IGNORED

Tony Romo Playing in the Byron Nelson - How Will He Fare?

Big C
Note: This thread is 1667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Will Tony Romo Impress, Embarrass, or something in between?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the lower of Tony Romo's Thursday & Friday Scores

• Impress (Even Par 72 or lower)
    • Embarrass (78 or higher)
    • Somewhere in between (73-77)

Romo finished with a 76-74 - 8 over par performance. He finished tied with JJ Henry, ahead of 4 others who completed both rounds and 3 guys who withdrew. 

He didn't quite hit the lofty "72 or better" prediction I had set for him, but I would call it a pretty respectable showing nonetheless.

And an interesting stat - Romo was actually 5- under on the par 5's, while going 13 over on the par 3's & 4's!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Zekez said:

What a weak field.  Pre-PGA tourney the reason?

It's not particularly weak. 14 of the top 50 OWGR are there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The only purpose that this stunt serves is to prove that amateurs of his quality do not belong playing with the professionals.  He wouldn't stand a chance in the US amateur either.  He's a very good golfer, but that's not enough.  I enjoyed it, though, and it's probably good for ratings.

2 hours ago, Herkimer said:

it's probably good for ratings

It caused a lot of people to talk about the tournament.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 5/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, Zekez said:

What a weak field.  Pre-PGA tourney the reason?

Lots of guys skip the week before a major.  Probably why the field isn’t very strong. 

21 hours ago, iacas said:

It's not particularly weak. 14 of the top 50 OWGR are there.

That's weak by my standard.   From the list below, this field is not too exciting. 

Top 50 players in 2019 AT&T Byron Nelson field

• 3. Brooks Koepka
  • 19. Patrick Reed
  • 22. Marc Leishman
  • 28. Hideki Matsuyama
  • 31. Rafa Cabrera Bello
  • 33. Alex Noren
  • 36. Jordan Spieth
  • 40. Henrik Stenson
  • 42. Kiradech Aphibarnrat
  • 43. Lucas Bjerregaard
  • 46. Branden Grace
  • 48. Charles Howell III
  • 50. Thorbjorn Olesen
Edited by Zekez

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Herkimer said:

The only purpose that this stunt serves is to prove that amateurs of his quality do not belong playing with the professionals.  He wouldn't stand a chance in the US amateur either.  He's a very good golfer, but that's not enough.  I enjoyed it, though, and it's probably good for ratings.

As has been pointed out multiple times, it's a sponsor's exemption, and it seems to have worked. Many, many more people talked about the event than they would have without Tony Romo playing in it.

He's done okay in some U.S. Open qualifying, IIRC. The U.S. Am is a college player's game, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

As has been pointed out multiple times, it's a sponsor's exemption, and it seems to have worked. Many, many more people talked about the event than they would have without Tony Romo playing in it.

He's done okay in some U.S. Open qualifying, IIRC. The U.S. Am is a college player's game, though.

True.  And those college kids (many of them) play like pros.

• 4 months later...

Romo is 2 under through the first round of

the Safeway Open. I knew he had more game then most celebrity golfers but even so, I’m pretty damn impressed.

• Like 1

Good opening round for Romo, T28 with the projected cut looking to be even.

Do you think he makes the cut, or returns to the football booth for the weekend?

I'm thinking yesterday's 5 birdies is not the norm and he misses the cut.

Edited by Wally Fairway
Typo

Players play, tough players win!

6 hours ago, Big C said:

Romo is 2 under through the first round of

the Safeway Open. I knew he had more game then most celebrity golfers but even so, I’m pretty damn impressed.

That is because he listens to smooooth jazz when he practices.:-P

skechers-go-golf-smooth-jazz-featuring-t

Former NFL quarterback Tony Romo explains that he needs to be comfortable while playing golf. First, he wears SKECHERS GO GOLF...

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 9/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, Herkimer said:

He tied for 130th place and he won't be playing this weekend.  That says it all.  (And, yes, he's a very good player....but still.)

Yes. "Very good" just doesn't cut it in the pros! 

• Thumbs Up 1

He has no chance in any tour event...Zip, none, nada, zero, etc., etc. He is a good to fair amateur, but would lose to any of the elite mid-amateurs, though I would like to see him compete in TGA/USGA amateur tourneys. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• Administrator
Just now, MarvChamp said:

He has no chance in any tour event...Zip, none, nada, zero, etc., etc. He is a good to fair amateur, but would lose to any of the elite mid-amateurs, though I would like to see him compete in TGA/USGA amateur tourneys. Best, -Marv

He was T28 after one round this year, beating almost a hundred PGA Tour pros.

Just now, iacas said:

He was T28 after one round this year, beating almost a hundred PGA Tour pros.

PGA tournaments are four rounds.😀

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!