IGNORED

21 Degree Club for Single-Digit Handicappers

Note:Β This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

which 21 degree club (20-22deg iron or hybrid) do TST single-digit handicappers use?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which 21 degree club (20-22deg iron or hybrid) do TST single-digit handicappers use?

• 20-22 degree Iron (3 or 4 depending on set)
    • 20-22 degree Hybrid
    • Both
    • Neither

Which 21 degree club (20-22deg iron or hybrid) do TST single-digit handicappers use?Β 

Iron? (3 or 4 depending on set)Β 

Hybrid?Β 

Both? (presumably for different course conditions and/or shots requiring different trajectories and/or rollout/lack thereof)

Neither?Β  (includes those few single-digit handicappers using a 7 wood, or those simply with no hybrid or low iron in the bag)

Edited by albatrosser

What has it got to do with being a "single digit" handicapper? I am sure I could introduce you to 20 markers who are better than what you call a "single digit" handicapper.

Different players use different clubs that suit them. Handicap is irrelevant.

A 21 degree club used by a 30 marker mightΒ be perfect for a genuine 8 marker. It all depends.

Vijay Singh used a 7 wood. Some 25 handicappers woul laugh at a 27 handicapper using one. Because they are ignorant.

You seem to have a peculiar focus on low handicaps with regard to an unrelated topic.Β My experience is that a genuine 3 handicapper is not asking such a vague question to people he's never met or seen hit a golf ball. :-)

I'd be using what suited YOU, not what others use based on their (often mythical) handicaps.

Β 

Β 

Edited by leftybutnotPM

I carry 19Β° and 21Β° hybrids. Β  I hit them higher,Β further, and more accurately than the equivalent irons.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a high single digit to low double digit handicapper.Β  I use a 22* 4 hybrid.Β  I have put the 3 and 4 irons to pasture because my clubhead speed has declined enoughΒ that hitting them isn't worthwhile

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I have a 3 and a 4 iron. Don’t know what the lifts are off the top of my head though.Β 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Not single digit here so I am not participating in the poll, but I have a 19 degree hybrid and bag the 3 iron from my set which is 23 degree. I actually hit the 3 iron pretty good on full shots (190 carry) and it's my go to for punch shots.Β 

• :titleist:Β 917 D2 9.5oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β :titleist:Β 917 F2Β 15oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β 
  • :titleist:Β 818 H2 19oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ 
  • :titleist:Β 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey:Β 52/8oΒ SM6 RAWΒ  Β  56/14oΒ SM6 ChromeΒ  Β  Β  60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell:Β MTB-Black Balls

I am not single digit handicapper. My lowest lofted iron is my 6 iron. I have a Β 23 and 20 degree hybrid.Β 
Β 

Β 

Β Β :sunmountain:Β eco lite stand Bag
:tmade:Β Sim 2 Max driver
Β :callaway:Β MavrickΒ 20 * hybrid
:tmade:Β M2 3HLΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  :mizuno:Β JPX 923 5-gwΒ Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

Β Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

From a pro I took lessons from.Β  Obviously these are guidelines, not hard and fast rules but I thought they were pretty good when I saw them.

Hybrid/Long Iron Guidelines:

If you hit a 7 iron 140 yards or less, then a 6 iron should be the longest iron in your set. The 3,4,& 5 should be hybrids.

If you hit your 7 iron 150-160 yards, consider nothing longer that a 5 iron , 3 & 4 should be hybrids

If you can hit your 7 iron 170 yards, nothing longer than a 4 iron, 3 should be a hybrid

If you can hit your 7 iron more than 170 yards; you can use any set make up you choose.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

On 2/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, gbogey said:

From a pro I took lessons from.Β  Obviously these are guidelines, not hard and fast rules but I thought they were pretty good when I saw them.

If you hit a 7 iron 140 yards or less, then a 6 iron should be the longest iron in your set. The 3,4,& 5 should be hybrids.

If you hit your 7 iron 150-160 yards, consider nothing longer that a 5 iron , 3 & 4 should be hybrids

If you can hit your 7 iron 170 yards, nothing longer than a 4 iron, 3 should be a hybrid

If you can hit your 7 iron more than 170 yards; you can use any set make up you choose.

And if you can hit your 7 iron 185+ you should be on tour or in a side show at the circus...

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, gbogey said:

That seems reasonable to me. My 7 iron is a 160 club. I carry 9-5 in "traditional" irons. I carry a 3 and a 4 hybrid. 19.5 and 22.5 degree respectively.Β 

BTW - I had to answer neither in the poll. As I carry a 19.5 degree and 22.5 degree hybrid. So I have nothing that fits the 20-22 degree description in the poll.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

• iacas changed the title to 21 Degree Club for Single-Digit Handicappers
1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Hybrids don’t work for me with the flatter lie angle...hook machine. Β 3/4 iron is money for me.

You mean upright?Β  A flatter lie points the face more to the right.Β  There are hybrids out there that aren't "hook machines."Β 

I used to feel the same about hybrids, but it was really me just hooding the face during my takeaway, instead of squaring it up/letting the toe up.Β  I got away with it with irons because the more loft on the club, the less hook spin seems to negatively affect it.Β  Once loft really comes off the club, excessive draw spin is disastrous.Β  For instance, up to about 1k of draw spin up to about 6i is playable, although not ideal.Β  Once you get into the longer clubs, the draw spin needs to drop at least in half to keep a nice neutral flight that won't dip out of the air.

59 year old POSER here with a current 7.5 cap.

Have used a 19^ & 22* hybrids for years...I was never a good long iron player even in my youth....currently using Cally X Hot hybrids I bought used for $27 & $30.....love them.

Bought a matchingΒ used 25* hybrid in the spring of 2019...it was magical for 3 months....and then all the mojo left....bought a mint used set ofΒ Rocketbladz Tour irons in Nov 2019......I like the 5 iron and took the 25* hybrid out...the ebbs and flows of the game.....a kinda club ho'ing experiment many of us suffer to find those unicorns that can stay in our bags for over 12-18 months.

Everyone is an individual....some LUV hybrids...some HATE hybrids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

You mean upright?Β  A flatter lie points the face more to the right.Β  There are hybrids out there that aren't "hook machines."Β 

I used to feel the same about hybrids, but it was really me just hooding the face during my takeaway, instead of squaring it up/letting the toe up.Β  I got away with it with irons because the more loft on the club, the less hook spin seems to negatively affect it.Β  Once loft really comes off the club, excessive draw spin is disastrous.Β  For instance, up to about 1k of draw spin up to about 6i is playable, although not ideal.Β  Once you get into the longer clubs, the draw spin needs to drop at least in half to keep a nice neutral flight that won't dip out of the air.

Yup, my bad, I meant upright!

I use a 3 Hybrid (19 deg) and a 4 Hybrid (22 deg); both Taylormade RbzΒ stage 2.Β  Love them.Β  Reason for switching from my irons was to get the ball to land softly on greens; didn't get enough height with the 3-4 irons deployingΒ my swing speed.

Edited by MGN

Driver:Β Taylormade M3Β (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.Β  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o)Β with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H:Β Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.Β  4H: 22oΒ  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.Β  Wedges: 50oΒ degΒ Titleist SM-7 12oΒ bounce F grind, 56oΒ (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!