or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Boss told me to come in later and leave later.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boss told me to come in later and leave later.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Mainly the leaving later part, and does not mind me coming in a 9:30am or even much later.

 

I have been coming to work at 7:00am and leaving around 4:30pm, but he said that was too early as we have many people who come in at 11:00am to 1:00pm and work "late". Most of the people like to work later hours (some of them even leave right after my boss leaves at 6:00pm. I have a feeling these are the ones complaining about my hours even though they work only 6 hours a day, pretty ironic. I enjoy my work, and will have less time to do it, because of all these late people.

 

Unfortunately, I will have less time for blogging with you guys because I need to do more work in less time per day. I have family commitments that put a hard stop on my day at 6:30pm-ish.

 

On the plus side, I look at it as an opportunity to play golf early in the mornings, as long as the tee times are reasonably priced. I could get in 18 holes from 6:00am till 9:00am and get in at 9:30am invigorated and ready to work!
 

How would you guys feel about this situation?

post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

Mainly the leaving later part, and does not mind me coming in a 9:30am or even much later.

 

I have been coming to work at 7:00am and leaving around 4:30pm, but he said that was too early as we have many people who come in at 11:00am to 1:00pm and work "late". Most of the people like to work later hours (some of them even leave right after my boss leaves at 6:00pm. I have a feeling these are the ones complaining about my hours even though they work only 6 hours a day, pretty ironic. I enjoy my work, and will have less time to do it, because of all these late people.

 

Unfortunately, I will have less time for blogging with you guys because I need to do more work in less time per day. I have family commitments that put a hard stop on my day at 6:30pm-ish.

 

On the plus side, I look at it as an opportunity to play golf early in the mornings, as long as the tee times are reasonably priced. I could get in 18 holes from 6:00am till 9:00am and get in at 9:30am invigorated and ready to work!
 

How would you guys feel about this situation?

Why are you asking this question?  :-P

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

Why are you asking this question?  :-P


For one, I won't have as much time in the day to blog anymore. :-(

post #4 of 19
I'll miss ya @Lihu.

I hope you still plan on posting some?
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

I'll miss ya @Lihu.

I hope you still plan on posting some?

 

Thanks, but I'm still going to be blogging the evenings. Plus, my phone is still being repaired by Samsung for the next 2 weeks, so it will limit blogging from on the course.

 

I hope this new little robot sells well.

post #6 of 19
Mixed, tbh.

Happy for you that you get to play more golf (cmon you already live in SoCal, now you're telling me you can play every day of the week!?). Sucks that work is going to be a worse environment, though. Definitely disappointed that you won't be able to contribute as much.

Although all those early morning weekday rounds means you no longer have an excuse not to vlog a2_wink.gif
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

Mixed, tbh.

Happy for you that you get to play more golf (cmon you already live in SoCal, now you're telling me you can play every day of the week!?). Sucks that work is going to be a worse environment, though. Definitely disappointed that you won't be able to contribute as much.

Although all those early morning weekday rounds means you no longer have an excuse not to vlog a2_wink.gif


Yup, I guess no excuses for Vlogs.

 

Mixed feelings about the team members, I just hope they carry some of the load.

post #8 of 19

Seems ticky tack, to me. If you are getting your work done and putting in a full day, who cares what your hours are?

post #9 of 19

That stinks man.

post #10 of 19

Welcome to lazy merica...

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I have been coming to work at 7:00am and leaving around 4:30pm, but he said that was too early as we have many people who come in at 11:00am to 1:00pm and work "late". Most of the people like to work later hours (some of them even leave right after my boss leaves at 6:00pm. I have a feeling these are the ones complaining about my hours even though they work only 6 hours a day, pretty ironic. I enjoy my work, and will have less time to do it, because of all these late people.

I once had a job where I'd get in about 8:30 or 9 AM and would leave about 6 or 630. Eventually my boss told me I should shift the hours later to get in about 10 or 10:30 and leave correspondingly later. So I did -- arriving at 10, still one of the first in my team to arrive, and not leaving until about 8. In addition to being hours I liked less, I was also at the office more total hours. A month or so later, I got my first performance evaluation telling me that I arrived at the office too late.

But I also hated that job and, unlike the situation you're in, I was eager to jump ship when the opportunity presented itself. A recruiter for the company that boss works for now recently sent me a request on LinkedIn asking if I want to interview with them, for a role that would certainly be working for said boss. It took some restraint to avoid saying something other than that I wasn't interested at this time.
post #12 of 19

1. Obviously your boss and coworkers don't have families or care about them.  If they had children in school, then they would want to be home when the kids got home.  You should work the hours that best "get the job done".  Image is nothing.  Productivity is everything.  If your boss was smart, they would see this and tell the others to get back to work and work whatever hours make them most productive, not what looks good to the uninformed.

 

2. I get to work at around 6AM.  But I also have a global job and often have to contact people in Europe and Asia.  I can reach them early better than late.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
 

Seems ticky tack, to me. If you are getting your work done and putting in a full day, who cares what your hours are?

 

^^^ THIS

 

Keeping tabs on professionals who don't usually get paid by hour is stupid.. measuring people on objectives makes more sense..  Unless you get paid overtime my opinion would change slightly.

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

1. Obviously your boss and coworkers don't have families or care about them.  If they had children in school, then they would want to be home when the kids got home.  You should work the hours that best "get the job done".  Image is nothing.  Productivity is everything.  If your boss was smart, they would see this and tell the others to get back to work and work whatever hours make them most productive, not what looks good to the uninformed.

2. I get to work at around 6AM.  But I also have a global job and often have to contact people in Europe and Asia.  I can reach them early better than late.
This is very true, and I also deal with people in Asia for manufacturing.

The company I work for was acquired by a larger one back east, and in the past we got used to coming in late. Many of the people came in anywhere from 10:00am to noon. They usually worked till 8:00pm. They did this for traffic reasons. A few of them have been abusing the system and leaving earlier than 8 hours. It seems like they come in late even though they live very close, and leave "late" so they can work less hours.

Unfortunately for them, the new company has a policy requiring us to come in before 9:30am. The program manager in Boston wants us to come in earlier as well. So, only three people complied. Two other people and myself. The rest kept their own schedules. It has been a point of contention between the folks in Boston and our group, and my boss has been defending the late arrival schedule even though our schedules are slipping. So, he is requiring me to work the later time to be "a good team member".

So, I have a choice to work more hours than I already am (9-10 hours), to 11-12 hours so, I can work with the people on the team or to spend less time working closer to their hours from 9:30am to 6:30 maybe 7:00 on some days. Btw, I also work at home on some days, in addition to my normal hours.

I still feel it is odd to come into work so late, I feel like I get a whole days work done before noon. Actually, I do. a2_wink.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

^^^ THIS

Keeping tabs on professionals who don't usually get paid by hour is stupid.. measuring people on objectives makes more sense..  Unless you get paid overtime my opinion would change slightly.

Yes, I agree. The issue is supposedly team spirit related. Of course it goes against company policy to come in later than 9:30am anyway.
post #15 of 19

This would be a killer for me.  I am morning person.  I wake up at 5:30 everyday and get to work around 6:45 (2 minute commute).  I would feel like I was wasting time everyday to come in at 9:30.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

This would be a killer for me.  I am morning person.  I wake up at 5:30 everyday and get to work around 6:45 (2 minute commute).  I would feel like I was wasting time everyday to come in at 9:30.


And I thought my 10 min commute was short.

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

 

 

How would you guys feel about this situation?

 

post #18 of 19

Depends on the reason your boss decided to ask you to change your hours.  If you work as part of a team, the team should have hours that maximize their time together, all members should have to compromise to come up with a schedule that works for everyone.

 

If you are involved in any aspect of sales or customer service, you should be available during the prime hours 9am - 6pm. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Boss told me to come in later and leave later.