IGNORED

Boo Weekley: "This wraparound season sucks".

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were a player, do you think you'd agree with Boo?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a player, do you think you'd agree with Boo?

• Yes
    • No

Boo just wants a little time to go fishing. If you were a player do you think you'd agree with his take on the never-ending season?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/11/5/boo-weekley-honestly-this-wraparound-season-sucks-it-does-se.html

Why provide commentary when I can just let Boo Weekley do all the heavy lifting? He's teeing it up as defending runner-up in the Sanderson Farms Championship and needs to make a nice check to offset the inevitable fines for conduct becoming of an honest PGA Tourmember.

headshots_26289.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVWeekley...

Q. How have you come to view the wraparound season and the importance of trying to get out to a big jump in the fall?

BOO WEEKLEY: Honestly, this wraparound season sucks. It does, seriously.

Q. It's long?

BOO WEEKLEY: It's just, it's stupid. I still ain't figured out this FedEx -- what does this FedExCup stuff do? It ain't doing nothing, but it is what it is. It's supposed to be the players tour. It's Tim Finchem and them's tour is what it is.

It's aggravating having to play this much, but yet it's important to come out and try to get a good start. I mean, it's good for the rookies, I think. It gives them something they can up can out and get their feet wet before they actually get into the bigger tournament. I think that's a good thing.

Q. Does it just feel like a warn out extension?

BOO WEEKLEY: It's just golf after golf after golf. Ain't no time for hunting and fishing, man. You know, you've got to come in here and bring my rods over here to go fishing, but you can't go fishing because you get out there and next thing you know somebody's aggravating you, and you can't actually enjoy going fishing.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep.

I don't want to work all the time either. 

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

It's not just that it's long, the incongruity with the other tours is off-putting to me.  At the HSBC, the Euro players are still trying to gain position in their Race to Dubai playoffs for 2015 while the US players are starting out their 2016 season.  I don't like it at all.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

27 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Someone needs to remind him he doesnt have to play.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, has he not made enough money? You would think he has enough to afford to take a few weeks or a month or two off and hunt and fish.

45 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Someone needs to remind him he doesnt have to play.

I don't totally disagree with your sentiment.  Heck, even Boo mentions that the new schedule is good for the younger players.  He's just grumpy because he's accustomed to a certain schedule and now's its been changed on him, and if he expects to continue to play well enough to keep his card and compete, he has little choice but to play all year round.

Imagine if your job just up and went from 4 days per week to 6 days per week without you having any say in the matter ... you'd probably say that sucks too. :)

It's hard to have TOO much sympathy for a millionaire professional athlete, but I can understand where he's coming from at least.

Boo never wins anything outside of April and May anyway, so he thinks the season should be two months' long.

Jokes aside, I do agree with him big-picture.  The fall tournaments are so under the radar that you wonder why the Tour bothers.  Hell, we're all big golf fans here on this forum....how much of the "2016 season" have you watched so far?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

Boo never wins anything outside of April and May anyway, so he thinks the season should be two months' long.

Jokes aside, I do agree with him big-picture.  The fall tournaments are so under the radar that you wonder why the Tour bothers.  Hell, we're all big golf fans here on this forum....how much of the "2016 season" have you watched so far?

I have watched about an hour or 2 of everyone so far.

1 minute ago, Broke100Once said:

Pretty much. Might have watched all of 5 minutes flipping through channels. I don't see the point unless it's leading up to something, and I don't want to see a bunch of top players already nursing injuries before the Masters comes around.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

What would I think?  It depends on where I was ranked.  

If I'm top 20 then I wouldn't like the wrap-around season. I'd want to take time off, heal up any nagging injuries, and make swing tweaks all without having to be concerned about not accumulating the available Fed-Ex points.

If I'm bottom 50 then I definately like the chance to earn the extra $$$ against the lighter fall fields (I'm guessing they're lighter) and the opportunity to help me keep my card.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Broke100Once said:

The Tour "bothers" because:

• They are a member-run organization. They need to look out for the best interests of their members. Those are the players, and many of the players want to play fairly often so they can make more money. That's why there are alternate field events, too.
  • They give a lot of money to charity. Should they not go to these places in this longer season and thus not raise and donate the money they raise and donate to the local charities?

It's probably more the first thing than the second, but still…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Glad he spoke his mind. It would be just like those tie chokers to fine him for speaking up, saying what most of the guys talk about. As with everything today, it is about money, how many tours, sponsors can we please.

I actually like more tours. Great for the young guys to get the playing time. WGC throws a wrench into everything and the PGA creating so many qualifying criteria.. Everyone has their hand in the kitty and wants more, more, more...

Been watching stocks CLOSELY for years now. I am a short seller too... Just watch the news on Valeant... Really a corrupt biopharma company. They had brought in an accountant to cook the books (worked the medco disaster) and an audit chair lady from Author Anderson (during Enron). Long story short - There is actually an SEC paper showing the hiring of this guy, his super bonuses for performance, etc. All he had to do was make the company look like it was making more money. He did it by creating Phillador Inc. Incorporated on the day he was hired by Valeant. It is so corrupt, but half legal, and the SEC, FBI, etc. do nothing about it. There not even investigating it. Today's world is set up for the white collar criminal who is willing to walk the line of the law. Get caught, pay big time atty. to get you off.  You can't make up a story like this... This week Cramer, CNBC, and Ackman have come out in support of the company, as if this accounting BS never happened and they will clean it up. Doesn't even include their pricing scandal, or channel stuffing.. All covered up by TV, money, and the players that want more money. 401Ks be damned...

Sorry for the tangent...

Same thing here with money. Everyone is battling to make every last dime the tour has to offer. It is now a fierce competition (unspoken) to control everything in your circle with money.  

On 11/5/2015, 3:02:26, Broke100Once said:

I don't actually watch that much golf the rest of the year either.  Outside of the Masters and US Open sundays, the particular tournament doesn't really have much to do with whether I watch.  It's more timing and luck of the draw for me.  So I end up watching a lot more of the tournaments this time of year because that's when we get the Asian tournaments and the Australian tournaments coming on air live at 7 or 8 pm Pacific time.  Kids are in bed and I have nothing else to do - yay!  I get to watch some golf!!

On 11/5/2015, 3:34:15, No Mulligans said:

What would I think?  It depends on where I was ranked.  

If I'm top 20 then I wouldn't like the wrap-around season. I'd want to take time off, heal up any nagging injuries, and make swing tweaks all without having to be concerned about not accumulating the available Fed-Ex points.

If I'm bottom 50 then I definately like the chance to earn the extra $$$ against the lighter fall fields (I'm guessing they're lighter) and the opportunity to help me keep my card.

I feel like you have that backwards.  If you're in the top 20 then you can still afford to take some time off to heal nagging injuries and make swing tweaks.  But if you're in the bottom 50 then you pretty much HAVE TO play as much as possible, because everybody in the same position is as well, and you need every cut and every dollar you can get to keep pace with them.

• Upvote 1

If I was a top player I'd agree with Boo because I'd have to choose between grabbing some easy Fed Ex points or taking time off.  If I was in the bottom of the PGA Tour I'd love it because it's a chance to win some money and Fed Ex points while the top guys are vacationing. 

Guys like Jimmy Walker take full advantage of it to jump start their season before the top guns start playing again.

Joe Paradiso

If I were a pro golfer I can't imagine there would be a single thing in life to complain about, and certainly not the wrapped season.

Boo needs a reality check.

Note: This thread is 3082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!