iceman777

Prescription Golf Glasses

14 posts / 946 viewsLast Reply

I can't play with my regular distance glasses, as when I look down the lenses aren't big enough, so when Im looking down , the frame is too narrow. Any ideas on a good brand to use on the course,,sunglasses or regular? May a goggle type ? Thanks

Oakley Targetline with Prizm golf prescription lenses is what you need. The prizm golf lenses are not too dark so good in low light. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Oakley Targetline with Prizm golf prescription lenses is what you need. The prizm golf lenses are not too dark so good in low light. 

You can order Oakley with clear prescription lenses as well.  I’ve got Oakley Prizm sunglasses with the Turbine frames (prescription, but without bifocal lenses).

For clear lenses for golf, I use an inexpensive pair I ordered online from Zenni. (Also non-bifocal. I stepped up to the first tee today without switching from my bifocals. Took me about 10 seconds to figure out why things didn’t look right.)

31 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Are the non polarized prism glasses better for golf than polarized?

Absolutely. The prism lenses are tinted to bring out the contrast on the course. This helps a lot for seeing course features. I also use them mountain biking and they are great on shaded trails. The lenses are not real dark, so you can wear them putting and see green features.

Polarized lenses are better for glare situations like the beach or driving.

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Absolutely. The prism lenses are tinted to bring out the contrast on the course. This helps a lot for seeing course features. I also use them mountain biking and they are great on shaded trails. The lenses are not real dark, so you can wear them putting and see green features.

Polarized lenses are better for glare situations like the beach or driving.

Could be helpful if your home course has a lot of water on it, too.

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Could be helpful if your home course has a lot of water on it, too.

Light reflects off greenery, too. I like polarized lenses for playing golf.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Light reflects off greenery, too. I like polarized lenses for playing golf.

Me, too. Got some Maui Jims.

I went with single focal-length (distance) polarized lenses.

My first set was basic tinted which didn't always work well. I had times on cloudy, rainy days or early evening in summer when I had trouble seeing the last few holes. Polarized adjust, basic tint doesn't.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:59 PM, iceman777 said:

I can't play with my regular distance glasses, as when I look down the lenses aren't big enough, so when Im looking down , the frame is too narrow. Any ideas on a good brand to use on the course,,sunglasses or regular? May a goggle type ? Thanks

I'm still not completely understanding your problem. The frame is too narrow when looking down? To me, this means you are looking too close through the edge of your lenses, which can cause distortion. Why not just go back to your local optometrist and get a pair of deeper frames with distance scrip lenses in them? Explain your problem to them and see what they can do. Heck, when I got my first pair of "progressive" lenses, I wanted to keep my old frames because I loved them. The optometrist told me that those frames weren't really deep enough to fit in the progressions I needed to handle all of my vision needs. 

And believe me, I understand edge distortion! Some years back I was shooting a round of 3D archery at a local sportsmen's club. I came to a target of a deer, broadside at about 30 yards. The X ring (highest scoring ring), was all shot out and nothing but a big, black hole! I stepped to the stake, drew the bow, and couldn't see the big, black hole! HUH?! I let down and looked at the target straight on, and there was the black hole. Drew the bow again and it disappeared again! So, I started experimenting. In my normal stance, I looked at the target with my right eye through the extreme inner edge of the lens. Experimenting caused me to realize that doing that made things look narrow and tall, and caused some details to completely disappear! 

I had to modify my stance, so I could look through the peep, at the target more through the center of the lens. My shooting and scores improved immensely once I was able to manage that.