IGNORED

Do You Like "Big Hole" Tournaments?

Note: This thread is 1571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you enjoy playing in "Big Hole" tournaments?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy playing in "Big Hole" Tournaments?

• Yes, I love 'em.
    • Nope, I hate 'em.
    • I really don't care one way or another
    • Never heard of a big hole tournamen or never tried a big hole tournament.

One of my favorite local courses is hosting a "Big Hole" tournament. I personally do not enjoy big hole tournaments. I've seen 8 inch cup tournaments and 12 inch cup tournaments. They are just not my cup of tea. 

It's funny because I enjoy other slightly odd tournaments. I like Hickory Tournaments. I like midnight tee-off tournaments. I've even played in a couple of tournaments in the winter snow. All fun. The big hole thing for some reason doesn't work for me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve never played one, nor would I.    I prefer golf.  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Never played in one, but have helped sponsor a couple for "Special Kids In Need", and for "Juvenile Diabetes". 

The last one I was associated with didn't have actual holes. They just painted large circles around the regular holes. All the youngster's ball had to do was cross the painted circle line to be considered holed. . 

If it were for a kids' charity, I would play in one. I am a sucker for kids' golf charities.

As for a just a goofy tournament for golfers, I like the "3 Club" variety. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've played in two.     Not by choice but was sort of drafted into them.   The hole placements are incredibly ridiculous and the idea of scrambles usually leads to significant cheating.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I played in a tournament at my club last Halloween and one of the holes had a 12” cup. It was my first time seeing it and I was thinking “Why? What’s the point if everyone is going to hole it?”  I missed it...

7 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

I played in a tournament at my club last Halloween and one of the holes had a 12” cup. It was my first time seeing it and I was thinking “Why? What’s the point if everyone is going to hole it?”  I missed it...

We 3 putted one hole last year.   People were putting to the fringe to hold the putt and then putting from there to get away with 2 putts.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Played in 1 tournament, a scramble event, and they had the 12" hole on holes 9 and 18.  My comment "if golf were to go this way in the future, I QUIT!"

Maybe for young kids event or something like that but sooner or later you need to progress to playing real golf.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• iacas changed the title to Do You Like "Big Hole" Tournaments?

I've played them in the green keepers revenge tournament before, they are fine in that instance.  Usually on some ridiculous slope so that you need the larger cup to have a chance to make it.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator

I think it's fun. You get to take runs at every hole because every chip shot becomes much easier, and even if not that, you get to take a run at the resulting putt. It's fun to push it to the limit sometimes in order to see how low you can go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A question for anyone has played with the big hole:

One would assume that it's impossible to miss from 4 feet but my guess is that even from six feet a surprisingly high number of putts slide off exactly as if it were a normal sized cup. Is that the case?

2 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

A question for anyone has played with the big hole:

One would assume that it's impossible to miss from 4 feet but my guess is that even from six feet a surprisingly high number of putts slide off exactly as if it were a normal sized cup. Is that the case?

There are several kinds of "big hole tournaments". The 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch cups CAN be missed, but not usually from 4 feet. 10 feet can be sketchy. 

Then there are big hole tournaments in which the hole is basically the size of a garbage can. (Sometimes called foot golf) These are difficult to miss from anywhere on or even just off the green. You just hit it almost as hard as you can. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just did a 4 man best shot with 8" cup just this last Sunday. 

They tend to put the cup in the worst place on the green and it's not as easy as you might think to hit from 8ft and out.....

24 teams and we came in tied for last with a 66 on a par 72 course.....  top 3 teams tied for 1st with a 53.

Just a nice day and fun to be out swinging a club with friends...

My best shot of the day for me on 16 - par 5...…. shot number 3 was 127 yds out from the pin...… hit it just right and the ball hit the pin and landed about 3 inches outside the hole.....  twice that's happened this year...… 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

never played in one though I've seen the big cups on greens before

Offhand, I can think of a dozen reasons why I'd hate it.  more power to those that it doesn't annoy I suppose

Bill - 

• 1 month later...

I've heard of them, but never saw one advertised around here. For me, a regular "scramble" is usually odd enough, but it might be fun. I'm usually a pretty good chipper. so running them at an oversized hole might seem easy. Then it might not be, and then I'd really feel like crap!

On 10/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, IowaGreg said:

Just did a 4 man best shot with 8" cup just this last Sunday. 

They tend to put the cup in the worst place on the green and it's not as easy as you might think to hit from 8ft and out.....

24 teams and we came in tied for last with a 66 on a par 72 course.....  top 3 teams tied for 1st with a 53.

Just a nice day and fun to be out swinging a club with friends...

My best shot of the day for me on 16 - par 5...…. shot number 3 was 127 yds out from the pin...… hit it just right and the ball hit the pin and landed about 3 inches outside the hole.....  twice that's happened this year...… 

I know I missed this a few months ago but still had to comment...

You have to qualify as the worst four-man scramble team in the history of golf. Six under in a big cup tournament, and your best second-shot on a par five was still 127 yards out?    😱    

:-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

You have to qualify as the worst four-man scramble team in the history of golf.

Nope - we were not last place !!!!!! 

Ok - I have an Idea...…  Adopt me, move me to Orlando and i'll let you teach me so I can get my Senior Tour card !!!!!

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!