IGNORED

Do You Want to Know Your Missing Opponent's Match Play Scores or Not?

Zekez
Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of course I'd want to know.  It makes a difference if nothing else if you're on the last tee and you have the lead; might play more conservative than if I was down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Of course I'd want to know.  It makes a difference if nothing else if you're on the last tee and you have the lead; might play more conservative than if I was down.

this...

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

56 minutes ago, Patch said:

Knowing, or not knowing I would take either way. Maybe I'd like to know the other player's final score, but not a hole by hole break down. The old "tmi" scenario.

I'd be playing the course, not the absentee player. The course in itself, and how I would play it, would keep me plenty occupied. 

In match play, I want to know where my opponent is, and how many strokes he's taken.  In match play, I'm playing the other guy in addition to playing the course.  If I know his score on each hole, I believe it gives me a little advantage, in that I can adjust my strategy appropriately.  If I know a bogey will win a hole, I might make a different decision than if I knew I needed a birdie to tie, different from simply playing for lowest score.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'll echo what others have already posted by saying I'd absolutely want to know. It affects course management decisions.

I also think it's dumb that you have to "play" somebody's previous round score because they're not there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Do You Want to Know Your Missing Opponent's Match Play Scores or Not?
14 hours ago, Patch said:

Knowing, or not knowing I would take either way. Maybe I'd like to know the other player's final score, but not a hole by hole break down. The old "tmi" scenario.

I'd be playing the course, not the absentee player. The course in itself, and how I would play it, would keep me plenty occupied. 

It’s match play.  The total score is irrelevant...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Patch said:

It’s match play, so you’re very much playing the other player.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, Zekez said:

How does your league handle it when a golfer can't make it to the league night?  

They forfeit

Or, in a team league, there are 4 players but only 3 designated matches count each week.  So if one guy misses, the other 3 play as normal.  If 2 miss, the team forfeits one match...

In David's bag....

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

They forfeit

Or, in a team league, there are 4 players but only 3 designated matches count each week.  So if one guy misses, the other 3 play as normal.  If 2 miss, the team forfeits one match...

Does your league allow golfers to "golf out" if they cannot make it on league night?

In a singles league guys are definitely going to miss due to a variety of factors.  Forfeits are not even remotely a good way to handle no-shows in this league. 

17 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Does your league allow golfers to "golf out" if they cannot make it on league night?

In a singles league guys are definitely going to miss due to a variety of factors.  Forfeits are not even remotely a good way to handle no-shows in this league. 

I played in one stroke play league that allowed it.

Never in match play.

In David's bag....

Crapy way to manage an absence. For me is show or forefit... 

Maybe add some arbitrary strokes to random holes to the previous 9 holes played? 

On 6/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, Zekez said:

My league is match play.  Tonight my opponent won't be there so he can use his scores from the last time that he played the same 9 holes course for his scores tonight.

Would you want to know his scores or not before playing?  Does knowing the scores make you grind it out harder and focus more or do you put more pressure on yourself? I lean more towards not wanting to know and just play. 

Yes, I would want to know. After his scores are known, I will decide if I will show up. I will definitly not show up if my last round scores would be better then his. Easy win.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Yes, I would want to know. After his scores are known, I will decide if I will show up. I will definitly not show up if my last round scores would be better then his. Easy win.

I'd rather golf.

My club handles our two match play championships (individual and fourball) this way:  the play-in round (for qualifying/seeding) is done as per any other tournament:  everyone show up, play medal play in the format (individual or best-ball) and turn in the scorecard.  Then we get seeds and self-schedule the other rounds.  Do you just have a regularly scheduled weekly match play?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Back many years ago when I played in company leagues, we had an approved substitute list that you had to use to get someone to play in your place if you couldn't make the scheduled day or arrange to play at another time before the next scheduled round.

War Eagle!

I would want to know what they shot.

I have never heard of a league handling absences like that. Both leagues I've played on if you missed a day you forfeited that persons points or you had to find a sub who would play off scratch unless they already established a handicap on that league.

Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!