IGNORED

It Still Astounds Me How Close Gallery Is to Ball Trajectory

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Case in point, Honda Classic, yesterday or today. I get these guys are good, but still. And this stinger clipped that tree, who knows where that landed.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 2.53.44 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree.   It scares me to see the fans standing down the line by the tee box.   I guess they have so much confidence in the golfer that they believe they are invincible.   Me...I'll never put myself in line with any golf shot regardless of the golfer.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Always stand directly in front of a 27 handicapper...it’s the safest place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

They are good, but even they shank at times.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Prediction at 08:26 on 29 Feb 2020. Someone is going to get beaned, will try to sue, will win, and the PGA Tour will be forced to enforce buffer zones of some sort. It will happen one day. Something similar has happened in baseball with the expansion of backstop netting down the sides to prevent a foul ball or flying bat beaning someone. The normal guy knows that a golf ball flying at 100 plus mph is going to hurt if it hits me, let me get out of the line of fire. You take a risk standing downrange of a golf ball, just like sitting down the 1st or 3rd base line. But there are those that don't see it that way and will make the aforementioned prediction come true. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

47 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Prediction at 08:26 on 29 Feb 2020. Someone is going to get beaned, will try to sue, will win, and the PGA Tour will be forced to enforce buffer zones of some sort. It will happen one day. Something similar has happened in baseball with the expansion of backstop netting down the sides to prevent a foul ball or flying bat beaning someone. The normal guy knows that a golf ball flying at 100 plus mph is going to hurt if it hits me, let me get out of the line of fire. You take a risk standing downrange of a golf ball, just like sitting down the 1st or 3rd base line. But there are those that don't see it that way and will make the aforementioned prediction come true. 

Are you implying that lawsuits are the reason baseball stadiums expanded protective netting? I was under the impression that the Baseball Rule pretty much covers most cases and that individual team owners and MLB took it upon themselves to expand the netting for fan safety.

The Baseball Rule covers other sports, too, including golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

They are good, but even they shank at times.

3159CD06-935E-424A-8799-BE4200B4192E.gif.11bfec5720b89fdfba7678cbc2ca3222.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Are you implying that lawsuits are the reason baseball stadiums expanded protective netting? I was under the impression that the Baseball Rule pretty much covers most cases and that individual team owners and MLB took it upon themselves to expand the netting for fan safety.

The Baseball Rule covers other sports, too, including golf.

They took it upon themselves to do something out of fan safety or the threat of a lawsuit? No MLB owner is going to tell you they did it out of threat of a potential lawsuit, its all about the fans. I'm just saying in this day of sue everyone for everything, somewhere down the road it will eventually happen. Now, whether not it leads to the Tour doing anything thats a different story. The "assuming the risk of attending a potentially hazardous sporting event" clause will be a useless defense to the right lawyer.   

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

26 minutes ago, snapfade said:

They took it upon themselves to do something out of fan safety or the threat of a lawsuit? No MLB owner is going to tell you they did it out of threat of a potential lawsuit, its all about the fans.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/us/houston-astros-young-child-brain-injury-foul-ball-spt-trnd/index.html

This one was recent and prompted the Astros to extend their protective netting. The family has not sued and as of now has no plans to.

baseball_injured_fans_149325408.jpg?qual

The brave 2-year-old girl struck in the face by a 105-mph line drive at Yankee Stadium in September can remember...

I remember this one as a Yankees fan and the team covered her medical expenses and extended the netting during the off-season beyond the requirements of MLB at the time. The father of the girl is a lawyer and he has not sued the team or MLB.

MLB has updated the requirements for protective netting for this year. I’m not aware of any legal obligation for them to do so. If we’re going to be cynical and say that these organizations only do things because they’re afraid of paying out money in a lawsuit, I’m going to counter that it probably costs them more money to build and maintain new netting than it does to just pay injured parties when these events occur.

47 minutes ago, snapfade said:

The "assuming the risk of attending a potentially hazardous sporting event" clause will be a useless defense to the right lawyer.

It’s case law in most states and an actual statute in a few.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 2/28/2020 at 6:39 PM, Vinsk said:

Always stand directly in front of a 27 handicapper...it’s the safest place.

Reminds me of a round way back in the day when everybody walked, and you were supposed to wave the following group up, and then putt out while they walked to the green. We marked our balls and did just that. The first couple of tee shots from the following group had some of us running for cover! I said maybe we should cluster around the flagstick, as that was probably the safest place. Turns out it was! 

5 hours ago, snapfade said:

They took it upon themselves to do something out of fan safety or the threat of a lawsuit? No MLB owner is going to tell you they did it out of threat of a potential lawsuit, its all about the fans. I'm just saying in this day of sue everyone for everything, somewhere down the road it will eventually happen. Now, whether not it leads to the Tour doing anything thats a different story. The "assuming the risk of attending a potentially hazardous sporting event" clause will be a useless defense to the right lawyer.   

Well, it's been in effect a long time, and worked so far.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, snapfade said:

People get "beaned" all the time. Many of the think a signed glove is cool recompense.

The tickets would clearly outline that golf is a potentially dangerous spectator sport and the legal ramifications of that. (Which I'm sure mean nothing really)

The main thing though, is that the spectators have nowhere to go.

If you had buffer zones you would probably have to reduce the gallery sizes by 60%

Edited by leftybutnotPM

42 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

People get "beaned" all the time. Many of the think a signed glove is cool recompense.

The tickets would clearly outline that golf is a potentially dangerous spectator sport and the legal ramifications of that. (Which I'm sure mean nothing really)

The main thing though, is that the spectators have nowhere to go.

If you had buffer zones you would probably have to reduce the gallery sizes by 60%

Its an easy fix. You install the type of netting that goes up when they kick a field goal. Its genius. it would only raise the ticket price a few hundred bucks. Or you can have rental shields like the one riot cops use with the little window you can see through. They can have the sponsor of the tournament on them so lots of air time with the logo everywhere. I think I'm onto something here Lefty, I tell you what, you put up 50K and I'll cut you in on the deal.

1 minute ago, snapfade said:

I think I'm onto something here Lefty, I tell you what, you put up 50K and I'll cut you in on the deal.

PM PayPal details ASAP. And your banking details and password.

2 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

PM PayPal details ASAP. And your banking details and password.

LMAO!

• Like 1

The photographers have been getting more and more pushy with their positioning. 

I noticed this on TV last night, when they were laying down in front of Hughes as he hit his wedge to 18 after taking a drop.  That seems a bit much.  Not so much from a danger perspective - who cares about these guys - but from a distraction perspective at a very critical moment during the match.  I'd have cleared all of those SOBs out of there.

spacer.png

Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!