DeadMan

Poll: Do Clubs Clinking Bother You When Swinging?

Do Clubs Clinking Together Bother You?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do Clubs Clinking Together Bother You?

• Yes, I need it quiet when I'm hitting.
    • No, it doesn't bother me.

34 posts / 1124 viewsLast Reply

I learned long ago, when I was in the air force, that if you waited for no sound you would never hit a shot.  Fighter planes make a lot of noise when they are taking off, landing and generally flying around.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I almost always carry both when playing alone or with friends and although I've never noticed any club chatter, I try to be cognizant of other players.  Don't walk right past them, don't yank up my bag if I've finished and they're hitting a putt, and when walking past the range, I'll rest my hand on the club heads to keep them still and minimize any noise.

I used to play with someone (regularly) who would distract me on purpose mid-shot.  Unless you're making the clanging with the intent of distracting me, I don't care.  That said, I try to stay still when others are hitting, but I'll move ahead while they're getting prepared. 

If I hit my shot well, no. Poorly, yes.

Doesn’t bother me one bit. The folks that do get rattled over every little thing.......I refuse to play with again. Real short list. 

Noise nor movement bothers me so long as it is constant.  What does bother me are those sudden outbursts of noise or sudden movements.  People could have a full blown conversation, run in place, or clang away at the golf clubs so long as they do it without stopping during my swing.  

no - that guy is a whiny baby.  I bet he doesn't notice if the shot is good.  If it's bad, he would have found another reason for HIS poor execution.

That said - for courtesy, if I'm walking and my irons are clinking, I'll bring my hand and fingers down to the clubheads and stop the clatter - it doesn't take any effort and it's the nice thing to do.  Still....my lead comment still applies.  Courtesy is NOT a requirement.  It's a choice.  Each player is responsible for how --they react-- to everything.

simply speaking - he had the option to KINDLY ask you to still your clubheads before the shot.  Since it was after the fact, it's a tantrum.

Edited by rehmwa

17 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

if I'm walking and my irons are clinking

Pushcarts remedy that issue.

I agree with your post otherwise.

21 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Pushcarts remedy that issue.

I agree with your post otherwise.

Irons clinking are the next best sound to spikes clicking in the parking lot.  And the latter is now history.

21 hours ago, BC-to-MI said:

Agree with pretty much everything here. Noise doesn't really bother me as it's pretty much unavoidable for the most part. The only thing that might throw me off is when I can see people moving in my peripheral vision as I'm about to swing. Other than that, anything that goes wrong with a shot is all on me.

This is me too. Hell, I don’t even care if people are talking or laughing, I don’t care about noise at all. It’s my peripheral vision as you stated I want to be “quiet”.

Background noise doesn’t bother me at all.  Talk, rustle around, whatever.  The only thing that could bother me, is something loud and unexpected that startles me in the middle of my actual swing...

I golf with many walkers and they would usually stop stride when players are hitting.
I used to throw my towel over the clubs to prevent them from clanking.

To me it's just consideration for others in the group.
Players can continue walking and prevent their clubs from clanking.

I think it's good to learn to play with small distractions like that. If you can't get used to them when practicing, they'll really bother you when competing/gambling.

More than anything it depends on the ambient noise and how close it is to me.  If it is a very quiet day and it loud and next to me in the middle of my backswing, it will bug me.  If it is far away probably not.  I make it a point to be stationary when somebody else is hitting to not disturb them

Only sudden loud noises bother me when I swing.