IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Correct, but how long before the Saudis get bored paying out big dollars to lower tier players? USFL was like that. Big sponsors may not help them, so they’re floating their own money.

I wouldn't worry about them running out of money. A few million here and there is nothing to them.

The more important question is how long it will take until bigger names start competing since they also want to get in on the money.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Zeph said:

I wouldn't worry about them running out of money. A few million here and there is nothing to them.

The more important question is how long it will take until bigger names start competing since they also want to get in on the money.

I’m not worried they’ll run out of money at all. I just think that if they don’t get top players to join the league, they will lose interest and move onto to something else.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The real question for players, especially top ones is, is it worth the extra money to give up a pretty lucrative deal with the PGA Tour that you know is going to be around a long time.   If the LIV falls apart, then Guppy Norman won't be footing any legal bills if the PGA Tour follows thru on a ban.

It's like having a straight flush and throwing in cards to try and get a royal flush.   Unless a fair number of big name players do it, it's shouldn't kick the PGA Tour to second class status or anything.

—Adam

• Administrator
3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I’m not worried they’ll run out of money at all. I just think that if they don’t get top players to join the league, they will lose interest and move onto to something else.

I don't think that's all that likely to happen. I think if they see some unknown Asian Tour guy winning millions, they'll jump ship.

3 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

The real question for players, especially top ones is, is it worth the extra money to give up a pretty lucrative deal with the PGA Tour that you know is going to be around a long time.   If the LIV falls apart, then Guppy Norman won't be footing any legal bills if the PGA Tour follows thru on a ban.

It's like having a straight flush and throwing in cards to try and get a royal flush.   Unless a fair number of big name players do it, it's shouldn't kick the PGA Tour to second class status or anything.

I don't think if the league folded the PGA Tour would not welcome Dustin Johnson or Bryson DeChambeau back (or whomever).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If a PGAT card holder, say Jason Kokrak, requests exemption from PGAT to play in opposite field event, and sues PGAT and a court rules that the PGAT handbook rules are unenforceable, can the PGAT survive at all?  Why do we assume that the rule that would be unenforceable is the ban?  Why would expect that the 15 event rule would be enforceable, or the gambling rule? If the PGAT, along with European Tour, collapses, is there a feeder tour for the Saudis?  Maybe the Asian Tour? 

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

The real question should be, IMO, is whether you sell your soul and hop into bed with some of the worse human rights abusers in the world to make a lot of money.  When you are already making a huge amount of money.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It is interesting. But he doesn’t have a snowball’s  chance in hell to compete. Gonna be a great Masters with all that young talent out there. I’m not gonna miss him.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 weeks later...
GettyImages-1390073566.jpg?quality=75&st

Gary Player made a controversial wardrobe decision at the Masters. Player, 86, was spotted on...

As if I needed more reasons to dislike Player. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

6 hours ago, phillyk said:
GettyImages-1390073566.jpg?quality=75&st

Gary Player made a controversial wardrobe decision at the Masters. Player, 86, was spotted on...

As if I needed more reasons to dislike Player. 

They should not invite him back. His son is banned from a similar stunt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That’s right his son a non player banned for life for hawking some golf ball with his dads name on it. Bye bye. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

That’s just sad. Is he that short on money?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

2022-04-09T222506Z_651997928_UP1EI491Q9S

Saudi golf league rumour: Greg Norman's LIV Golf Invitational Series has reportedly recruited two former World...

I don’t really understand the angle here. I mean, Westwood, Kaymer, Donald, Stenson? These aren’t really show stopper names anymore. I’m going to watch a tournament because Kaymer and Donald are playing?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Most likely not Stenson since he is the Euro Ryder Cup captain. Most likely Westwood as he probably would rather the cash than be a captain and Donald has been last his potential for years. Donald has most likely missed out on Ryder Cup captain. I don’t see Rose going. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t really understand the angle here. I mean, Westwood, Kaymer, Donald, Stenson? These aren’t really show stopper names anymore. I’m going to watch a tournament because Kaymer and Donald are playing?

I think the angle is just trying to get money into someone's hands at this point. You hope that PGA Tour players see someone who is a worse golfer getting $4 million for winning and wonder why they aren't getting $4 million for winning a tournament.

I don't know that it will work, but I think that's what they're trying to do.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I think the angle is just trying to get money into someone's hands at this point. You hope that PGA Tour players see someone who is a worse golfer getting $4 million for winning and wonder why they aren't getting $4 million for winning a tournament.

I don't know that it will work, but I think that's what they're trying to do.

Yeah I get that. But wasn’t more money known to be the driving force from the get go? Eventually this tour will have to draw interest. They have a lot of money but it won’t last forever if people aren’t watching. And the likes of Westwood, Kaymer, Donald aren’t gonna draw much attention I’d think.