Zekez

Do You Want to Know Your Missing Opponent's Match Play Scores or Not?

39 posts / 1597 viewsLast Reply

Of course I'd want to know.  It makes a difference if nothing else if you're on the last tee and you have the lead; might play more conservative than if I was down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

16 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Of course I'd want to know.  It makes a difference if nothing else if you're on the last tee and you have the lead; might play more conservative than if I was down.

this...

56 minutes ago, Patch said:

Knowing, or not knowing I would take either way. Maybe I'd like to know the other player's final score, but not a hole by hole break down. The old "tmi" scenario.

I'd be playing the course, not the absentee player. The course in itself, and how I would play it, would keep me plenty occupied. 

In match play, I want to know where my opponent is, and how many strokes he's taken.  In match play, I'm playing the other guy in addition to playing the course.  If I know his score on each hole, I believe it gives me a little advantage, in that I can adjust my strategy appropriately.  If I know a bogey will win a hole, I might make a different decision than if I knew I needed a birdie to tie, different from simply playing for lowest score.

I'll echo what others have already posted by saying I'd absolutely want to know. It affects course management decisions.

I also think it's dumb that you have to "play" somebody's previous round score because they're not there.

14 hours ago, Patch said:

Knowing, or not knowing I would take either way. Maybe I'd like to know the other player's final score, but not a hole by hole break down. The old "tmi" scenario.

I'd be playing the course, not the absentee player. The course in itself, and how I would play it, would keep me plenty occupied. 

It’s match play.  The total score is irrelevant...

Playing against an opponents previous SCORe because they didn’t show? Yea, no thanks, not a format I’ll participate in

How does your league handle it when a golfer can't make it to the league night?  

16 hours ago, Patch said:

It’s match play, so you’re very much playing the other player.

19 minutes ago, Zekez said:

How does your league handle it when a golfer can't make it to the league night?  

They forfeit

Or, in a team league, there are 4 players but only 3 designated matches count each week.  So if one guy misses, the other 3 play as normal.  If 2 miss, the team forfeits one match...

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

They forfeit

Or, in a team league, there are 4 players but only 3 designated matches count each week.  So if one guy misses, the other 3 play as normal.  If 2 miss, the team forfeits one match...

Does your league allow golfers to "golf out" if they cannot make it on league night?

In a singles league guys are definitely going to miss due to a variety of factors.  Forfeits are not even remotely a good way to handle no-shows in this league. 

17 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Does your league allow golfers to "golf out" if they cannot make it on league night?

In a singles league guys are definitely going to miss due to a variety of factors.  Forfeits are not even remotely a good way to handle no-shows in this league. 

I played in one stroke play league that allowed it.

Never in match play.

Crapy way to manage an absence. For me is show or forefit... 

Maybe add some arbitrary strokes to random holes to the previous 9 holes played? 

On 6/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, Zekez said:

My league is match play.  Tonight my opponent won't be there so he can use his scores from the last time that he played the same 9 holes course for his scores tonight.

Would you want to know his scores or not before playing?  Does knowing the scores make you grind it out harder and focus more or do you put more pressure on yourself? I lean more towards not wanting to know and just play. 

Yes, I would want to know. After his scores are known, I will decide if I will show up. I will definitly not show up if my last round scores would be better then his. Easy win.

6 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Yes, I would want to know. After his scores are known, I will decide if I will show up. I will definitly not show up if my last round scores would be better then his. Easy win.

I'd rather golf.

My club handles our two match play championships (individual and fourball) this way:  the play-in round (for qualifying/seeding) is done as per any other tournament:  everyone show up, play medal play in the format (individual or best-ball) and turn in the scorecard.  Then we get seeds and self-schedule the other rounds.  Do you just have a regularly scheduled weekly match play?

Back many years ago when I played in company leagues, we had an approved substitute list that you had to use to get someone to play in your place if you couldn't make the scheduled day or arrange to play at another time before the next scheduled round.

I would want to know what they shot.

I have never heard of a league handling absences like that. Both leagues I've played on if you missed a day you forfeited that persons points or you had to find a sub who would play off scratch unless they already established a handicap on that league.