IGNORED

Handicaps Are Just a System That Makes Bad Golfers Think They Can Compete

FLOG4
Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

My post ended with Ha...Go figure...So played a member guest and my partner and I are about same caps...So we live in no mans land..Can't really win gross best ball....and net...forgetaboutit….So we both played well and hammed and egged well...We posted a 70 better ball. And a 63 net...Sitting at table afterwards and guy at table bitching about how bad he played...Yada  Yada Yada....He shot 83....So they make announcements of scores/winners...Our 70 was good for 4th place gross....63 not in the payout slots net....They announce the winning net team and the bitcher and partner stand up....He comes back and we congratulate him and partner. Someone asks him his handicap.....He says 25....I say to him you shot 83 with 25 handicap....net 58 on his own ball....He laughs and says he gave game up and just getting back in and his first rounds were not too good. At least his partner kicked in a couple as they shot 56. 

OK. So maybe this post should have been about "sandbaggers"! They are out there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Handicaps Are Just a System That Makes Bad Golfers Think They Can Compete
11 hours ago, FLOG4 said:

When you play real golf....you play, you post your score...end of story. When you play make believe golf. You play you post your score figure out your net based on handicap. And tell your story about how you won the net division....A real golfer has no interest in competing in net anything. Ya gotta love golf where really bad players pat themselves on the back and pronounce their winning. You see Monday to Friday I shoot 90...But come Saturday miraculously I shoot 80......Hey I won the tennis championship at my club as my opponent only got one serve and had to cover the doubles line said no tennis player ever.….Ya gotta love golf. Ha   

I disagree with the premise you are trying. The handicap system is in place so that golfers off all skill levels CAN compete with one another. Obviously there are sandbaggers and people with vanity handicaps, but these are outliers. And the handicap committee is there to identify these outliers. When a player who normally has a course handicap of 22. And plays in 3 handicap tournaments and posts rounds in the mid 80s. The committee will automatically lower their handicap.

In short the handicap system has checks and balances.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK. So maybe this post should have been about "sandbaggers"! They are out there. 

That’s why I always count gross strokes. I don’t care about handicaps. Not interested in giving or taking strokes; just play golf. 

• Like 1

So back to the original premise...Name one sport....just one....that has a handicap system for competitive play....Other than Golf. Darts, Horse Shoes, Billiards, Tennis, Boxing, Fencing, Running, Wrestling, Badminton, Table Tennis, Pickle Ball, Curling, Archery, Shooting, Swimming, Bocce Ball, Cycling, Diving, Skating, Hand Ball, Gymnastics,  jai Alai, Water Skiing, Skiing, Kayaking, Karate, Judo, Raquet Ball, Foosball, Shuffleboard, Skateboarding, Rodeo, Squash, Luge, Rowing, Trampolining......So why is it that Golf has a handicap system which allows bad players to think they can compete with good players.....When there isn't one dang other sport which does this....I understand the bit about it allows Jane to compete with Bill.....Got it. But in competitive play with many times much dinero on the line....There is Golf with it's handicap.

Maybe just maybe the handicap system lessens ones desire to improve....Don't want to give up any of those strokes I'm getting. In fact I want to get a few more...Ha

Or maybe that is why Golf is the best game there is. It is maddening. 

21 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

So back to the original premise...Name one sport....just one....that has a handicap system for competitive play....Other than Golf. Darts, Horse Shoes, Billiards, Tennis, Boxing, Fencing, Running, Wrestling, Badminton, Table Tennis, Pickle Ball, Curling, Archery, Shooting, Swimming, Bocce Ball, Cycling, Diving, Skating, Hand Ball, Gymnastics,  jai Alai, Water Skiing, Skiing, Kayaking, Karate, Judo, Raquet Ball, Foosball, Shuffleboard, Skateboarding, Rodeo, Squash, Luge, Rowing, Trampolining......So why is it that Golf has a handicap system which allows bad players to think they can compete with good players.....When there isn't one dang other sport which does this....I understand the bit about it allows Jane to compete with Bill.....Got it. But in competitive play with many times much dinero on the line....There is Golf with it's handicap.

Maybe just maybe the handicap system lessens ones desire to improve....Don't want to give up any of those strokes I'm getting. In fact I want to get a few more...Ha

Horse racing. Horses and jockeys are handicapped with different weights.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

So why is it that Golf has a handicap system which allows bad players to think they can compete with good players....

You’re missing the entire point of the HCP system. It isn’t so less skilled players think they can compete. It’s so they can. Boxing, wrestling has weight divisions. Martial arts has belts. Golf isn’t about physicality being the main determinant of competence. It’s skill. And the levels are vastly varying so the hcp system allows anyone to compete against anyone as fair as possible.

In all the other sports you named, you don’t have advanced players competing against novices. You won’t see a 5th degree black belt be in tournament matched against a yellow belt. You won’t see a 215lb dude wrestle a 130lb dude. There’s no point. But with golf the hcp system allows an advanced player to play against a beginner as fair as possible. Do you have kids? Do you play sports with them? I play basketball with my 13yr old boy and we have a rule where I can't jump or slam dunk. It’s too easy for me to block his shots if I jump so it makes it a much better game with my being ‘handicapped.’ 

• Like 4

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

34 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

You can't polish a turd but I'll try.

I can actually name several sports that use a handicap system for competitive play.

As @Double Mocha Man stated Horse Racing is one.

Bowling is probably the one that is most a kin to golf's handicap system. Bowling's is a stupid easy to figure out too. You take the difference from 200 and your USBC certified league average and you get 90% of that only in whole pins.

Pool is another game where a beginner can take on a pro if your an average stick at pool. You'd have to win say 4 games in a series of 8-ball games where a pro would need 9. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

40 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

Sports with handicaps:

• Bowling
  • Horse racing (already mentioned)
  • Archery
  • Sailing
  • Table tennis
  • Pool

Theoretically, you could handicap almost any sport. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, FLOG4 said:

Ok. Got you.  I played a tourney that used Callaway handicapping.  My team shot +1 so we got a stroke. After all other handicaps were applied the net scores placings mimicked the gross scores.  The Callaway system makes no difference if you shoot scratch.  

In my experience you have to shoot well under par gross to have a chance in these best ball tourneys.

All sports are handicapped...by bookmakers.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Horse racing is horses and varies weights a few pounds...But it is horses...Karate/Wrestling/Judo there are weight classes and even belts but there is no handicapping in tournaments. Yea you compete against same size...Yea cuz a 200 pounder would slaughter a 100 pounder...But within the competitive class there is no handicap. Table Tennis, I played tournament level...Yea they give you a rating and you compete at your level...Chess has similar rating system but again at tournament level no handicap. . bowling for league play which I have done has a great handicap system...but at tournament play there is no handicap. Have never heard of Archery handicap. 

Let's spell it out another way....Is there any other sport at tournament level which has a gross winner and a net winner.  

The best golf tournaments  are when similar handicapped players are grouped and then they play with....NO handicaps.....But when you play many events which group everybody together with one handicap system for the day...It is always a sandbaggers dream...

So many armchair experts in the Sand Trap...But please name one sport which has a handicap system at tournament play. It might be sailing. That would fit. The elitist establishment creating time advantages for their bad racers who need help to compete....Hey that sounds like golf.

1 minute ago, FLOG4 said:

Horse racing is horses and varies weights a few pounds...But it is horses...Karate/Wrestling/Judo there are weight classes and even belts but there is no handicapping in tournaments. Yea you compete against same size...Yea cuz a 200 pounder would slaughter a 100 pounder...But within the competitive class there is no handicap. Table Tennis, I played tournament level...Yea they give you a rating and you compete at your level...Chess has similar rating system but again at tournament level no handicap. . bowling for league play which I have done has a great handicap system...but at tournament play there is no handicap. Have never heard of Archery handicap. 

Let's spell it out another way....Is there any other sport at tournament level which has a gross winner and a net winner.  

The best golf tournaments  are when similar handicapped players are grouped and then they play with....NO handicaps.....But when you play many events which group everybody together with one handicap system for the day...It is always a sandbaggers dream...

So many armchair experts in the Sand Trap...But please name one sport which has a handicap system at tournament play. It might be sailing. That would fit. The elitist establishment creating time advantages for their bad racers who need help to compete....Hey that sounds like golf.

No one cares. We are on a GOLF forum. If you don’t like golf and it’s handicap system, go play other sports. You got sandbagged and are pissed about it. Fine. But stop whining about a system that has been around a very long time that allows players of all abilities to play against each other. Geez.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

Bowling. Happens all the time.

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

No one cares. We are on a GOLF forum. If you don’t like golf and it’s handicap system, go play other sports. You got sandbagged and are pissed about it. Fine. But stop whining about a system that has been around a very long time that allows players of all abilities to play against each other. Geez.

This.

Plus, dude, you’re an 8.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bowling. Yes. It is all about the numbers. You need numbers to create handicaps. 

Yes this is a golf forum...Anybody know what a ribbed grip is? Any advise on an aggressive ribbed grip? 

1 hour ago, FLOG4 said:

The best golf tournaments  are when similar handicapped players are grouped and then they play with....NO handicaps...

A handicap system creates the ability to group players of similar ability.  Without the handicap system, how would one set-up the flights or groups? Weight?  Height?

As to your general condemnation of the handicap system, I don't share your opinion.  A properly run handicapped event can be fun and fair.  The event you played in was not properly supervised.  Shame on the Tournament Committee, not shame on the handicap system.

• Like 2

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

Bowling. Yes. It is all about the numbers. You need numbers to create handicaps. 

Yes this is a golf forum...Anybody know what a ribbed grip is? Any advise on an aggressive ribbed grip? 

We named a sport that handicaps in tournaments. Now stop behaving like an ass.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, FLOG4 said:

But please name one sport which has a handicap

Track and Field. Specifically Masters track and Field. Here is an article from USATF on it. 

Many sports have a way of providing a “handicap” to athletes of differing abilities. This allows...

The WMA’s (biggest meets in the world for masters) only use it for Multi-events. However, many other major regional/national events (especially long distance road runs) use it on a regular basis. You have overall winners and age graded winners in many of these events. 

9 hours ago, FLOG4 said:

So back to the original premise...Name one sport....just one....that has a handicap system for competitive play.

There are events in the skiing world - slalom, where competitors of different skill levels are handicapped with on racer, head-to-head, is given an start seconds ahead of their competitor.

There are a few others - but you said name one, so there it is. Maybe you should take that chip off your shoulder.
Or play better golf, or understand there are sandbaggers that thrive on putting someone like you on tilt.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!