Bonvivant

Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

Carts Post COVID-19  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

• Yes
    • No

110 posts / 3748 viewsLast Reply

As for myself, I've walked thousands of round in my life. But at 67, with a pretty well shot right knee (ACL reconstruction),  a twingy left knee, and a little bit of a creaky left hip, if a course is walking only I'm NOT playing there! I can't! I have noticed at the local metroparks course, a lot more people walking since they bought a slew of really nice Sun Mountain rental push carts to replace the old wrecks that they had! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, snapfade said:

After consuming a whole bottle by the 6th hole, you deem it necessary to run naked across the 6th green.

You thought it was the 6th green. It was actually the lawn and garden section of Walmart.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

You thought it was the 6th green. It was actually the lawn and garden section of Walmart.

Better than Dick's...

44 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I could see something like that happen at Walmart here. I do live in the "Florida Man" State.

social

Once-disparaged device is an item everybody wants after courses ban caddies and motorized carts to fight coronavirus.

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn We’re Out of Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer—and Golf Pushcarts?

Once-disparaged device is an item everybody wants after courses ban caddies and motorized carts to fight coronavirus.

Thanks @gbogey
Edited by Bonvivant

On 4/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I caddied at a country club as a kid and was in heaven when my guy bought me a Snicker bar at the turn.  Not to mention I'd been sitting in the caddie shack since sunrise waiting for a loop but the old men regulars got the first and best loops.  We dregs went out late and hungry.

I caddied at a country club as well and this kind of politics is why I stopped. The course would ignore requests for multiple caddies in a group and instead give them one "seasoned" forecaddie so that he could make more money, rather than honor the request and allow more caddies out of the shack. Unless you wanted to sit around in a hot shack for a few summers first you weren't going to be going out onto the course or earning much. It meant that many of the "seasoned" caddies knew less about the course than the members they assisted since they so rarely got to go out previously.

In general it may not change much, but I imagine there will be more people that will continue to walk after the crisis is over.

For me it depends on the course. Some courses are just too hilly and/or long to walk. Others can be perfect for walking.

At least around here it seems all the courses are offering carts at one rider per cart without charging any extra.

The home course looks like a flipping parking lot these days.

24 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The home course looks like a flipping parking lot these days.

Do you think that's because the regulars are playing more?  More time off to do so... pent up demand?  Or... do you think more people have taken up the game since the virus struck?

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do you think that's because the regulars are playing more?  More time off to do so... pent up demand?  Or... do you think more people have taken up the game since the virus struck?

In our case it's a combination of people simply wanting to get out of the house and the fact that four area golf courses just closed permanently. I'm not so sure that many just started playing golf. Two of my area's best beginner courses are among the ones shut.

My point was how funny it is to see 12 golf carts on one part-5 hole.  They need a traffic cop on duty where the No. 1 tee and the 18th green come together.

Edited by mcanadiens

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Neither.  There are just twice as many carts on any given hole.  It looks like a clown car convention out there some times!

4 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

In our case it's a combination of people simply wanting to get out of the house and the fact that four area golf courses just closed permanently. I'm not so sure that many just started playing golf. Two of my area's best beginner courses are among the ones shut.

My point was how funny it is to see 12 golf carts on one part-5 hole.  They need a traffic cop on duty where the No. 1 tee and the 18th green come together.

Geez... one par 5 holes takes up a quarter of the golf cart fleet!  No wonder they run out by 10:30.

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Neither.  There are just twice as many carts on any given hole.  It looks like a clown car convention out there some times!

And I don’t really agree with the five ball group who comes in the same car then takes separate carts.

I just came back from my local course after chipping and putting.   Their idea of sanitizing the carts is to take a power washer to the wheel wells, tires and floor.   Nothing additional was done.    

18 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I just came back from my local course after chipping and putting.   Their idea of sanitizing the carts is to take a power washer to the wheel wells, tires and floor.   Nothing additional was done.    

What a joke!  The high touch areas that need sanitizing are the steering wheel, the reverse shifter, the rubber knobs where you pull down the windshield, the cup holders, the recess storage, the handles along the seats and the strap and pinch mechanism that attaches your bag to the cart.  Oh, and the rooftop area where you grab it to get back into the cart.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

And I don’t really agree with the five ball group who comes in the same car then takes separate carts.

My club has stopped mandating single rider carts.  Likely due to similar common sense...  :beer:

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

My club has stopped mandating single rider carts.  Likely due to similar common sense...  :beer:

Our courses were asking that from beginning. 

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Beware those cart riders that accidentally sneeze near your face.  Or the ones that discourse on and on about how they just hit that check-up wedge.  If you see any aerosol droplets coming at you quickly duck them.