IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

6 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Another broken middle-aged one solidifying retirement 

I suspect the response from many of these guys would be similar to that reportedly by Liberace: “Your cruel remarks made me so unhappy I cried all the way to the bank.”

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I suspect the response from many of these guys would be similar to that reportedly by Liberace: “Your cruel remarks made me so unhappy I cried all the way to the bank.”

even in this case, it doesn’t work — Liberace was still making music that meant something to millions of people 

I have never wanted something to fail more in sports than I do this LIV thing. It’s made me way angrier than I expected.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

3 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I have never wanted something to fail more in sports than I do this LIV thing. It’s made me way angrier than I expected.

I keep seeing people say majority of golfers are in favor of LIV. I don’t know. So hard to gauge. 

The thing I hate the most about all this is how much it has split golfers apart. 

I know of several people that went to OR and loved it. Right now it’s splitting the golfers between those with names and those with games. We’ll see what happens next. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Just now, phillyk said:

I keep seeing people say majority of golfers are in favor of LIV. I don’t know. So hard to gauge. 

The thing I hate the most about all this is how much it has split golfers apart. 

I know of several people that went to OR and loved it. Right now it’s splitting the golfers between those with names and those with games. We’ll see what happens next. 

I never had a big argument with any of my golfer buddies over it. 

I would say the small majority is the people who think the PGA tour is bad and the players should be doing this. I think the rest of the people are split on indifference or not liking these golfers ditching the PGA Tour. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

I’m in the weird position of rooting for the Tour, which has mostly done a shitty job of putting on interesting golf tournaments, because the alternative is an uncompetitive welfare package for rich and coddled athletes, paid for by a foreign government. No matter which side wins, golf probably doesn’t get better. Best case scenario the tour becomes less of a meritocracy, which does not thrill me.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Just now, jbishop15 said:

I’m in the weird position of rooting for the Tour, which has mostly done a shitty job of putting on interesting golf tournaments, because the alternative is an uncompetitive welfare package for rich and coddled athletes, paid for by a foreign government. No matter which side wins, golf probably doesn’t get better. Best case scenario the tour becomes less of a meritocracy, which does not thrill me.

I think there is plenty of room for them to organize the PGA Tour in a way that maintains a requirement on performance while also being progressive in making sure that PGA tour players are being compensated for being the very best in the world. 

I mean, I think there should be a baseline on the PGA Tour that covers a lot more than 50K a year. If you consider expenses they have, the true meritocracy does not make sense when you consider that even the bottom end players on the PGA Tour are in the top 1% of all golfers. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, weberd27 said:

I do understand that three of the majors are not run by the PGA tour, but the PGA championship is run by the PGA of America.  It was my understanding that anyone suspended would have issue with being a PGA of America member (which they get through the tour) unless they join through other means.

You don't have to be a PGA of America member to play in the PGA Championship.

7 hours ago, turtleback said:

Repeating your "point" doesn't improve it.  MY point is that he didn't take a big bunch of money from some of the worst people on the planet as a bribe to try to make themselves seem less horrible than they actually are.

Thank you.

Also…

1656738378812.jpeg

LIV Golf is about cold, hard cash, but the details around all the money are shadowy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think there is plenty of room for them to organize the PGA Tour in a way that maintains a requirement on performance while also being progressive in making sure that PGA tour players are being compensated for being the very best in the world. 

I mean, I think there should be a baseline on the PGA Tour that covers a lot more than 50K a year. If you consider expenses they have, the true meritocracy does not make sense when you consider that even the bottom end players on the PGA Tour are in the top 1% of all golfers. 

It would seem logical to me that the tour could provide travel and lodging for players and caddies at least each tournament, so that if they miss a cut at the bare minimum they're not losing money for going to work.

But beyond that, one of my favorite things about the PGA Tour is literally watching people play for their livelihood....playing to keep their tour card for the following season.  And I fully get why that is significantly more appealing to me as a fan than to the guy playing, but i don't want to lose that aspect.  I think the changes that will be implemented in 2024 will strike a good balance of keeping this meritocracy and rewarding the players at the top, but wouldn't kill them to throw in some travel expenses for the guys in the field either.

-Eric

5 hours ago, The Flush said:

This might be my favorite thing Brandel Chamblee has ever said.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

What it exactly was the reason they paid Mickelson so much to play for? I mean, he’s embarrassing himself out there. Kinda hard to announce how electrifying the field is as they pan to one of their highest paid players putting for double bogey, again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

32 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What it exactly was the reason they paid Mickelson so much to play for? I mean, he’s embarrassing himself out there.

I am not sure I agree with this assessment of Phil Mickelson as someone still capable of feeling embarrassment on the public stage. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What it exactly was the reason they paid Mickelson so much to play for? I mean, he’s embarrassing himself out there. Kinda hard to announce how electrifying the field is as they pan to one of their highest paid players putting for double bogey, again.

They were more concerned with the name than the golfer. 

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Talor Gooch after his team won the team portion of the LIV tournament.  🙄

“I haven’t played a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, but I can’t imagine there’s a whole hell of a lot of difference,” Gooch said in a post-match interview. “This was as cool as it gets. We’ve been saying it all week. The energy is just different, it’s awesome.”

-Eric

1 hour ago, Friz said:

Talor Gooch after his team won the team portion of the LIV tournament.  🙄

“I haven’t played a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, but I can’t imagine there’s a whole hell of a lot of difference,” Gooch said in a post-match interview. “This was as cool as it gets. We’ve been saying it all week. The energy is just different, it’s awesome.”

Was he reading that from a Teleprompter?

I haven't been around here at all since this story all broke, but, I'm genuinely curious.

Anyone here gain respect, or, a ton of respect, for Tiger, for not selling his soul for upwards up 750 million dollars to become- essentially- a whore of the Saudis?

I mean, all over the hill/washed up and/or perpetually injured golfers, no cut, 54 holes, disgusting prize pools. For someone who will likely never be able to win on the PGA Tour again.....what could possibly more advantageous to him, from an opportunity and financial standpoint?

But, hey, apparently, he's fundamentally different and a better person than the other 17 guys (and, Mickelson).

Who knew?