IGNORED

At Odds With My Fitter

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the process of being fitted for new clubs, as well as taking lessons from the same person, and we’re having a bit of a disagreement. 

Without getting to long-winded, he has suggested a couple of different clubs, based on the numbers we're seeing on the TrackMan. Both have improved the numbers to varying degrees, and he's really pushing me to the Callaway Rogue X. 

When I asked him if I could try a couple different clubs, just to cover all our bases, he basically said that what I'm asking is for demo clubs, he's a club fitter and builder, and these are the clubs I should choose between. My opinion is that I'm paying good money for this, and if I want to be a part of the process and try a few different things, I should be able to. 

Am I wrong on this? Should I just take what he gives me, and write the check? Or am I allowed to be part of the process?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vote with your wallet.   If you don't get a say in your fitting, you're wasting your time.   if you're not happy with the clubs and purchase them, every time you make a bad swing, you're going to curse that guy.     

Personally, I'd find another club fitter and if this guy has that attitude about lessons, I'd find another instructor.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, surfmonkey89 said:

I'm in the process of being fitted for new clubs, as well as taking lessons from the same person, and we’re having a bit of a disagreement. 

Without getting to long-winded, he has suggested a couple of different clubs, based on the numbers we're seeing on the TrackMan. Both have improved the numbers to varying degrees, and he's really pushing me to the Callaway Rogue X. 

When I asked him if I could try a couple different clubs, just to cover all our bases, he basically said that what I'm asking is for demo clubs, he's a club fitter and builder, and these are the clubs I should choose between. My opinion is that I'm paying good money for this, and if I want to be a part of the process and try a few different things, I should be able to. 

Am I wrong on this? Should I just take what he gives me, and write the check? Or am I allowed to be part of the process?

Could you provide some more details about the fitting process? What clubs did you test? Is there a reason you don't want the Rogue X?

Ultimately, it's your money, so I feel you do have a say in the clubs. What other clubs were you looking to try?

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, surfmonkey89 said:

You are not wrong by wanting to be part of the fitting process. You are the customer, and it's your money. If your swing instructor/fitter/builder, and yourself (it's a two way street) are not in agreement with that approach, perhaps you might want to look else where for service. 

Now the OP said the instructor is also a club builder. Myself, if my fitter is also a club builder, I would pay for, and have him build me one club based on my swing specs. Maybe a 5 or 6 iron. Once built, I would give that club a thorough shake down as for it's playability based on my specs. Obviously this would only work if I had consistent swing.

Componet clubs without the big brand names are just as good. I have relatively cheap, older clubs, and most of the time I score better than the high dollar, name brand sets.

If I am happy with that one club, then I would gain some confidence in the guru, and have him build the rest of my set. I would also want the builder to agree to any future adjustments needed, at an agreeable price..

If the club does not play well for me, I would probably move on, happy with the money I saved by not buying a possible ill fitting set. 

Years ago, I had a swing guru who was also fitter/builder. He was a craftsman at his trade. Everything fit my swing quite well..

The set he made me was made up of components. He would watch me play. If an errant ball flight continually occured, the club either needed more tweaking, or he would tell me my swing sucked, and tell me what I. was doing wrong. (Yeah, I paid him to tell me my swing sucked) I stayed with him many years until his untimely passing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to At Odds With My Fitter
9 hours ago, billchao said:

Could you provide some more details about the fitting process? What clubs did you test? Is there a reason you don't want the Rogue X?

Ultimately, it's your money, so I feel you do have a say in the clubs. What other clubs were you looking to try?

Put me on the TrackMan with my current clubs (Mizuno MX-200s). I spent the entire first session hitting my seven iron, and we noted the numbers. My spin rate on some swings was as high as 11k, my club face was extremely closed, and my distance was around 145. Swing speed around 90-92. We worked a fair amount on getting my hands forward, and weight transfer.

Next session he had built me a TaylorMade M6, one inch longer, with an extra stiff shaft. Spin rate was lower, though I don't know how much of that was the club versus my practicing (I'm getting down into the low-to-mid 7000s now, sometimes lower on really good swings, five weeks later).

Third session he gave me a RogueX, 1.25" longer, extra stiff shaft, =4 midsize grip. Getting around 95mph, 6700rpm, 180+ on good swings now, with much lower disperson than either the Mizuno or M6 7-iron.

At that point I said I really liked the grip and shaft on the RogueX, and thought it would be good to try that setup on the M6 for an apples-to-apples comparison. I also asked if maybe I could try something like the Rogue, Rogue Pro, Apex, or something like that in a TaylorMade, in an attempt to get something closer to my current clubhead, but with the shaft and grip I preferred.

The things I don't like about the RogueX, in descending order of irritation, are: the topline, the feel (it feels like something between my irons and a hybrid coming off the face), the jacked lofts, and the need for more wedges to fill out my gaps due to the lofts. The positives are much narrower dispersion, and much greater distance, but I know that has a lot to do with the lofts.

I had another lesson today, and I'm about to give in on the RogueXs. For all my quibbles, it's hard to argue against the distance and forgiveness of the clubs. Hopefully I'll be able to improve my fundamentals even with the built-in forgiveness of any errors going forward.

Sorry for the length, but hey - you asked!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Don’t buy something you do not like. However if I realize someone is smarter than me on a specific topic and has built trust with me based on performance I would defer to their opinion. 

Make me swing lefty with some ladies clubs — if I hit it further and more accurate I will play them. 

@surfmonkey89 it sounds like the larger sweet spot of Rogue X is helping your dispersion. That is a huge positive and certainly hard to ignore. I guess if you are the type of person who grows in to things, I think you can get over the chunky topline and the less than 'full' strike feel after a few rounds.

Give it a go - they are not bad set at all and you might surprise yourself as to how much you might end up liking them. The distance adjustment might throw you off for a little bit when you fly a few greens but you adjust.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

@surfmonkey89, this is an important decision for sure.  Results are results, but your preferences matter.  Like @GolfLug said, if you grow into things (the aesthetics and feels), maybe it'll work.  But, if it doesn't, once you've ordered something, it's on you, not the instructor/fitter.  You'll definitely be wondering "what if" if something goes wrong.  Best to get that out of the way now when it doesn't cost anything. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Whether we like it or not how a club looks to us is important in how we use it.  After reading your story, I have some confidence in your fitter's process but if the club doesn't look right to you, you need to say so.  If he doesn't care, go elsewhere.

Since this is the first time I’ve ever been fitted, I wasn’t sure of the process. It sounds like my fitter is doing right by me, and I do think I can get used to the look of the club. 

I’m 90% sure I’ll go with the RogueX at this point. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

32 minutes ago, surfmonkey89 said:

Since this is the first time I’ve ever been fitted, I wasn’t sure of the process. It sounds like my fitter is doing right by me, and I do think I can get used to the look of the club. 

I’m 90% sure I’ll go with the RogueX at this point. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

It also sounds to me that your fitter knows what he's doing, so you can at least buy with confidence. That said, it's still your money. If you're really not into the Rogue X, I don't think anyone will fault you for not buying them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

See if the place where you're getting them has a playability guarantee. Some stores do. I have 60 days to play the crap out of my Cobra One Lengths. If I don't like them I can bring them back and get something else. So you know, ask. Golf clubs are expensive. And I know part of the whole thing about getting new clubs is the cool look of them. You have to like the look and the feel. To me the feel is the most important thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I don't know how big of an operation your fitter has but it sounds like he is actually gluing all these clubs together for you to try and then has to unassemble them too....  Sort of weird that he doesn't have some sort of " fitting cart" type of set up where he can screw things together for you without gluing.  Sounds to me like that is his issue.  

Screwing together 10 different combo is a lot less work, time and money than gluing and taking them apart.

If your not happy, find someone else.  Sounds like he is helping though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!