IGNORED

Worst Weather You've Played Golf In?

cartertheraptor
Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Colorado. 19*. Oh but there was sunshine! Lol. Yeah no.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Colorado. 19*. Oh but there was sunshine! Lol. Yeah no.

Yesterday when I was taking a chip shot in my backswing my hat flew off my head and I ended up shanking the shot and almost losing my hat. 

• Like 1

Driver: :titleist: 915 D2

Fairway: :titleist: 913F

Hybrid: :titleist: 913H

Irons: :titleist: 714 AP1

Wedges: :vokey: SM6 60, :vokey:SM7 56 ,52

Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2016 Select Newport 2

I have been blessed to travel overseas to play golf many times. When you are 3000 miles from home on the basis to play golf....You play golf. The worst weather I have played in....You may read this and think...He's full of S...But this was true. We arrived at Dooks. A hurricane had crossed the Atlantic and the remnants were on us. As we prepared to go to the 1st tee. I took my headcovers and half my irons out of bag and left them in the van. There was a hedgerow next to first tee. The way the wind was blowing we hid behind it. We then made our way out as it was our turn. The rain was pelting. The wind was unmeasurable...40/50 continuous...But what was mind numbing was a group of 4 teed off right in front of us. One of our 4, sat in the van. On the 3rd hole as we were waiting on these yellow rainjacketed dwebs in front of us...I said S it and hit into them. I pranced up and told the guy...we are playing thru. Waived the 2 others up and we went thru. These guys were everywhere...We got thru and 2 holes later we come to a par 3...Where is the hole. I align the tee markers...The card says 170...I say it should be right there and hit my shot. We arrive at the green and the flag is laying on the green. We played 15 holes in that rain wind. The rain stopped but the wind didn't. By the time we walked off 18 we were dry from 3 holes in 40/50 wind...

• Like 1

Over the years, sleet, snow, sub-freezing temps, temps over 100°, winds over 40mph, near torrential rain...

I never claimed to be terribly bright.  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

Over the years, sleet, snow, sub-freezing temps, temps over 100°, winds over 40mph, near torrential rain...

Same here. I think I've pretty much covered it all. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Ive played in it all as well. But one instance that sticks out to me was a blustery day with around 25 mph sustained winds and 50mph gusts. The actually temp was in the 60s but it felt like it was below freezing. On one hole i flew a pitching wedge over the green on a 215 yard par 3. The ball never rose anymore than 30 feet or so feet off the ground. I remember on another hole hitting a driver and the ball hit a wall of wind and practically came back at me 100 yards out. 

At a nice country course near Abilene, Texas...Over a period of about 3 hours, we had rain and wind, then hail, then absolutely beautiful sunny blue skies. Strange. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I remember in a high school golf match we experienced all four seasons in a round. It started at 60 and sunny, then it started raining, which switched hail, which switched to snow on the final couple holes.

It's a tie between snow flurries and about 32 degrees and about 34 degrees and 20 mph winds.

The most memorable, although not the worst, was when my wife and I played in 50 degrees with probably 40 mph winds. It didn't feel that cold, but the wind was crazy. It actually knocked my wife over when she was bending over to tee up a ball (she was 8 months pregnant at the time, and a bit top heavy).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Wind, wind and more wind. It was one of my first games ever.

At the tee I was waiting for the wind to come to an end, but the caddy and the other players told me "You need to hit it, now. It is part of the game!".

Nave

Another time was playing Prestwick in Scotland. Was on a green and it sloped severely. Asked caddie what do you see. He says hit it straight laddie. I said there is severe slope it should break 2 feet L to R. He says hit it straight...The wind will hold it up the hill. I could not do that so I hit it with a foot break....It went dead straight....The wind was 30/40 all day. 

• iacas changed the title to Worst Weather You've Played Golf In?

August 2018. Northern Ireland. Ballyliffin, the old course on Thursday and Glashedy on Friday. 25-30 with 45-50 gust. Rain sideways. 50 degrees. Both days.

i couldn’t keep a bucket hat on my head. Had to wear a stocking cap that got soaked.

My caddy said “it’s just a wee breeze lad”. 

I'm cool with cold temps, played in the teens and it was actually fun to see the ball bounce on out to ridiculous distances (a cool part about frozen courses is there are no more water hazards 😉 ). Playing in dry 100 degree temps with a little wind sucks, but I don't consider it crazy.  I'm ok with wind or rain, BUT I hate to play when it's both rain and wind, because then the rain is coming in sideways and no umbrella is going to hold up.  The most recent case was a scramble tourney at my course.  Just a downpour with 15-20mph sustained winds and mid 40's temps.  When you can't possibly keep your gear or yourself dry, the game becomes too much work and too little fun, especially when it's cold.  I've played in the extremes of rain, snow, hail, and wind, and individually like I said before is fine, but combine the wind with anything and it sucks.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I played in all kinds of winter conditions. However, the worst has to be in Asia when clients there wanted to play golf in dead of winter. It was about 10 *C below and 10 mph wind. They gave us hand warmers but it was a losing battle. 

My hands were freezing the whole round. In fact, my whole body was freezing whole round. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

We can get that in Boston during the same round! :-P

Coldest was high 30s with a lot of wind and some sleet. Needless to say, I was one of the few dummies on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

We can get that in Boston during the same round! :-P

Coldest was high 30s with a lot of wind and some sleet. Needless to say, I was one of the few dummies on the course.

Boston can be brutal in the winter.

Driver: :titleist: 915 D2

Fairway: :titleist: 913F

Hybrid: :titleist: 913H

Irons: :titleist: 714 AP1

Wedges: :vokey: SM6 60, :vokey:SM7 56 ,52

Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2016 Select Newport 2

I played at Innsbruck in NE Georgia this one time and may have been the only dummy on the course.  It was soaked with considerable wind.  The course is gorgeous, but I could not really appreciate it much on that ugly day.

In fact, I don't know how anyone can enjoy a round in wet conditions.  Did any of you guys actually enjoy the awful conditions you are posting about?

Perhaps it's days like that one when the pros have to earn their stripes.  Does the bit about a bad day golfing being better than a good day at work apply when it is your job?

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!