IGNORED

2019 Newport Cup Applications Accepted Here

iacas
Note: This thread is 1706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

As in 2017… @mvmac and I are going to use this topic to gather applications for the 2019 Newport Cup.

Those of you with Newport Cup Candidate badges (and if you're interested, this year you can add your own… we just ask that you're below a 13.0 index, or will be), we've got another very simple video survey.

As in 2017, the video helps us (and your prospective teammates!) not only put a face to your name, but to learn a bit more about you than what we can discern from a username, an avatar, and what you have to say in your posts.

The questions are almost the same as last year.

1. VLog a Par 3, Par 4, and Par 5. Talk as little or as much as you want. Narrate your strategy, describe the hole, tell us about your best shot ever there, whatever you like. The only requirement is that you Include your full pre-shot routine and the shot itself, but you can trim (or keep) anything else. Shoot from whatever angle you want, too, so long as we can see you the whole time.
  2. Pretend you just holed a bomb to win the Newport Cup for your team, and show us how you'd react: a fist pump, a leap into Poppy's pond… something. This was a bit of a dud in 2017… we want to see something entertaining! Play it up a little. It's all for fun.
  3. Why do you want and deserve to be chosen to play in the 2019 Newport Cup? (No more false modesty about how you don't "deserve it" but you "want it" - be bold and talk yourself up and tell us why we should pick you.)
  4. What is your best competitive golf memory? Your greatest sporting achievement?
  5. When did you join TST, why, and what have you enjoyed about it since joining the most?
  6. Tell us something about yourself that a prospective teammate or captain might not want to know. :-)
  7. Who is the person on TST - regardless of location - you'd most like to have on your team? Who is the person you'd least like to face on the opposite team? (You must choose different people.) Why?
  8. If you had to invent a slogan or a team motto for your team (East or West), what would it be and why?
  9. If you were hosting the champions dinner at the next Newport Cup as the prior NC's MVP, what would be on the menu and why?

Some basic rules:

• Production quality counts, but only for a little, and only to the point that it may demonstrate a little bit about how much you'd like to make the team. It's not a video production contest.
  • Repeat the question (at least enough of it so we know what you're answering), then give your answer.
  • Smile. :-D These videos should be fun - to make, to view, etc.
  • Be creative. So long as it's not offensive, have fun with it and be creative. Just because there's a list of questions up there doesn't mean you have to just repeat them and answer them. Have your wife interview you. Shoot it Barbara Walters style. Whatever tickles your fancy.
  • Elaborate. Entertain us. Don't just say "I'd like to have so-and-so on my team because he's a good player" or "My best sporting achievement is when I won the city ping-pong championship in 2003. That was fun."
  • Upload and embed. Upload your video to YouTube (or Vimeo) and embed it here in this topic. Make it unlisted if you want, that's fine. Title it something like "@iacas's 2019 Newport Cup Application Video."
  • Other rules may follow if necessary. We'll append them to this first post.

So… let's see 'em! Start planning and, for those of you with lower handicaps in particular, start filming your videos!

Please also add (in text, to your post here) this information and anything else we may need to know:

• Shoe size(s)
  • Shirt size(s)
  • Pant size

List the brand names for the sizes in case any adjustments need to be made.

Note: Not listed here but very important is the amount an applicant posts here on TST. We want to get to know people before we meet them at the Newport Cup. That's part of what has made every prior Newport Cup so successful - we already felt like friends because we already were, and we'd gotten to know everyone already. Someone with only a few posts per week is unlikely to be chosen.

And seriously, guys, do this ASAP. Teams will be chosen by mid August, so do not procrastinate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic

Looking forward to seeing the submissions. This is going to be another great Newport Cup!

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Looking forward to seeing the submissions. This is going to be another great Newport Cup!

Not for you. You're on the wrong coast. 😋

- Shane

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Not for you. You're on the wrong coast. 😋

a 13 smack talking a +2? This is going to be fun. I'll get some popcorn to watch

26 minutes ago, criley4way said:

a 13 smack talking a +2? This is going to be fun. I'll get some popcorn to watch

@mvmac doesn't play and neither does @iacas.

Plus the smack talk is a free for all for the NC 😜

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

38 minutes ago, criley4way said:

I'm not playing, but I am pro-East. 😎

Sorry @mvmac. It's a geography thing.

- Shane

10 hours ago, mvmac said:

I'm with you, I'll be watching closely.  As disappointed as I am to have to miss out, I'll be living vicariously through the selection process, and watching for the match updates when October comes.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Let the games begin!

Here is my Vlog portion of the application. Most of this video has been sitting in the queue anxiously waiting to be edited and sent. I would have liked to have done a voice over but being pressed for time I left that part out.

I will make the questions portion of the application video at a later date.

After our singles match last time around I think I know my answer for the second half of question 7. Some of your recovery shots from the trees were just plain unfair! I suppose that's why we west coasters had to pick a course without any of those trees to even the playing field.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

After our singles match last time around I think I know my answer for the second half of question 7. Some of your recovery shots from the trees were just plain unfair!

I think you are referring to @NCGolfer Dave K. I played Kyle in the singles.

Also, I don't normally hit it in the tees very often. I'd have to swing a lot harder than my body would allow just to reach the trees. ;-)

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Just now, coachjimsc said:

I think you are referring to @NCGolfer Dave K. I played Kyle in the singles.

Also, I don't normally hit it in the tees very often. I'd have to swing a lot harder than my body would allow just to reach the trees. ;-)

Whoops! My mistake after a long hassle following a car break-in.

I just saw the picture, had a flashback to the traumatic memories, and made my comment accordingly. 😁

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Didn't get a chance to go out to play for my vlog yet, but hopefully that's coming soon. For now, I submit to you my application questions.

I thought it would be at most eight minutes long, but apparently I talk a lot, sorry.

• Shoe Size: 9.5 True Original, 10 True Major
  • Shirt Size: Small
  • Pants Size: 30x32

:dance:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I posted my course vlog and added it to my previous post.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Guys, get your submissions in this week, please. @mvmac and I are going to begin selecting teams soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Come on guys, let's see some West Coast submissions!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 1706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!