Vinsk

Back Injury, Out for Awhile…

65 posts / 2750 viewsLast Reply

Well Friday night I guess I thought I was 13 again. Messing around with my 13 year old and his new BMX bike ( Cult Gateway), in my overzealous, invincible and inner youth I decided to show him how to do a proper manual with a 360* bar spin.

Did I factor in the fact that not only am I exponentially stronger than that inner 13 year old...I’m significantly heavier as well? Of course not!  Off I went, sailing from the bike and landing flat...on...my...back. I heard a disastrous crunch as I knocked the wind clear outta me. You can imagine as a doctor all the damage I internally began to process.

Luckily no neurological symptoms, no radiculopathy apparently. I was able to drive us home. I’ve since gone to my clinic to check for rib/vertebrae fractures. Rib fractures can be difficult to see but the radiologist and I agreed none were obvious.

Unfortunately the spasms I’m getting are almost unbearable. I’m taking a strong NSAID and a muscle relaxant to no avail. May have to get a CT/MRI if no improvement. I’m certain I tore somerhing. Probably a posterior intercostal tissue.

Anyway, damn shame. So no golf for awhile. Just brutal.😖

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well Friday night I guess I thought I was 13 again. Messing around with my 13 year old and his new BMX bike ( Cult Gateway), in my overzealous, invincible and inner youth I decided to show him how to do a proper manual with a 360* bar spin.

Did I factor in the fact that not only am I exponentially stronger than that inner 13 year old...I’m significantly heavier as well? Of course not!  Off I went, sailing from the bike and landing flat...on...my...back. I heard a disastrous crunch as I knocked the wind clear outta me. You can imagine as a doctor all the damage I internally began to process.

Luckily no neurological symptoms, no radiculopathy apparently. I was able to drive us home. I’ve since gone to my clinic to check for rib/vertebrae fractures. Rib fractures can be difficult to see but the radiologist and I agreed none were obvious.

Unfortunately the spasms I’m getting are almost unbearable. I’m taking a strong NSAID and a muscle relaxant to no avail. May have to get a CT/MRI if no improvement. I’m certain I tore somerhing. Probably a posterior intercostal tissue.

Get better soon my friend. 

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Misery loves company. Here I am. I haven't played golf since April nursing two partially torn tendons in my right elbow.  Nevertheless, I feel for you.

Thanks Scott. Yeah...talk about wanting to go back in time..such a dumb accident. I only have mild pain when relaxing. It’s the anticipation of a cough, hiccup, or even just a yawn that’s quite unsettling. Simple things like that trigger a horrible spasm. I think if I sneezed I would literally have to hold on to something.

Dang man that sucks. Sorry to hear hopefully the recover is as fast as it can be, and no long term lingering issues arise from it. 

48 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Get well soon, man.

Be well, and recover as needed. They say doctors make the worst patients. Prove them wrong.

Sorry to hear that @Vinsk.  I've had back spasms (thankfully not for a while) and they are no fun.  

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Dang man.  Get better soon bro!

Thank all of you for the best wishes. I’m hoping I see some improvement soon. Taking it very easy. I’ve never had back issues before and boy is it a lousy club to join. Alternating heat/ice therapy. It’s actually the cough, hiccups that are the worse. And laughing needs to avoided for sure ( I had that wonderful realization after reading @iacas shank comment..thanks for the jolt bro!...lol) Anyway, thanks again and I’ll try and post an update. 

Sunday night took a turn for the worse. Spasms became so bad I couldn’t even function. Couldn’t get to cell phone so spent and hour standing, holding on the kitchen counter waiting for the pain to subside. Ended up able to get to phone and call 911. It was a chore getting me out to the ambulance. Had to take nasally administered Versed just for me to able to get on stretcher. 
Still here on various pain meds and relaxants. MRI scheduled. I feel for all of you who have had back injuries. I’ve never had pain like it with these spasms. Can’t even so much as clear my throat without triggering a spasm. Morphine on board now so sorry if I’m rambling..not sure what I’m doing really....cheers guys.