IGNORED

Ball Snaps 150-Yard Stake

jamo
Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMG_7327.jpeg

This happened during a round I played on Saturday. I was playing with my dad and a random guy we were paired up with (Evan).

Evan is about 160 yards from the hole, but thins an iron pretty bad. We're standing about even with the 150 stake, 20 yards left or so, and we hear a loud BANG as his ball splinters the stake. It hit just above the ground, shattering the PVC pipe. The shrapnel blast radius was about 10 yards. 

The bottom of the top couple feet was sharp, so I stuck it back in the ground so groups behind us still had some of a stake (that's what you see in the picture above).

I've seen people hit tee markets, but never a yardage stake. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, jamo said:

Same here, although someone in my group a few days ago said I came within inches of the same thing.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

Usually those are removable. Was that one @jamo?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Usually those are removable. Was that one @jamo?

It was, yeah. He was a good 10 (honestly probably even more) yards back though. I don't think it even crossed his mind. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 minutes ago, jamo said:

It was, yeah. He was a good 10 (honestly probably even more) yards back though. I don't think it even crossed his mind. 

He should’ve tried to hit it..then he’d been guaranteed not to.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I worked at a cheaper public course last year and you’d be shocked at how many we had to replace because of that.. A couple times people drove straight into them....

1 minute ago, freshmanUTA said:

I worked at a cheaper public course last year and you’d be shocked at how many we had to replace because of that.. A couple times people drove straight into them....

Wait... with a cart?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

A few years ago, I hit one on the fly on a par-4 with my drive. Ball went 90° right all the way out of bounds!  :doh:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

13 hours ago, jamo said:

IMG_7327.jpeg

This happened during a round I played on Saturday. I was playing with my dad and a random guy we were paired up with (Evan).

Evan is about 160 yards from the hole, but thins an iron pretty bad. We're standing about even with the 150 stake, 20 yards left or so, and we hear a loud BANG as his ball splinters the stake. It hit just above the ground, shattering the PVC pipe. The shrapnel blast radius was about 10 yards. 

The bottom of the top couple feet was sharp, so I stuck it back in the ground so groups behind us still had some of a stake (that's what you see in the picture above).

I’ve done this about 10 years ago. I was about 20 yards back and to the right, but did a low pull. The marker didn’t break though and my ball careened left out of play.😄 I pull it always now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

At a USKIDS tournament, 11 year old girls, the girl my daughter was playing with hit one with a 3W stinger and shattered it into pieces. 

I have removed them when they were in my way. Then replaced them after my shot. 

Ironically the only time I saw a marker get busted up, was when a worker mowing fairway had a brain fart, and drove over it. 

Just a little embarrassed he was.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I...

I...

... have shattered a 150 yard stake in precisely the manner in which you have described.

🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

My friend did this years ago. He suggested that he should be able to replay without penalty. I explained that this was ROG and that he should have removed the marker. He was not happy.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, freshmanUTA said:

On 7/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, Shindig said:

Wait... with a cart?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Yeah!

happy hour drinking GIF

And there you have... the rest of the story.

• Like 1

- Shane

17 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Hey, @Big C, remember the time you bounced a drive squarely off the TOP of the 100 yard marker at mile square Classic #11?

I do remember that! We all saw the ball take this crazy bounce left - seemingly out of thin air. It wasn't until I found the ball with a huge red paint stain on it that I realized what had happened. That was the first and last time I had ever seen that. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!