IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Bonvivant said:

Sorry if I mischaracterized you, but I was under the impression that you thought that being at the pool hall and not heeding guidelines was your stance. Do you even try to maintain a distance from others? Previously it seemed as if you weren't making any effort. Obviously the 6 feet has to be broken for certain things like monetary transactions, but I can't think of too many other situations where you can't maintain your distance.

When the pool hall was open, I played there.  I didn’t lose my mind if the guy on the next table got within 6’ of me.  Nor did we sanitize the balls between racks if another player had touched them.

Irresponsible?  I don’t think so.  If you do, well, ok, whatever.  But the fact remains, I’ve followed all mandated guidelines and will continue to do so.  Even those that I consider silly.

By the way, I’m curious, for those so terrified of touching a flagstick, what precautions do they personally take to avoid touching other items that others have touched.  Like their mail, a gas nozzle, every door handle, or every grocery item that they buy, just to name a few.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, David in FL said:

When the pool hall was open, I played there.  I didn’t lose my mind if the guy on the next table got within 6’ of me.  Nor did we sanitize the balls between racks if another player had touched them.

Irresponsible?  I don’t think so.  If you do, well, ok, whatever.  But the fact remains, I’ve followed all mandated guidelines and will continue to do so.  Even those that I consider silly.

By the way, I’m curious, for those so terrified of touching a flagstick, what precautions do they personally take to avoid touching other items that others have touched.  Like their mail, a gas nozzle, every door handle, or every grocery item that they buy, just to name a few.

Thanks for clarifying. What normal people do is wash their hands thoroughly or sanitize after coming in contact with these places. If they cannot do so immediately, which I find hard to believe because most people have hand-sanitizer or a sink nearby, they avoid touching their faces. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Mail and groceries; I put disposable gloves on, stage them in the garage and don't touch them for four days.  Refrigerated items, spray down with bleach spray, let them sit for a few minutes and then wipe them down.  Fruit and vegetables I use a fruit and vegtable spray cleaner, for banana and oranges a bleach spray.  I throw away the gloves, and wash my hands after any of that

Gas nozzle, haven't done that yet, but will use disposable gloves, throw them in the trash by the pumps, use hand sanitizer.

My groceries are delivered and set on the porch.

I don't touch any door handles except my own, as I only go off my property to walk my dogs twice a day.  I don't get within 15 feet of anyone but my wife.

Five days like this so far.  I feel I may get all A's on all tests for the semester but still fail the course.

I hope the whole country doesn't get like California is now.  Everyone should just pretend everyone has the virus and act accordingly, imo.

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

By the way, I’m curious, for those so terrified of touching a flagstick, what precautions do they personally take to avoid touching other items that others have touched.

This is where you mischaracterize the rest of us David. We are not ‘terrified’, ‘paranoid’ or ‘hoarding’. We are taking the necessary precautions as recommended by our local, state and a federal authorities to protect the vulnerable population. It is not me I am worried about. It is those that have no immune defense and will die if they get this.

Your attitude has been cavalier, acting as if you are smarter than any of us including the CDC, doctors and scientists who are recommending these steps.

You remind me of people who thought wearing safety glasses, gloves and other PPE were for sissies. Or better yet, surgeons back in the 1800s who were appalled that someone suggested they wash their hands before surgery.

You have also been baiting and trolling in your posts to get others to lash out at you. Frankly, I am disappointed in these posts. For the most part, you are a valuable contributor to this forum and are very helpful to other golfers, including me. I wish you would take another approach in future posts. We are all trying to get through this.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Update. Cocoa Beach Country Club is alive and well. You now have the option of not using the rake in a bunker, not that anyone ever did before, but can use your foot to try to smooth it out. It is suggested to not touch the flag stick. All carts are being "thoroughly" disinfected after use, and you are being advised not to use any discarded broken tee's left on the ground. 

Anyone in the central Florida area whose course has closed and is looking for a nice inexpensive place to play during this crisis, look elsewhere, we don't need your kind over here. It's taken the virus to get rid of the Spring Breakers and the snowbirds, we don't need you Orange/ Osceola County folks coming over here messing things up.   😄 J/k

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
9 hours ago, David in FL said:

I didn’t lose my mind if the guy on the next table got within 6’ of me.  Nor did we sanitize the balls between racks if another player had touched them.

We didn't "lose our minds" either. We simply did what was safe, even if it went a little bit above any mandates. Why? Because we understand science, math, and so on. Because we care more about our fellow man than following the exact letter of the law, particularly in a state that's been well behind the curve in what they've mandated.

Irresponsible?  I don’t think so.

Yes, irresponsible.

But the fact remains, I’ve followed all mandated guidelines and will continue to do so.  Even those that I consider silly.

Big whoop. You've done what's legally required of you and nothing more.

By the way, I’m curious, for those so terrified of touching a flagstick,

I'll echo what @boogielicious said to you just above that you're grossly mischaracterizing the majority reaction to this. I'm not "terrified" of anything, but I'm also not stupid, let alone willfully so.

what precautions do they personally take to avoid touching other items that others have touched.  Like their mail, a gas nozzle, every door handle, or every grocery item that they buy, just to name a few.

Generally speaking, if you touch things like that, wash your hands before you touch your face, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Mail and groceries; I put disposable gloves on, stage them in the garage and don't touch them for four days.  Refrigerated items, spray down with bleach spray, let them sit for a few minutes and then wipe them down.  Fruit and vegetables I use a fruit and vegtable spray cleaner, for banana and oranges a bleach spray.  I throw away the gloves, and wash my hands after any of that

Gas nozzle, haven't done that yet, but will use disposable gloves, throw them in the trash by the pumps, use hand sanitizer.

My groceries are delivered and set on the porch.

I don't touch any door handles except my own, as I only go off my property to walk my dogs twice a day.  I don't get within 15 feet of anyone but my wife.

Five days like this so far.  I feel I may get all A's on all tests for the semester but still fail the course.

I hope the whole country doesn't get like California is now.  Everyone should just pretend everyone has the virus and act accordingly, imo.

Impressive.  You’re in the absolute lowest percentile.  All A’s for sure.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

This is where you mischaracterize the rest of us David. We are not ‘terrified’, ‘paranoid’ or ‘hoarding’. We are taking the necessary precautions as recommended by our local, state and a federal authorities to protect the vulnerable population. It is not me I am worried about. It is those that have no immune defense and will die if they get this.

Your attitude has been cavalier, acting as if you are smarter than any of us including the CDC, doctors and scientists who are recommending these steps.

You remind me of people who thought wearing safety glasses, gloves and other PPE were for sissies. Or better yet, surgeons back in the 1800s who were appalled that someone suggested they wash their hands before surgery.

You have also been baiting and trolling in your posts to get others to lash out at you. Frankly, I am disappointed in these posts. For the most part, you are a valuable contributor to this forum and are very helpful to other golfers, including me. I wish you would take another approach in future posts. We are all trying to get through this.

Because I have the temerity to disagree with you on some level, I’m baiting, trolling, and think I’m smarter than you?  I’ve also been far more respectful in my posts than many of those who’ve responded to me.  

Sorry, but on a discussion forum, that is disappointing.  

Regardless though, what’s actually relevant to this topic is that how far the changes affecting our golf have come in the only 11 days this topic has been active.  I’m just hoping that in another 11 days I’m still playing golf.  I’m not particularly hopeful though.  

In David's bag....

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Because I have the temerity to disagree with you on some level, I’m baiting, trolling, and think I’m smarter than you?

No, that's not why you're baiting and trolling. You baited and trolled because, while others were sharing the precautions they were taking, you were throwing stuff in our faces about how you were disobeying all the recommendations. You implied that you thought everyone else was massively overreacting. Even with your recent posts you've used words like "terrified" and so on - that's why you've been baiting and trolling.

18 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Sorry, but on a discussion forum, that is disappointing.

Your lack of regard for others, for science, for math, etc. has been disappointing. Your actions directly put others at risk.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Personally I am terrified of gas nozzles. I am using a paper towel these days.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to stop smoking while I'm pumping.  (I couldn't find a parable emoji)

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, that's not why you're baiting and trolling. You baited and trolled because, while others were sharing the precautions they were taking, you were throwing stuff in our faces about how you were disobeying all the recommendations. You implied that you thought everyone else was massively overreacting. Even with your recent posts you've used words like "terrified" and so on - that's why you've been baiting and trolling.

Your lack of regard for others, for science, for math, etc. has been disappointing. Your actions directly put others at risk.

My math skills are just fine.  I use them every day as I lose sleep over the economic impact to the 1200 families of those that I’ve had to lay off over the past 2 weeks.  

Now we’ve gotten to the point that if “all you do is follow the mandated guidelines, you’re not doing as much as you could be doing, so you’re putting others at risk”.  

And yes, a lot of people are “terrified” as a result and many are overreacting.  That’s not trolling.  It simply happens.  It happens down here every time a hurricane approaches too.  That doesn’t mean that there aren’t prudent measures to be taken.  But neither does it mean that just because I choose to drive out of state 5 days before the storm is due to arrive, you’re irresponsible if you wait to see if a mandatory evacuation is implemented.

Regardless.  I’ll move on to other topics now, and like everyone, I hope we get back to some semblance of normalcy as soon as possible.  

In David's bag....

• Administrator

My math skills are just fine.

If that's true, then you've been ignoring them.

Now we’ve gotten to the point that if “all you do is follow the mandated guidelines, you’re not doing as much as you could be doing, so you’re putting others at risk”.

We've been at that point the whole time you've been posting about hanging out in pool halls eating and being inches from others. Particularly in Florida, which has been well behind the curve in making some mandates, despite the older population.

And yes, a lot of people are “terrified” as a result and many are overreacting.  That’s not trolling.

It is to characterize the people here in this topic as terrified when they've given no such indication.

David, either you're being incredibly stupid or you're trolling, so it's giving you the benefit of the doubt to assume the latter.

It happens down here every time a hurricane approaches too.  That doesn’t mean that there aren’t prudent measures to be taken.

Measures you've not taken until "mandated."

But neither does it mean that just because I choose to drive out of state 5 days before the storm is due to arrive, you’re irresponsible if you wait to see if a mandatory evacuation is implemented.

That's not the same thing on several levels.

The news was interviewing some Spring breakers down in Miami and they were not heeding any advice from anyone. They were saying that it was their Spring break and they were not going to let a virus stop them from partying. To me that seems like the wrong attitude to take. Are we over-blowing it? Maybe in some ways, but not in others. But what I have noticed is that it has brought out the best and worst of people. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

25 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Are we over-blowing it?

I bet if you ask the people in Italy, they would have a definitive answer.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

It's hard for me to blame anyone for getting frustrated by it and wondering "is it necessary".  Friends of mine are in the restaurant industry and they are out of work to varying degrees. Some are catching a few hours here or there preparing take-away orders. A few have been laid off and one was fired out right. Personally, I'd hate to have to be the one to put people out of work and I'd be very frustrated by it.

That said, what do any of us really know about these things? For better or worse, we got to trust the medical community and our leadership to do what is best under the circumstances as we know them.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I bet if you ask the people in Italy, they would have a definitive answer.  

They have had over 4500 people die from the virus. I think we have to take "you" out of it and put "others" in. How does the virus affect the ones around you. You might be carrying it and give it to someone who can die from it, like my wife who has no immune system from chemotherapy, shes basically trapped inside her place in Germany because if she gets it she could possible die from it. That's what we have to think about. 

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Personally I am terrified of gas nozzles. I am using a paper towel these days.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to stop smoking while I'm pumping.  (I couldn't find a parable emoji)

I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my car.  Whenever I get in the car, I use my hand sanitizer.  It has become a habit lately.  I never used hand sanitizers before this outbreak.  Now, whenever I get in the car, the first thing I do is use the hand sanitizer.  Then I would start the car.

And whenever I come home, the first thing I do is wash my hands.  Even after I go out for a run, the first thing I do when I return is wash my hands.  That's before I even take. shower!

So this outbreak has changed my habits.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!