IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

This is the part that baffles me the most.  I just don't get it.

Never underestimate the power of greed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

Nobody gets bribed to buy things on Amazon that happen to be made by China.  Nobody buys things on Amazon to make SA, China, or Russia look better.  But this is exactly what the LIV golfers are doing.  They know exactly what LIV's goals are and they don't care because they've been bribed.  When you allow yourself to be bribed by some of the worst people on the planet, your complicity makes you also one of the worst people on the planet.  Especially when you have already made more money on golf that you could legitimately spend in a lifetime.  Looking at you, Phil and Dustin.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

This is the part that baffles me the most.  I just don't get it.

Money is like golf balls and sex, you can never have enough.   That said, you eventually get tired and/or run out of room in your garage.

—Adam

On 7/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, chriskzoo said:

PGA Tour Title sponsors do $40-50B in business with Saudi Arabia.

False Equivalence for a $1000, Alex.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, chriskzoo said:

The fans who say this will never be in a position to take the money, so it's easy to say.  You're talking GENERATIONAL wealth - you'd take it.

There are players who aren't taking it. You know, guys who have been actually offered. Also, I wouldn't. Particularly not if I was in their position, where I already was exceptionally wealthy. I do understand some players taking a measured stance, because they don't know where this is going, and it may literally be the only place where they can compete at a top level several years from now, but please. If you're not a monster, there are plenty of things that you would pass on for generational wealth. 

Edited by Aguirre
  • Like 3

"Witty golf quote."

On 7/18/2022 at 4:17 PM, Friz said:

oh my god....please stop.  if you can't understand the difference between a company who does a small portion of their business in the Middle East being 1 out of 8 sponsors of the British Open, and the actual government of Saudi Arabia single-handedly financing and operating the entire LIV operation, there isn't much conversation to be had

This is it. This is all of it. 

"Witty golf quote."

12 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Money is like golf balls and sex, you can never have enough.

Yah but to draw an equivalence, they're declaring it's an open marriage without consent and going over get it from someone who has Chlamydia. And there's still plenty clean stuff available at home. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Funny 4

Vishal S.

54 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yah but to draw an equivalence, they're declaring it's an open marriage without consent and going over get it from someone who has Chlamydia. And there's still plenty clean stuff available at home. 

And the next morning you have to roll over and see Greg Norman putting money on the dresser….

• Funny 5

—Adam

1 minute ago, imsys0042 said:

And the next morning you have to roll over and see Greg Norman putting money on the dresser….

giphy.gif.25942c2e23b3c065aacdbf1122d1e14e.gif

• Funny 4

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 hours ago, Aguirre said:

If you're not a monster, there are plenty of things that you would pass on for generational wealth. 

^See I think this is the punch line. Folks in support of LIV seem to be missing it altogether, either intentionally or unintentionally.  

Anyone can logic away a need no matter how tone deaf (Yah I gotta Lambo and Ferrari, but I don't got thems in yellow and that killer blue). Myopia afflicts people of all kinds and wealth levels.

You would expect the uber wealthy to be able to afford a bigger view but, we are obviously coming up empty in so many cases. If in their minds the means have no filter then we will never get them on the same page. They will always throw the "you're not in my shoes" - no further justification owed. It is terribly maddening. 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

So with the Stenson announcement now official, he has officially been removed as Europe's Ryder Cup captain.  Gotta ask the question....does LIV see Henrik Stenson as a big name to bring in, one who at his current performance level will raise the bar for the entire league?  Someone fans will be lining up to see, will grow their brand, and make their product better?

Or did they simply want to take a swing at the Ryder Cup?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0823%2Fr587662_1

Henrik Stenson will no longer serve as Europe's Ryder Cup captain, with sources confirming to ESPN that he is preparing to join LIV Golf.

-Eric

11 minutes ago, Friz said:

So with the Stenson announcement now official, he has officially been removed as Europe's Ryder Cup captain.  Gotta ask the question....does LIV see Henrik Stenson as a big name to bring in, one who at his current performance level will raise the bar for the entire league?  Someone fans will be lining up to see, will grow their brand, and make their product better?

Henrik Stenson will no longer serve as Europe's Ryder Cup captain, with sources confirming to ESPN that he is preparing to join LIV Golf.

It's a swing at the Ryder Cup.   LIV are active disruptors and Norman's vendetta against the golf world not kissing his ass for his world tour is really showing.

—Adam

1 hour ago, Friz said:

He’s another classic LIV player. Beyond competitive point on the PGA Tour. He’s what , #203? He made just over 200k last year and less than 200k this year I think. He’s far from even keeping his card no? There have been some moderate jolts, but mostly these players are hardly a force on the PGA Tour.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

It's a swing at the Ryder Cup.   LIV are active disruptors and Norman's vendetta against the golf world not kissing his ass for his world tour is really showing.

I’ve been thinking something similar for a while now.

Hypothesis: LIV wasn’t designed to create something new. It’s only a tool to destroy something else.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He’s another classic LIV player. Beyond competitive point on the PGA Tour. He’s what , #203? He made just over 200k last year and less than 200k this year I think. He’s far from even keeping his card no? There have been some moderate jolts, but mostly these players are hardly a force on the PGA Tour.

He does fit the mold, but thats kind of my point.  They're not reaching out to bring in someone who is going to move the needle a ton, it seems like they're reaching out to bring in the guy who will disrupt the other side the most.  They already have plenty of guys like Stenson, they have already replaced guys higher in the OWGR.  Unless they are completely trying to say "look how many former major winners we have" Stenson isn't adding a whole lot.

It feels like a calculated move to either force a hand in letting LIV guys into the Ryder Cup, or disrupt it as much as possible

-Eric

19 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Hypothesis: LIV wasn’t designed to create something new. It’s only a tool to destroy something else.

The Saudi Sovereign Fund's agenda is to sports wash and make themselves look good.   Norman is the one who is trying to tear things down.   His bitterness at the PGA Tour especially is probably driving him to burn down the house.

—Adam

4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I’ve been thinking something similar for a while now.

Collateral damage really. The sole purpose of LIV Golf is to make Saudi Arabia look more friendly to investors and tourists. They want to follow Dubai and the UAE, a neighboring country that is doing a better job than them of diversifying their economy away from just fossil fuels.

Qatar is doing the same thing with the World Cup. Dude Perfect just dropped arguably their worst video of all time sportswashing for them. I wonder what they got paid?

These monarchies realize that fossil fuels won't be the dominant energy source forever. I'm sure Russia, another petrostate, will launch a similar PR campaign once the Ukraine War is over. And it won't be surprising how quickly some people forget. 

Constantine

35 minutes ago, Friz said:

He does fit the mold, but thats kind of my point.  They're not reaching out to bring in someone who is going to move the needle a ton, it seems like they're reaching out to bring in the guy who will disrupt the other side the most.  They already have plenty of guys like Stenson, they have already replaced guys higher in the OWGR.  Unless they are completely trying to say "look how many former major winners we have" Stenson isn't adding a whole lot.

It feels like a calculated move to either force a hand in letting LIV guys into the Ryder Cup, or disrupt it as much as possible

Well, I just think our RC team is going to be ridiculously strong. Losing Stenson as a captain doesn’t do anything imo. I think the RC will happen without an worry about this LIV nonsense.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It is time for new Ryder Cup heroes. The old guard is done. Young and talented players. Should make the captains picks easier now that they won’t have to choose names who are past their prime. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

About time too. I don’t think they should keep the old farts just because they have played the RC for decades. Let some new guys in, give them a chance.

According to Gooch, LIV teams experience is probably like the RC, so Stenson will be fine. No worries about dropping a lifelong dream for some dough.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1