IGNORED

Conditions and Scoring

dgrn3387
Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There may be a thread but I did not find it from doing a quick search so delete if needed. 

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on two things: 

1) How does wind (10-15, 15-25, etc) affect golf SCORING average? There are lots of posts about how wind affects distance and the golf ball but I am curious to thoughts regarding what wind can do to one's score, on average. 

2) Wet conditions - I was thinking about it and started to wonder: does a softer ground take distance off even if you hit it good? I guess the first question is: When you compress a golf ball do you compress it against the ground and if so is the compression against the ground less efficient if the ground is soft/wet? 

Hopefully the second one makes sense... just some things I had been pondering. 

34 minutes ago, dgrn3387 said:

2) Wet conditions - I was thinking about it and started to wonder: does a softer ground take distance off even if you hit it good? I guess the first question is: When you compress a golf ball do you compress it against the ground and if so is the compression against the ground less efficient if the ground is soft/wet? 

Not trying to be rude, but have you ever watched a video of a golf ball being hit in slow motion? The ball doesnt compress into the ground. 

On a well struck iron shot, the club strikes the ball, then the ball launches upwards while the iron continues to descend into the turf, creating the divot. The ball doesnt touch the ground after it has been struck.

Wet conditions affect how much the ball will roll out once it lands and how receptive the greens are.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good point. Course is longer so maybe harder.. but doesn't take away distance. Ball has been muddy lately and I always play it down.

Mentally, as soon as I touch the ball, the round is ruined for me so maybe the mud is getting to me. 

The wind works in all directions.  It can make a hole play longer or shorter than advertised.  It can magnify, or reduce, the effect spin has on the trajectory of the ball.  When its really whipping it can be quite a challenge.

As for the second question...the ball doesn't compress...it deforms.  Compression is the name given to the relative "deformability" of the ball.  Wet conditions reduce, or eliminate roll, and make it easier to chunk the shot.  While one can get away with a slightly "fat" pass, off firm turf, it doesn't work at all in the muck.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1) No wind you will shoot 1..2 strokes below average.
2) 1 club wind you will shoot your average score.
3) 2 club wind you will shoot 2 stroke above your average
4) 3 or more clubs wind you will be all over the place. In average 4..5 strokes above your average.

Wet conditions affect also. The course play longer but greens are softer. It depends on the course length and green softeness to figure out wicth one will prevale. 

About compression, your concept is wrong. The ball desform itself in contact with the club for just a few miliseconds before lunching away from it. 

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

1) No wind you will shoot 1..2 strokes below average.
2) 1 club wind you will shoot your average score.
3) 2 club wind you will shoot 2 stroke above your average
4) 3 or more clubs wind you will be all over the place. In average 4..5 strokes above your average.

Just curious is this an opinion or the result of a study?  Not arguing and I think it makes sense, but was wondering.  I also think playing in wind has a lot to do with what you are used to.  NJ really doesn't have much wind most of the year so I was often a mess on windy days.  But since I moved to a windier place I've noticed I've learned to handle it better.

As to wetness, I think it depends on how wet you are talking about.  The right about of rain can make a course play much easier, think about a summer rain that softens the greens but not the fairways, but a lot of rain, like in March, can make a course several shots harder.

• Like 1

The better the playing condition, the better I will play. 

I lose a few strokes in windy conditions. I have had several putts be blown off line due to the wind. This, even though I tried to allow for those ground winds. 

As for tee, fairway, and other approach shots in windy conditions, I just take what wind gives me. I lose yardage on some holes, while gaining yardage on others. I will be more focused on club selection, and will be hoping my knock down, punch shots are working well for me.

As for wet conditions, I will lose some strokes. Maybe 2-4 depending on just how wet the conditions are. I will use fewer irons, preferring to go more with my metal woods. The metal woods won't dig in to the softer, wet  turf like an iron can do. With the metal woods, I just choke down, and/or use an abbreviated back swing to get the yardages I need. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 hours ago, gbogey said:

Just curious is this an opinion or the result of a study?  Not arguing and I think it makes sense, but was wondering.  I also think playing in wind has a lot to do with what you are used to.  NJ really doesn't have much wind most of the year so I was often a mess on windy days.  But since I moved to a windier place I've noticed I've learned to handle it better.

As to wetness, I think it depends on how wet you are talking about.  The right about of rain can make a course play much easier, think about a summer rain that softens the greens but not the fairways, but a lot of rain, like in March, can make a course several shots harder.

Personal experience. I play on a windy course. Strong winds and heavy rain are the factors that affect scoring the most.   

Wind will certainly affect scores. Not only will it lengthen holes into the wind- the biggest issue is the player trying to smash the ball into the wind by hitting it harder. So ANY off kilter fade becomes a raging slice or that draw will become a hook and go further off line into worse trouble. It's the recovery shots back into play that balloon the scores. 

Soft conditions have some trade offs- less roll in the fairways, but more hold on the greens. Even with the longer irons.

I think that very wet conditions affect poor golfers more than good golfers.  That should almost go without saying.  However, if you think about it, better golfers are making more consistent contact while high handicappers are routinely hitting fat shots, which wet terrain (and frankly very dry terrain also) will be more of an issue for.

I hit a "line drive" shot with most of my clubs and count on the ball rolling out quite a bit.  A very wet course curtails my game enough to add 2-4 strokes to my score.  Having just moved to the windy Jersey Shore last Fall I can manage with my lower ball flight but steady winds of 25mph+ will add a couple of strokes.  I also have yet to figure out how the wind can be in my face on 14 of 18 holes!

On 4/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, Cantankerish said:

I think that very wet conditions affect poor golfers more than good golfers.  That should almost go without saying.  However, if you think about it, better golfers are making more consistent contact while high handicappers are routinely hitting fat shots, which wet terrain (and frankly very dry terrain also) will be more of an issue for.

Soggy conditions are a lot like hitting out of sandy, soft fairway bunkers. Exposes flaws in swing path/angle that firm ground helps mitigate. 

19 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Soggy conditions are a lot like hitting out of sandy, soft fairway bunkers. Exposes flaws in swing path/angle that firm ground helps mitigate. 

Right.  This is why I need me some good conditions, man.

Wet conditions don't effect me whatsoever. Matter of fact if its so wet its lift clean and place that means is cheatin time baby! 

The only weather conditions that effect my game are wind or soul crushing humidity. I hate wind, and i hate hot and humid just as much. So much so i aborted my publix qualifier round last summer even though i was on track to qualify being +1 through 12 holes. I just couldn't take it anymore. 

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!