IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

3 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Yes, I knew you were joking, but it is amazing how some people actually believe it to be true. So many false conspiracies theories out there.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Heck I think I love the bad conspiracy theories. I revel in the creativeness. 
I find them entertaining, but never plausible. It is not in human nature to keep secrets, especially complicated ones about aliens and fake moon landing. 

Conspiracy theories also act as a lighthouse for illuminating the gullible. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

As someone who has been involved in biotechnology research and manufacturing for my entire career, including therapeutic proteins, cell therapy, gene therapy, and vaccines (including recently mRNA technology), I am amused by the conspiracies and skepticism about the pharma industry and scientific industries in general.

It only takes one person to start a conspiracy theory.  Then it takes millions to debunk it.

56 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Next you’re going to tell me that you really believe that we landed a man on the moon and that the earth is not flat!

The earth is flat, I checked it with my level.  Also, wouldn't my ball keep rolling down the fairway if it was not flat?  😁

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 minutes ago, StuM said:

The earth is flat, I checked it with my level.  Also, wouldn't my ball keep rolling down the fairway if it was not flat?  😁

Right?!  

And Lakes!   Pour a glass of water on a basketball and see if you can make it stay there.  

Flat I tell you!  😂

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, StuM said:

The earth is flat... and bumpy.  If you drive into the side of Mt. Rushmore you will not get much roll.

Guys... back on topic please.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I just got an email from the local hospital system that is inviting those 16 and over to  sign up for vaccinations. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Nobody can tell me exactly what metrics we need to hit to fully reopen! Is it zero cases? 50 per million? Hospitalizations below 5%? What is it??? 

All anybody says is “follow the science” or “listen to the CDC” but look where that’s got us. 

- Mark

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Braivo said:

All anybody says is “follow the science” or “listen to the CDC” but look where that’s got us. 

You do realize what a dopey statement that is, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Just now, Braivo said:

What metrics do we need to meet? 

Scroll up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Nobody can tell me exactly what metrics we need to hit to fully reopen! Is it zero cases? 50 per million? Hospitalizations below 5%? What is it??? 

The problem is this is a fluid situation.  If the CDC gave a set of criteria their hands would be tied and they could not adapt to new information. 

My sister-in-law is a nurse supervisor at a major hospital and she said for us to get vaccinated ASAP because she is concerned about the mutated strands being even worse then the original COVID and I am certain that would make the CDC want to see higher rates of vaccination then just a couple of months ago.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I was just reminded of my current decision to retire over the next few months.  For a long time I've been pondering, when do we have enough money to be able to retire.  And there's not a single simple answer.  I know, a little off-topic, but the decision-making process isn't so different, it requires evaluating a number of factors, many of which continue to change.  For the CDC to give a simple definitive answer right now would be rash, it seems pretty likely that the answer would need revision as time goes by.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

23 hours ago, Braivo said:

I never said anything about masks. I am of the opinion that we should all wear masks in indoor public spaces until everyone has had an opportunity to get a vaccine (some are saying July 4). I am talking about restrictions on businesses and schools. People losing their livelihoods. Kids falling behind because they aren't in school. etc. 

Well said, Dave. That's the debate that needs to happen. The virus ended up being right in the middle. If it was more severe, there wouldn't be much argument against restrictions (people would stay home without being forced because they wouldn't want to get it). If it was less severe it would be over. But it's right there in the middle with no clear, easy answer. 

Here's a good article on the issue, read all the way to the end. Highlights several things, including differences between states, and how these restrictions really hit teens the hardest. 

20210308-youth-interrupted-01.JPG?crop=f

In Hobbs, New Mexico, the high school closed and football was cancelled, while just across the state line in Texas, students seemed to be living nearly normal lives. Here’s how pandemic school…

This hits home for me. I have a 12 year old son who goes to private school and has been attending in person, mask, physical distance, and all since September, with Wednesday being asynchronous off day each week. They have had 3 confirmed COVID cases the whole year. My wife and I couldn't be more grateful. My son understands how lucky he is. 

My 14 year old daughter has been home/virtual and I see the difference. There are days we can't tell if she is just dealing with being a teenager or the isolation was taking it's toll (we both work and she has 5-6 hours a day on her own). One of her classmates committed suicide this January. We have taken some chances. We go to restaurants and done some trips out of town/state with them for her sake and managed to keep her spirits up. Thankfully soccer is back full on and she works for my wife part time now since she turned 14, so that has made a huge difference.

I can only imagine the plight of families who may not be so fortunate to have the means or outlets we have for our kids. 

I really hope we can all put away what it is that separates us, wear masks, get vaccines, whatever scrappy little advantages we can eek out over the pandemic and get our children back to school. IMO kids are very resilient but another year like this makes me wonder what statistics will evolve to. 

I have a similar opinion of the financial impact of restrictions. Abandon your personal 'givings' or misgivings, find a middle way (masks/vaccines/distancing, etc.) and plough on to not invite further stifling restrictions.

I don't know if the shutdowns/restriction work. I only know that we can't really afford them.   

Vishal S.

45 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

My 14 year old daughter has been home/virtual and I see the difference. There are days we can't tell if she is just dealing with being a teenager or the isolation was taking it's toll (we both work and she has 5-6 hours a day on her own). One of her classmates committed suicide this January. We have taken some chances. We go to restaurants and done some trips out of town/state with them for her sake and managed to keep her spirits up. Thankfully soccer is back full on and she works for my wife part time now since she turned 14, so that has made a huge difference.

Sorry to hear about her classmate and understand the trouble dealing with isolation.  Ultimate we humans are "Social Beings" and isolation is not good for our long-term mental health.  I feel school children and seniors are disproportionately hurt with the restrictions and hope as vaccination rates rise things get better for them.  I am hopeful that schools can be open for all this fall.

Stuart M.

49 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

This hits home for me. I have a 12 year old son who goes to private school and has been attending in person, mask, physical distance, and all since September, with Wednesday being asynchronous off day each week. They have had 3 confirmed COVID cases the whole year. My wife and I couldn't be more grateful. My son understands how lucky he is. 

I can only imagine the plight of families who may not be so fortunate to have the means or outlets we have for our kids. 

I really hope we can all put away what it is that separates us, wear masks, get vaccines, whatever scrappy little advantages we can eek out over the pandemic and get our children back to school. IMO kids are very resilient but another year like this makes me wonder what statistics will evolve to. 

I have a similar opinion of the financial impact of restrictions. Abandon your personal 'givings' or misgivings, find a middle way (masks/vaccines/distancing, etc.) and plough on to not invite further stifling restrictions.

I don't know if the shutdowns/restriction work. I only know that we can't really afford them.   

This resonates with me, a lot. I have three kids and each has dealt with this differently. My 13yo daughter struggled mightily in the absence of her peer group. She moped around the house for most of this past winter. We did everything out of the house we could find, but kids that age want their friends more than anything. Now my son, who has ADHD and needs healthy physical outlets, keeps having his activities canceled due to asymptomatic positive cases. His wrestling season got shut down last week, then his school, and now his Jiu Jitsu gym closed. He keeps taking blows. It's hard to justify when it's a virus that has little impact on kids his age. Let the kids be kids, let them do their thing, and like you said, we can mitigate the virus in other ways and in other places, but leave the kids alone. 

They are now starting to test ALL teen athletes in Michigan on a weekly basis. They are going to find constant asymptomatic cases, the same way they did when they started testing wrestlers. These sports seasons will go nowhere now, sadly. Another year of needless cancelations and disappointments. 

- Mark