IGNORED

Where Will My Game Be In Six Years?

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

So you think I’m gonna get worse in the next several years? I think not.

There are so many things that can happen during that time. If you are practicing the right way and the right things and not just hitting the ball in your practice. Are you working on your short game and putting? Taking lessons to improve your swing and any bad habits? I hope you continue to improve and still have the determination to get to your hopes and dreams. 

On 4/24/2020 at 3:26 AM, dagolfer18 said:

This crossed my mind yesterday evening. Where do y’all think my game will be in five years based on the following facts about my game right now:

1) I am going out to the course two to three times a week to practice, in addition to practicing two or three times a week at home (with some overlap days, so practicing probably 3-5 days a week).

2) I am playing once or twice a week.

3) My handicap is currently 19.2

4) I am scoring in the low 90s, but am on the brink of 80s.

I believe that if I keep up the practice mentioned above, I can get into low 80s by the time I graduate from high school in June 2022, and maybe mid 70s by the time I graduate from college in 2026, which means I might be able to play the US Am soon after.

Take it one step at a time and most of all enjoy yourself and don't stress if your not the next Greg Norman(Great white shark) that pretty much went from taking up golf to winning his first European tour title 6yrs later then going on to hold world #1 for 331wks 

Go Foxy Go

@dagolfer18-Man please tell me why any of us should care where YOUR game will be in six years?-You do not know what will happen in those six years-ANd we know even LESS than you do

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

@dagolfer18-Man please tell me why any of us should care where YOUR game will be in six years?-You do not know what will happen in those six years-ANd we know even LESS than you do

Give the kid (teenager) a break...he asked a simple question....so many just answered him. Yes, many might not care what his game looks like in 6 years...but at least they have refrained from a making condescending post.

@dagolfer18 seems like a nice young man....looks after and takes his younger brother out to play golf too....he's always respectful when he posts here.

IMO.....and I can likely speak for others here....he's always welcome to contribute and post here.

And I am welcome to post here too-I think it is a dumb topic.

Hey kid-Where do you think I will be in my life in six years? I mean-You should be able to answer because you know virtually nothing about me.

There is one person here who cares about your golf game-YOU.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

Hey, yeah, while we're predicting the future, if anyone can tell me the winning lottery numbers for, March 23, 2021, I'd appreciate it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil McGleno said:

37 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

And I am welcome to post here too-I think it is a dumb topic.

Hey kid-Where do you think I will be in my life in six years? I mean-You should be able to answer because you know virtually nothing about me.

There is one person here who cares about your golf game-YOU.

I will not answer your questions, but rather I will pose to you a few more questions of my own. You have used two posts to prove the same point, both aggressive and harsh. I see your point, but why put it this way? I was taken aback when I read these, and I didn’t understand why you were thrashing out at me. I asked an innocent question, and many of the people on this forum have answered supportively, which I appreciate. Yes, you are allowed to post here, but, in my opinion, it should NOT be to lash out at others. All I really want to know from you is why you have posted in this way. 

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Because this topic is stupid and self-involved.-Again how the hell should anyone know what your game is going to be like in six years?

Just because a few people replied does not mean the topic is worth having.

But hey while we are at it I will take the lottery numbers for March 22, 2021.

Lashed out?-Please kid you are soft if this is lashing out. I think this whole thread is stupid.

11 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

Another question:

You're not going to get the answers you're looking for, I would suggest just moving on and ignore certain comments.  This is a forum, you are going to get responses from every side and there's not enough time in the day to worry about them or try to respond to all of them.

Gus
---------------

21 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

McGleno's comments have me thinking he is a little self-involved.

I don’t think Phil is being “self-involved”. Phil has been an instructor for decades and has played PGA Tour events. While his statement was abrupt, the idea that we cannot predict anyone’s future is correct. There are too many variables.

I think it would have been better for @dagolfer18 to post it differently. Where does he want to be in six years from a golfing perspective and what does he need to do to get there? This is where forum members can provide advice and perspective from their experiences.

There are a lot of things to work on in golf and time, health, learning curve all factor in. Heck, I just retired, have been practicing my behind off for a good 6 months and now I can’t even play due to COVID.

So for the OP, where do you want to be? Are you planning on going to college? Time to practice can be a factor. You are in N.C. so you will have more time to play and practice than we northerners. You need goals and a plan to get there. You need self analysis to understand your weaknesses and determine what to focus on. And lastly, you need perseverance because obstacles will arise.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

Maybe a few other members of this forum were once where I am. Of course I don’t know that, but there’s a chance.

I was where you were about two years ago, but I'm 42 now. I started playing golf in college around age 19 because my roommate was an excellent golfer, and I played casually with a homemade swing until I was 39, which is when decided to take golf seriously. I took my first lesson at age 40. My goal is to be a low teens handicap, which I feel is reasonable considering I spend 8+ hours a day working, own a fixer upper house, and have two young children. If I had the freedom of youth, I might set more aggressive goals.

I envy your interest and passion for the game at age 16. At 16, the only sports I cared about were baseball, football, soccer, and Michael Jordan. I thought golf was stupid and boring, especially The Masters with its ridiculous cheesy music. Looking back, I wish I had played golf in high school. I went to a small, boys, catholic high school, and there was no competition for sports teams; if you wanted to play, you were on the team, and golf was a spring sport so football and soccer season were over for me. But instead of being on the golf team, I spent my free time drinking beer and smoking weed.

Regarding your game, no one can predict the future. We don't know what natural athletic ability you have, what type of instruction/coaching you get, and what your practice habits are. That said, you're already way ahead of golfers like me, as far as commitment to the game and time to improve. Have you thought about starting a My Swing thread? That would give the experienced people on the forum an idea of where your swing is now, and you might get some useful advice on things to work on to get better.

Good luck!

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Where does he want to be in six years from a golfing perspective and what does he need to do to get there? This is where forum members can provide advice and perspective from their experiences.

This is a great point, and I think this is why a My Swing thread would be really useful for @dagolfer18

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 4/23/2020 at 11:26 AM, dagolfer18 said:

This crossed my mind yesterday evening. Where do y’all think my game will be in five years based on the following facts about my game right now:

15-16 maybe ? 

You can assure yourself some credit for playing as often as you are playing/planning to play. Steady progression is not a certainty. There are people who actually regress in spite of their best intended efforts. 

Some good advise in the posts here. Find a good instructor. Ignore some of the Simon Cowell type reactions you got. IMO, they are just as pointless as the poster thinks this thread is.

There will be plenty of reality checks soon enough in your journey. Your youth allows you to be more hopeful than some of us grumpy older farts. Just know that most times roads less traveled are less traveled for good reason. 

Good luck and be smart. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

I was where you were about two years ago, but I'm 42 now. I started playing golf in college around age 19 because my roommate was an excellent golfer, and I played casually with a homemade swing until I was 39, which is when decided to take golf seriously. I took my first lesson at age 40. My goal is to be a low teens handicap, which I feel is reasonable considering I spend 8+ hours a day working, own a fixer upper house, and have two young children. If I had the freedom of youth, I might set more aggressive goals.

I envy your interest and passion for the game at age 16. At 16, the only sports I cared about were baseball, football, soccer, and Michael Jordan. I thought golf was stupid and boring, especially The Masters with its ridiculous cheesy music. Looking back, I wish I had played golf in high school. I went to a small, boys, catholic high school, and there was no competition for sports teams; if you wanted to play, you were on the team, and golf was a spring sport so football and soccer season were over for me. But instead of being on the golf team, I spent my free time drinking beer and smoking weed.

Regarding your game, no one can predict the future. We don't know what natural athletic ability you have, what type of instruction/coaching you get, and what your practice habits are. That said, you're already way ahead of golfers like me, as far as commitment to the game and time to improve. Have you thought about starting a My Swing thread? That would give the experienced people on the forum an idea of where your swing is now, and you might get some useful advice on things to work on to get better.

Good luck!

This is a great point, and I think this is why a My Swing thread would be really useful for @dagolfer18

I’ve tried to post on the My Swing thread before. I took a video, but when I tried to post it, it wouldn’t go through.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I agree with many of the responses.  You are still young now and probably have more flexible time.  Use that time to continue training and practicing.  Set a solid foundation now.  When you go to college and especially after college, you will be hit with many many distractions and your priorities may also shift.  Thus you may not always have as much time for golf. 

21 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ve tried to post on the My Swing thread before. I took a video, but when I tried to post it, it wouldn’t go through.

Just upload it to youtube and link the video. its really easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I don’t think Phil is being “self-involved”. Phil has been an instructor for decades and has played PGA Tour events. While his statement was abrupt, the idea that we cannot predict anyone’s future is correct. There are too many variables.

So you can confidently say this guy is Mac O'Grady?

12 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

So you can confidently say this guy is Mac O'Grady?

He is definitely not Mac O’Grady.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!