagShaft

Seems the harder I swing the less consistent contact I make

Seems trying to shoot at sucker pins gives me inconsistent scores

Seems using low per centage clubs gives me inconsistent scores

I didn't lose control, I still don't have control

I don't think I could be more inconsistent if I was trying to be inconsistent.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'll go stretches where I'm am consistently shooting in the mid 70's to low 80's. 

Then out of no where I'll go stretches of shooting low 80's to 90's. 

It's a definitely a love-hate relationship. 

Edited by iacas
removed extra returns

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My inconsistency cost me about 10 shots a round, which, (I have been told) is about 13% of my game.  But, since my hdcp takes care of my inconsistencies, it's a wash I suppose. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Seems trying to shoot at sucker pins gives me inconsistent scores

Yeah.  At your HI (and mine), you should be hitting to the middle of green for most approach shots.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yeah.  At your HI (and mine), you should be hitting to the middle of green for most approach shots.

The thing is that shooting for the middle of the green can still result in an errant shot. That's what kills me. I can still push or pull the shot a little

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I think we are all approaching this wrong. Inconsistent scoring is our norm because of the consistent flaws in our swings. Our swings are the same from shot to shot, but the flaw (i.e. not steady head, weight not moving forward at impact, outside in swing) causes erratic results because it has a really small margin of error. Sometimes we're lucky and make good contact and get good flight, but it is really just luck with our swings.

Bad shots are the norm because of the flaw. Good shots are the exception. To get better and have less of a range of scores, we need to eliminate the flaws or reduce their impact. This applies to the long game and the short game.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think we are all approaching this wrong. Inconsistent scoring is our norm because of the consistent flaws in our swings. Our swings are the same from shot to shot, but the flaw (i.e. not steady head, weight not moving forward at impact, outside in swing) causes erratic results because it has a really small margin of error. Sometimes we're lucky and make good contact and get good flight, but it is really just luck with our swings.

Bad shots are the norm because of the flaw. Good shots are the exception. To get better and have less of a range of scores, we need to eliminate the flaws or reduce their impact. This applies to the long game and the short game.

Damn, You mean practice and lessons? Crap.

I'm curious as to how consistent or inconsistent you are? I ask because I've found myself to be a so inconsistent this season that it is a bit bothersome. 

Very inconsistent. :~(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm in the same boat as the OP.  I have periods of time where I can be playing well (for me)... and then I have periods of time where I feel like a gorilla trying to swing a club in a tiny cage.  The worst part is that this isn't just a round-by-round thing... it happens during rounds.  

My best score of the year was an 84 (in the middle of the season)... while my worst score was a 105 (at the very beginning of the season).  I can deal with fluctuations like that... but it's very upsetting when my best scores come on the final day of multi-day tournaments after shooting myself out of it earlier in the tournament.  

Two-Day Tournament in April... Day 1 - 101... Day 2 - 86... Final Position - T3 (2 strokes behind the winner).

Two-Day Tournament in June... Day 1 - 98... Day 2 - 84... Final Position - 12 (14 strokes behind the winner).

Then... the best round of the National Championship three-day tournament last weekend, my best round was a final round 89 after I had posted 96 and 94 the first few days and gave myself no shot at getting into the Top 20.  

But... as I said, it happens during rounds.  On the final day, I was playing really well through my first 9 holes (+5)... and then it all went away and I played my final 9 holes in +12.  It all felt the same, but... I just couldn't get the ball to stay on line during those final few holes.

I'm not nearly good enough to 'diagnose' my issues during a round, and my swing is so flawed that it could just be the most minor of things that's causing it to go out of whack.  On the range before rounds, I look for that one swing thought that's helping me make decent contact and allowing the ball to fly properly... and I stick with that throughout my round... until it goes away, and then it's always a 'hit & hope' situation.  

:-\

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

The thing is that shooting for the middle of the green can still result in an errant shot. That's what kills me. I can still push or pull the shot a little

right, but an errant shot aimed at the middle of the green can still end up on the green.  might even be closer to the hole than it would have been if it had gone to the middle like you intended.

i am terribly inconsistent, especially with the driver.  i have a two way miss, which is a wonderful way to play golf.

Edited by iacas
removed unnecessary returns

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!