IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit Your Wedges?

tbart1
Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

PW regular swing carries 140

PW wedge swing carries 125ish

52 degree carries 115

56 degree goes 100. 

With the wedges I find you can get pretty wild distance variations if you swing like a 7 iron. Combination of delofting the club + strike inconsistencies can cause problems. 

I too rarely hit a full wedge shot but if I have to I know my numbers:

46* 140

50* 128

54* 118

58* 105

if I’m 105 out I’m hitting a half pitching wedge with mostly arms. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/9/2019 at 12:13 AM, tbart1 said:

Currently in my bag I have a 60 degree, 56 degree, 52 degree, 50 degree (Ping G utility wedge), and a 45 degree (Ping G Pitching wedge). 

Thats a lot of wedges, do you realize that over 35% of your bag consists of wedges? Personally I would lose one of them. With your distances I cannot think but that you would be better off adding a long club somewhere in the bag.

But back on topic, hitting a 56° wedge that distance isn't that bad. I top out my 56° around 115 yards because any farther than that I have to swing hard at it. I hit a 3/4 52° wedge much better than a full out 56°. Spend some time at the range and dial in your wedges, realize than 3/4 wedges work better than full swing.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have 4 wedges:  PW (46), GW (50), SW (54), LW (58)

I hit the PW max for 120-130 yard shots full swing:

all four - less than that..

(in the spirit of the OP request though) full swing default numbers  - 120, 110, 95, 75 - rarely a full swing with the SW or LW - love that LW)

Bill - 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, David in FL said:

Wedges are scoring clubs.  They’re not necessarily intended to go far.  Barring an extremely unusual circumstance, I very seldom hit any wedge full.  

100 yards with a 56* SW isn’t “short” by too many standards...  

...While I can hit them all a bit further, comfortable max yardages are 46* PW 118 yds, 50* GW 105 yds, 56* SW 80 yds, and 60* LW 60 yds.  For a stock 100 yd shot though, I’m much more likely to hit a smooth little 3/4 PW, even though I could easily get there with GW.

This makes me feel SO much better. Looking at the yardages others have posted I felt a little short. I don't hit my irons very long but I feel like I'm well gapped from SW - 6Iron (my 5Iron through 3W gaps aren't great and I need to work on that). But I'm not long.

PW (46deg) = 115
GW (50) = 100
SW (56) = 75

I have also learned to hit each of them at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and have those distances fairly well dialed in (at least for an 18 'cap player). 

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

On 4/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, NM Golf said:

Thats a lot of wedges, do you realize that over 35% of your bag consists of wedges? Personally I would lose one of them. With your distances I cannot think but that you would be better off adding a long club somewhere in the bag.

But back on topic, hitting a 56° wedge that distance isn't that bad. I top out my 56° around 115 yards because any farther than that I have to swing hard at it. I hit a 3/4 52° wedge much better than a full out 56°. Spend some time at the range and dial in your wedges, realize than 3/4 wedges work better than full swing.

Yes, I do realize that five wedges is a lot. The PW(45) and UW (50) came with my iron set. I'm not sure what type of long club I should get though, my longest two clubs not including my driver are my 3 wood and 4 iron. In the last two weeks I was 253 and 273 from the center of the green on two different par 5s and reached a yard or two short of the fringe on both. Quite inconsistent. My 4 iron usually goes 200 or so but I guess if I strike it well and hit a slight draw, it has gone like 220 before. So do you think hybrid or like a 2 or 3 iron?

How far I hit my wedges really depends on the situation. Pin in front with lots of room to run it up - too long. Back pin with penalty area guarding the green - too short. Lying seven and out of the hole due to ESC - just right.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

P790 - 45 degree - 140

Vokey - 52 degree - 125

Vokey - 58 degree - 100

TM HiToe - 64 degree - 80

I have 1/2 and 3/4 swing distances for each as well.

WITB:  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png M5 10.5 degree with GraphiteDesign Tour AD IZ shaft,  M2 3-Wood, 3-hybrid and 5-hybrid,  P790 6I-PW, 52 and 58 degree Vokey wedges  and 64 degree 088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png Hi-Toe wedge and Tour Spider putter.  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png TP5X or Callaway Chrome Soft X balls.  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align grips.

52 degrees: 100 yards

56 degrees: 85 yards

60 degrees: 70 yards 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

12 hours ago, billchao said:

How far I hit my wedges really depends on the situation. Pin in front with lots of room to run it up - too long. Back pin with penalty area guarding the green - too short. Lying seven and out of the hole due to ESC - just right.

🤣

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 4/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, Chasing_Bogeys said:

This makes me feel SO much better. Looking at the yardages others have posted I felt a little short. I don't hit my irons very long but I feel like I'm well gapped from SW - 6Iron (my 5Iron through 3W gaps aren't great and I need to work on that). But I'm not long.

PW (46deg) = 115
GW (50) = 100
SW (56) = 75

I have also learned to hit each of them at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and have those distances fairly well dialed in (at least for an 18 'cap player). 

My super power...making average golfers feel like big hitters by comparison!  :8)

:beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

13 hours ago, DocP said:

P790 - 45 degree - 140

Vokey - 52 degree - 125

Vokey - 58 degree - 100

TM HiToe - 64 degree - 80

I have 1/2 and 3/4 swing distances for each as well.

A 64 degree club?  Wowzers.  I threaten my 60 degree lob wedge if it carpets under the ball for a full swing 25-yarder or blades for 100.  I think a 64 would only last a couple of rounds before I wrap it around a tree for its insolent inconsistency.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tbart1 said:

Yes, I do realize that five wedges is a lot. The PW(45) and UW (50) came with my iron set. I'm not sure what type of long club I should get though, my longest two clubs not including my driver are my 3 wood and 4 iron. In the last two weeks I was 253 and 273 from the center of the green on two different par 5s and reached a yard or two short of the fringe on both. Quite inconsistent. My 4 iron usually goes 200 or so but I guess if I strike it well and hit a slight draw, it has gone like 220 before. So do you think hybrid or like a 2 or 3 iron?

Either a 5 wood or 3 hybrid would make a nice addition I think. I would ditch that 52° wedge since you have a 50° and a 56°. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

PW- 140-160 depending on situation

GW- 115-140

56*- 1-120

Just ordered and extra low bounce 58* to play with around the greens. All the distances are dependent on situation of course. I can deloft the heck out of my PW and really get it out there but not much point in it. I may also pull a pitching wedge on a 100 yard shot if I want a lower trajectory using a half swing.

How do you guys measure exact yardages? Was thinking of taking the shag bag to the course when it's not busy and using the GPS put some cones down. I don't trust the range with their "premium soft balls" and there aren't a lot of fields around to try this. I also got told off for trying to hit wedges at the local indoor with trackman. Apparently their golf netting isn't setup right to have a high lofted club, the ball dinged into the roof (went through a join) and nearly took out a light.

Edited by binga7

16 hours ago, binga7 said:

How do you guys measure exact yardages? Was thinking of taking the shag bag to the course when it's not busy and using the GPS put some cones down. I don't trust the range with their "premium soft balls" and there aren't a lot of fields around to try this. I also got told off for trying to hit wedges at the local indoor with trackman. Apparently their golf netting isn't setup right to have a high lofted club, the ball dinged into the roof (went through a join) and nearly took out a light.

They got pissed about that?  Buncha losers!

Seriously though, if you hit the club enough you start to get a feel for how far it goes.  Don't you measure your yardage on every single approach shot?  Whether you use a high tech V8 Bass-o-matic 76 laser rangefinder with port and starboard attachments or just estimate based upon the 150 yard bush, you are still planning on hitting your club x number of yards, right?

3 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

They got pissed about that?  Buncha losers!

Seriously though, if you hit the club enough you start to get a feel for how far it goes.  Don't you measure your yardage on every single approach shot?  Whether you use a high tech V8 Bass-o-matic 76 laser rangefinder with port and starboard attachments or just estimate based upon the 150 yard bush, you are still planning on hitting your club x number of yards, right?

Yeh I look at the 150 or 100 markers and estimate distance, but at present it's educated guessing, I need some hard figures.

Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!