IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

@Nail, your right hip isn't shifting slightly to get more "over" the pipe insulation. You're keeping just as much pressure on your left foot, nearly as you have at setup.

@boogielicious, you could do a bit more, too - look at the pressure under that left foot during the backswing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@Nail, your right hip isn't shifting slightly to get more "over" the pipe insulation. You're keeping just as much pressure on your left foot, nearly as you have at setup.

@boogielicious, you could do a bit more, too - look at the pressure under that left foot during the backswing.

Ya I've been working so hard on the wall drill and a backswing with no sway that I think it carried on to this drill. I'll definitely try it again. 

Day 17 - This one scared the daylights out of me when I first realized that I would be standing on pool noodle type materials.  A quick test of the left foot and on with the brace.  To be honest I love the feedback that I was getting from my feet - the loading and unloading of the heel/toe areas. Great exercise once I settled in with the brace....

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

@WillieT, I know it may not be all that possible, and maybe you will forever have to compensate with a back ball position and stuff, but if you can get more directly over that left ankle - in all of the drills we've done, really - I think that can help you quite a bit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Day 17 - No video today. Thankfully, I have two boys that try to kill each other (along with the other kids in neighborhood) with pool noodles so I had them on hand. I definitely have the cheating tendency to brace myself by bringing my right knee into valgus. 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

@WillieT, I know it may not be all that possible, and maybe you will forever have to compensate with a back ball position and stuff, but if you can get more directly over that left ankle - in all of the drills we've done, really - I think that can help you quite a bit.

Appreciate that feedback Erick ( @iacas ).  I realized this when I started to swing the club about 18 mos ago - that left foot did not agree with weight coming down on it. My body goes into defense mode.  Thanks to these exercises, I can "sense" how much I catch myself ending with most of my weight on my right.  It is and will continue to be a goal of mine - to get "OFF" as much as possible the back (right) foot and more onto the "front" (left) foot.  It may mean trusting the brace to stabilize the left foot....just haven't gotten there.     

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 17:

Both the backswing and the downswing ended up longer than what I was supposed to be doing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Was able to complete all of my open drills today at the range, except for day 17 as I don't have noodles and there wasn't anything in my trunk to substitute with.

I didn't have a lot of time at the range once I got done with the drills, as well as working on getting my weight on my back foot at the start of the backswing and readjusting my grip a little, but the flow of my swing was definitely better and I could quickly feel the difference of my weight shifting forward to start the transition once the weight was on my back foot.  I have struggled with my transition for a long time.

Even though I didn't have a lot of time hitting balls, I felt like my contact was good and felt a lot more loose in my transition than I did before.  The one thing I did notice with focusing on the drills for the trail arm was that I was fading everything, which seemed to be caused by an open face not the swing path, at least from my perspective.  But I will keep working at it as much as I can inside until I can get back out to the range.

48 minutes ago, WillieT said:

It is and will continue to be a goal of mine - to get "OFF" as much as possible the back (right) foot and more onto the "front" (left) foot.  It may mean trusting the brace to stabilize the left foot....just haven't gotten there.     

The trust will come with more play, I tore my left quad tendon a few years ago and it took a while to trust my left side, but I realized after that my knee was strong enough a lot sooner than it was in my brain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gus
---------------

• Administrator

You could stand on a small piece of wood instead of noodles, or a branch or a piece of PVC or metal pipe… or a line of golf balls, maybe, if they don't roll away.

• Like 1

Day 17

Equipment is important.  I used two of my favorite wines:

A.     A Rafanelli (Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County) 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (half finished)

B.     Bliss Family Vineyards (Mendocino) 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (finished)

Worked well. Even after finishing a bottle and a half.

Edited by metaswinger
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

No noodles, I think these are vacuum cleaner attachments.

They tend to want to move on the concrete, so not sure if the backswing got long enough , but it sure makes you concentrate. 

• Like 2

No video but did day 17 using some extra PVC pipe. I was pretty used to how this would feel, I did a ton of swings like this over the winter with my instructor, especially with my driver, I had each foot on a half inflated 2-3" thick rubber disc, something like the image below. 

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Day 17

Did this one indoors in a sort of level room. My house was built in 1912 so I’m sure it wasn’t level.

No pool noodles or pipe insulation, but I did have some 1-1/2” PVC pipe, so cut it into 12” lengths and used those. Not sure if this gave correct feedback because it isn’t squishy, but definitely forced full engagement of leg/core muscles.
0EBCBD71-588F-44DC-A00F-432E4A4669F6.jpeg.33ba61b43fabc51b5f8e40991c25c97c.jpeg

I really like this kind of balance training because it really engages so many muscle groups. After each segment I took a short break and did the same movements on solid floor while I caught my breath.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 17:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

15 hours ago, JGus said:

The trust will come with more play, I tore my left quad tendon a few years ago and it took a while to trust my left side, but I realized after that my knee was strong enough a lot sooner than it was in my brain.

Thanks @JGus - know I have to keep at it.  That is one of the main reasons I have pushed to try to complete each drill....

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 18 – Swing Path Gate Drill

Key #4 is “Sweetspot Path” or “Diagonal Sweetspot Path,” and it governs the path the clubhead or sweetspot takes on the downswing and, most importantly, at impact. A good path is not too inward or outward, but is almost never truly “square,” either. Today’s drills will teach you what you have to feel to deliver the clubhead along different paths.

While the vast majority of amateurs swing to the left, making that drill feel “easy” to them, there are golfers who swing too far to the right by various incorrect means. In today’s drills, pay attention to which drills feel easiest and which ones are tough to do, and why.

As with all drills, start doing them slowly and ramp up the speed as you go.

The drills for today:

• 3:00 – Square (straight) path
  • 2:00 – Leftward path
  • 2:00 – Rightward path
  • 2:00 – Whichever you found most difficult

Video:

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 18:

I couldn’t get balls to stay on my mat so I cut little cylinders out of pool noodles. I don’t think I hit them, I think they were just moving from the mat moving or the wind of the club moving past them or something. Might try again later and stuff a golf ball inside each one and see if that makes them more stable.

If I had to pick, I’d say the left one is slightly more difficult. Honestly I didn’t find either one hard to do, but I’ve done a lot of path drills like this before, so in the end I just practiced both directions over again.

Edit: Sidewalk chalk did the trick. Golf balls don’t fit inside pool noodles.

Also, remember when I said I nailed the metal frame of my mat the other day doing the inside/outside drill with the mat turned sideways? Well this happened just now:

18516747-B376-4DDF-A7CD-717C3A67C510.jpeg

Guess I’ll have something to do later 😅

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!