Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The vast majority have only minor side effects.

Most of the people I know who contracted the actual virus over the last year had only minor symptoms. One of our people was deathly afraid of the virus over the last year and has been living like a hermit. She got the vaccine last week is now VERY sick.

These are just my observations. I am not telling anyone that they shouldn't get the vaccine, but I hope they understand the risks. There are risks with the tetanus shot too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop concern trolling. I think @iacas posted this earlier, but here are the actual risks of the vaccine:

social-share.25bfa1f6.jpg

Questions about COVID-19 vaccines’ safety have led to hesitancy for some Americans. Experts say there is almost zero cause for concern.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Most of the people I know who contracted the actual virus over the last year had only minor symptoms. One of our people was deathly afraid of the virus over the last year and has been living like a hermit. She got the vaccine last week is now VERY sick.

If she got VERY sick from the vaccine, she was probably wise to try to avoid the actual virus. I'm no doctor, but sounds like she doesn't have much of an immune system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Stop concern trolling. I think @iacas posted this earlier, but here are the actual risks of the vaccine:

Are we only allowed to make positive posts about the vaccine? If so, then the moderators can feel free to delete all of my posts.

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If she got VERY sick from the vaccine, she was probably wise to try to avoid the actual virus. I'm no doctor, but sounds like she doesn't have much of an immune system. 

I am not sure, and I don't care to guess. I am only posting my observations. I just find it ironic that she made it to the vaccine, and presumably that made her ill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Are we only allowed to make positive posts about the vaccine? If so, then the moderators can feel free to delete all of my posts.

It's funny, cuz the whole anti-vaccination group reminds me of anti-seatbelt or pro-smoking folks. 

I still meet a surprising number of people who refuse to wear their seatbelts. "I don't want anything tying me down anywhere." or "There was this guy who drove into the ocean and his seat-belt jammed. He would have lived if not for his seatbelt." 

I met a woman just the other day who was pregnant and smoking. I asked her about it. She said "Smoking is only bad for your baby in the first trimester. I'm in my third." She went on to say "I don't really think cigarettes are as bad for you as they say. It's just government propaganda." 

Wow, there are folks who in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary still hold tight to their principles... God, love em. 

Hey folks:

  • Seat belts save lives.
  • Smoking is bad for you.
  • The Earth is not flat
  • The Vaccine helps eliminate or at least dramatically reduce the affects of COVID-19. 

I'm not saying our government is always completely truthful with us. But the numbers are really starting to pile up. It looks like they told us the truth about at least the 4 things I mentioned above. ... Area 51 is still up for debate. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
meet not meat
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

Most of the people I know who contracted the actual virus over the last year had only minor symptoms. One of our people was deathly afraid of the virus over the last year and has been living like a hermit. She got the vaccine last week is now VERY sick.

The first is absolutely true, most patients had minor symptoms.  But over half a million died in the US.  Many more have long-term debilitating effects.  Many more spent days or weeks in the hospital.  The vaccines severely reduce the chance that you'll get infected.  Following on that, they reduce the chance that you'll infect someone else.  And even if you DO get infected, the vaccine almost eliminates the chance that you'll be hospitalized and die from the virus.  

This isn't to say any vaccine is risk-free.  Every choice we make in life requires us to evaluate and balance risks and benefits.  For this choice, getting the vaccine is the smartest possible choice, both for oneself and for the rest of society.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The first is absolutely true, most patients had minor symptoms.  But over half a million died in the US.  Many more have long-term debilitating effects.  Many more spent days or weeks in the hospital.  The vaccines severely reduce the chance that you'll get infected.  Following on that, they reduce the chance that you'll infect someone else.  And even if you DO get infected, the vaccine almost eliminates the chance that you'll be hospitalized and die from the virus.  

This isn't to say any vaccine is risk-free.  Every choice we make in life requires us to evaluate and balance risks and benefits.  For this choice, getting the vaccine is the smartest possible choice, both for oneself and for the rest of society.

It's a numbers game. Look, I don't trust our government, or our media for that matter. But in this case the numbers are really starting to pile up. The evidence is starting to become staggering. 

Again, why do you want to be the last person holding on to an argument that has no basis in fact anymore? 

I understand reluctance and mistrust and making your own choices. But, as you said, in this case, the choice seems obvious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It's funny, cuz the whole anti-vaccination group reminds me of anti-seatbelt or pro-smoking folks. 

I never said I was anti-vaccine. I am only posting observations about it. I realize the tendency here is to pile on a dissenting opinion like a pack of dogs on a wounded cat. If I was completely anti-vaccine, this would be the last place I would post about it. When I don't agree with anything here, I keep my keystrokes to myself and move on. I do have concerns that I will discuss with my doctor at my upcoming annual checkup. If we determine the need and the timing, I will get it from their staff.

29 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The Earth is not flat

I'm not so sure about this one. 👽

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I never said I was anti-vaccine.

No offense meant. I didn't even mean to imply you are an "anti-vaccine" folks. The point of my post was more to point out that I too am skeptical about any time the government says "We're here to help you." I don't trust them. But eventually even my skepticism can be worn down in the face of overwhelming evidence. This is one of those cases where that has happened. 

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I realize the tendency here is to pile on a dissenting opinion like a pack of dogs on a wounded cat.

I'm not trying to come off as I'm piling on. Just enjoying the conversation. It's tough because my tone doesn't come across in my typed words. But believe me, I'm smiling this morning. 

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I do have concerns that I will discuss with my doctor at my upcoming annual checkup. If we determine the need and the timing, I will get it from their staff.

Always a wise move. I'm just guessing here. But your doctor probably knows more about it than I do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Always a wise move. I'm just guessing here. But your doctor probably knows more about it than I do. 

Oddly, my friends who are doctors and nurses have vastly differing opinions on this. My doctor knows my health issues and can provide advice based on that.

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not trying to come off as I'm piling on.

No offense taken. I didn't feel that you were specifically. That just tends to happen here which is why I keep my mouth (keyboard) shut on many things and have avoided this thread for the most part.

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It's tough because my tone doesn't come across in my typed words.

It never does, which is why I never try to infer a tone in an online discussion.

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The point of my post was more to point out that I too am skeptical about any time the government says "We're here to help you." I don't trust them.

It's not so much that I don't trust the government. I don't believe there is anything nefarious going on as some do. I will only say that I have a very low opinion of a majority of elected officials and their advisors.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thank you. Seriously, @CarlSpackler, your anecdata is not worth much. Nor is anyone's.

As I stated, feel free to moderate my posts as you see fit. It is simply discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

As I stated, feel free to moderate my posts as you see fit. It is simply discussion.

We don't moderate posts often at all (99% of the ones we do are spam), and it's pretty crummy of you to say some of the things you've said:

42 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I realize the tendency here is to pile on a dissenting opinion like a pack of dogs on a wounded cat. If I was completely anti-vaccine, this would be the last place I would post about it. When I don't agree with anything here, I keep my keystrokes to myself and move on.

Hyperbole much? Jeez.

And if you honestly feel you can't disagree with stuff here, then just move along and find a site where everyone agrees all the time on everything, and see how that goes.

Gimme a break.

We don't — and never have — deleted posts that "disagree" or "moderated" them or done anything except discuss them. We like posts that disagree because it's far more interesting than everyone agreeing with each other.

But if you're someone like the recent professional driver and anti-"science" guy who says dumb things, people are going to call you out for saying dumb things. You said some (mildly) dumb things here lately, things not backed at all by any of the data wider than "Shane's observations." (And none of his posts were deleted or moderated, either. We believe strongly in letting people lie in the bed they make.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

 

These are just my observations. I am not telling anyone that they shouldn't get the vaccine, but I hope they understand the risks. 

What - that you can get side effects? You "observed" someone having side effects. Wow. Hardly a "risk" for taking a vaccine to prevent getting a virus that has killed so many.

You are suggesting that taking the vaccine is a "risky" undertaking. It is saving millions of lives.

 

Edited by Shorty
Link to post
Share on other sites

When you stop and think about it, we take much bigger risks every day when we get into an automobile and drive. I never really had any concerns of a risk when getting my Pfizer shots, more of whether I'd have some side effects or not, which I don't consider risks. I didn't even have side effects, even if I did no big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, Shorty said:

What - that you can get side effects? You "observed" someone having side effects. Wow. Hardly a "risk" for taking a vaccine to prevent getting a virus that has killed so many.

You are suggesting that taking the vaccine is a "risky" undertaking. It is saving millions of lives.

 

Shane was just presenting some local observations. Reactions are occurring, but most are very mild. One person in his circle had a more severe reaction, that’s all. He is not opposed to vaccines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I felt like I had gotten hit by a dump truck after my second Moderna shot also. Would I get the vaccine again? In a heartbeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today, at 10:21 a.m. PDT I become superhuman! It'll have been exactly two weeks since my second dose. Also, it is National Gin & Tonic day... think I'll go out and celebrate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • That’s a solid post Erik. 
    • Day 505 - May 16, 2021 Played 18 holes of irons-only (hit one driver on 15) with Sculley. Really focused on some short game shots, too.
    • Seriously. Also, we saw your post earlier, @David in FL, but it's as dumb the second time as it was the first time. In addition to what Dan said above, here is another article from the WHO: The effects of virus variants on COVID-19 vaccines The text in bold is quotes from that article: The COVID-19 vaccines that are currently in development or have been approved are expected to provide at least some protection against new virus variants because these vaccines elicit a broad immune response involving a range of antibodies and cells. Hmmmm. How can we prevent future new variants of the COVID-19 virus? Stopping the spread at the source remains key. Current measures to reduce transmission – including frequent hand washing, wearing a mask, physical distancing, good ventilation and avoiding crowded places or closed settings – continue to work against new variants by reducing the amount of viral transmission and therefore also reducing opportunities for the virus to mutate. Scaling up vaccine manufacturing and rolling out vaccines as quickly and widely as possible will also be critical ways of protecting people before they are exposed to the virus and the risk of new variants. Why is it important to get vaccinated even if there are new variants of the virus? Vaccines are a critical tool in the battle against COVID-19, and there are clear public health and lifesaving benefits to using the tools we already have. We must not put off getting vaccinated because of our concerns about new variants, and we must proceed with vaccination even if the vaccines may be somewhat less effective against some of the COVID-19 virus variants. So the scorecard: Vaccinated people: Are nearly 100% protected from the majority of strains/variants of COVID-19. Are "somewhat" protected against every variant of COVID-19. Have a very low chance of catching COVID and an even lower chance of passing it on to someone. Are helping to reduce the creation of new variants. Dave's peeps: Aren't protected at all against the majority of strains/variants of COVID-19. Aren't protected against any variant. Have only a reduced chance of catching COVID-19 because other people are being good members of society and getting vaccinated. Are not helping to reduce the creation of new variants. Your "we don't know how the vaccine handles new variants" is a bullshit excuse not to get vaccinated because every vaccine out there is more effective against every variant than not getting vaccinated at all. You're being selfish while conning yourself into thinking you're being "prudent." Nobody would rationally define "prudent" the way you're choosing to. Nobody who understands the mountains of data out there. What you are calling "prudent" is what most may call "selfish."
    • If I got held up by a group of guys playing this in front of me….someone’s going home with a broken toy. Lol.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. abco72
      abco72
      (59 years old)
    2. Bccgolfpro33
      Bccgolfpro33
      (34 years old)
    3. BogeyDylan
      BogeyDylan
      (25 years old)
    4. curtanderse
      curtanderse
      (37 years old)
    5. Finn chou
      Finn chou
      (23 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...