Nail

Marker Doesn't Sign Card: Who Is in the Wrong?

22 posts / 1323 viewsLast Reply

So my usual foursome played in the club stableford competition last weekend. One of the guys had a great round scoring 42 points off a 20 handicap. 

We pretty much congratulated him straight away because we knew it was unlikely to be beat even with most people still to play. 

The next day I checked the results and seen he had been disqualified and I was like “wtf happened there” the winner had 41 points so my mate would have won. 

It turns out one of the other guys who marked his card never signed it. The guy with 42 points signed it himself and put it in the box so should have made sure two signatures were on it first. However the marker should have signed it before handing it back to the player too.

Both guys are saying it’s the others fault. 

Who do you think is in the wrong??

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

IMO, if I was submitting paperwork of any kind that pertained to my results or standings in any type of competition, it's on me to make sure its 100% right before submitting.

Not saying the market did nothing wrong, but the buck stops with the competitor.

Imo.

The golfer, not the scorer is at fault.   The golfer put his own card in the box.   the golfer had the chance to review the card for accuracy.   The golfer signed his own card, so should have noticed that the scorer did not sign it.   In the end you are responsible for the accuracy and validity of your card.    Tough break and certainly an oversight by the scorer, but a mistake to learn from and I'm sure the golfer will never make that mistake again.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is precisely why, when I play in a tournament, or with hustlers insisting we play multiple games at once, I bring my attorney and accountant to the course with me.

The player is totally in the wrong. When you sign your card, you are attesting that it is correct and that the marker has done his job - which includes signing it.

Any time you have a good score lime that you check it five times before putting it in the box.

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

This is precisely why, when I play in a tournament, or with hustlers insisting we play multiple games at once, I bring my attorney and accountant to the course with me.

And a Banker is often required …  :whistle:

A golfer is responsible for his own scorecard.  The marker didn't do his job properly, but in the end its the player's job to make sure things are done right.

For what it’s worth I agree that the player is in the wrong, it’s his scorecard so his responsibility to check and double check before handing it in, I do think the marker should sign a card before handing it back so he doesn’t have to get it back to sign but ultimately the player should have noticed when checking his card and I guarantee he won’t make that mistake again 😂

Its the players responsebility, but.......

That marker stinks like a skunk. How often are you the marker of a guy who plays 6 shots better then his handicap. And the marker also was’nt a newbie. What a jerk. Or.....

Was there a reason not to sign? Was the player a sandbagger? Were there questions about the way the 42 points were made? Was there something behind the scenes we don’t know about?

The marker probably usually sign before handing it over, but it's easy to forget. The player is of course responsible, it's his fault he didn't make sure it was signed and that's the way it must be.

You are responsible for your own scorecard. The marker is just there to verify that the score you post is accurate.

Point blank the player is at fault.  It is your responsibility to check that the score on the card is correct, that the marker has signed it and that you have signed it.  Miss any of those and you will be at fault.  End of discussion

Why would the marker sign before the player verifies it is correct. Both players sign AFTER they do so. Not before.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Why would the marker sign before the player verifies it is correct. Both players sign AFTER they do so. Not before.

This. And, I'm sure it was an honest mistake, so I wouldn't go around pointing fingers at anyone. At the least, your friend learned a lesson.

Where I live, you check the result first. Then the marker signs and gives the card back. This might differ for the USA, but thats how it works here in Spain. Played many tournaments over here. So yes, I will point a finger. Skunky move by the marker who knows this is possibly the best card (relative to handicap) the player ever carded. I would be rooting for him, if I was the marker. I would make sure my part would be done for sure.

10 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Its the players responsebility, but.......

That marker stinks like a skunk. How often are you the marker of a guy who plays 6 shots better then his handicap. And the marker also was’nt a newbie. What a jerk. Or.....

Was there a reason not to sign? Was the player a sandbagger? Were there questions about the way the 42 points were made? Was there something behind the scenes we don’t know about?

No we are all newish to golf. All have handicaps for the first time this year. The guy marking genuinely forgot to sign it. The player so excited to shoot 42 points couldn’t get the scorecard in quick enough I’d say. 

He still got cut two strokes though lol so he is now off 18 and he got no prize for his efforts 😂

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Where I live, you check the result first. Then the marker signs and gives the card back. This might differ for the USA, but thats how it works here in Spain. Played many tournaments over here. So yes, I will point a finger. Skunky move by the marker who knows this is possibly the best card (relative to handicap) the player ever carded. I would be rooting for him, if I was the marker. I would make sure my part would be done for sure.

No to that. The player is solely responsible for the card. The player has to verify the card before any signature is applied.