Jump to content
mclaren4life

Annoying Habits on the Practice Green

28 posts / 1637 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

So is anybody else as bothered by guys who hit like 30 balls on the practice green? If it’s a huge practice area and late or very early and you have it to yourself i guess it’s ok but other than that I think it’s rude as hell. I’ve gone many time with my son and there are people hitting ball after ball after ball. I always tell my son to never be that guy. Is it just me or does anybody else feel my pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know exactly the kind of people you are talking about! My local muni has a very nice chipping area but every time I go, there’d be a guy with lots of balls hogging the whole area so no one else can practice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Exactly. I understand you got there first guy but that doesn’t give you and only you the right to use the green. Stop being a douche. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mclaren4life said:

So is anybody else as bothered by guys who hit like 30 balls on the practice green? If it’s a huge practice area and late or very early and you have it to yourself i guess it’s ok but other than that I think it’s rude as hell. I’ve gone many time with my son and there are people hitting ball after ball after ball. I always tell my son to never be that guy. Is it just me or does anybody else feel my pain. 

If you're hitting to the same pin it should be okay.  Just don't be the guy who wants to hit the 90 footers to every pin like it was miniature golf or something.  Some of us are working on our game with just one pin/hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Them, and the guy that putts to a hole, then stands right next to it while he putts to another, tying up 2 holes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I'm on the chipping/putting practice green, I only use two, sometimes three balls. 

Never could see the sense in hitting a bag full of balls when other folks were using the same green.

Even my shag stick only holds 14 balls, which I use on the short game course. 

I saw "That Guy" the other day, chipping on the practice green. Must of had 30+ balls in play, aim at one target.. There were 4 other folks on the same smallish green. The 30 ball guy was annoyed that the other folks were in his way.

I asked my Granddaughter what was wrong with that picture? She told she was going to practice 50 yard shots, out of everyone else's  way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Them, and the guy that putts to a hole, then stands right next to it while he putts to another, tying up 2 holes.

 

A lot of times on the practice green I need to leave one "dead" ball by the hole to let others know this is the hole, and only hole, I am using.  Please don't putt to this hole...

Ah, the etiquette of the practice green... should be in the USGA rules.  😁

5 minutes ago, Patch said:

I asked my Granddaughter what was wrong with that picture? She told she was going to practice 50 yard shots, out of everyone else's  way. 

Your Granddaughter sure knows how to dodge the question.  She will turn out to be a fine diplomat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Them, and the guy that putts to a hole, then stands right next to it while he putts to another, tying up 2 holes.

 

I find this guy also loves to practice his 30 footers across the line of someone else's putt in an attempt to clog up a third hole at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have two putting greens for putting alone. Three for chipping/putting. I never hesitate to let people know the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it’s crowded, I just put a tee in the green and putt or chip to that. I do dislike green hogs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

We have two putting greens for putting alone. Three for chipping/putting. I never hesitate to let people know the difference.

You’re a lot more persuasive than I am 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you're hitting to the same pin it should be okay.  Just don't be the guy who wants to hit the 90 footers to every pin like it was miniature golf or something.  Some of us are working on our game with just one pin/hole.

Even if it’s one pin there are still balls spread out all over the place. Most people hitting that many damn balls isn’t grouping 30 shots within a 6’ circle around their pin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend about 80 or 90% of my golf time at the range or practice areas (green and trap) so I see all of the above from time to time. I have to say though, that the unwritten rule of three practice balls on the green is adhered to more often than not. It's usually someone new that will dump 15 on the green and go to town. It's annoying, but I bite my tongue because one of the cranky old regulars will invariably emerge from the cigar smoke-choked grillroom, stroll up with his putter and his drawstring Chivas Regal bag of practice Dunlops, and set the newbie straight.

 

 

Edited by commishbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

We have two putting greens for putting alone. Three for chipping/putting. I never hesitate to let people know the difference.

Glad to see you're a guy that speaks up.

It doesn't happen often, but I also have no issue speaking to others who have no consideration for others wanting to share the facilities fairly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I dislike is the person that sets up a putting station on the green. Sets up different putting directions to the hole and goes about his business. It usually is ok if it’s early, but the few times I’ve witnessed it he was oblivious to his surroundings as the green got busier.

Just yesterday as I finished my round I drove by the chipping area. There was dad standing next to the pin with a putter in his hand hitting the balls back to his son who was chipping to the hole.  Ball after ball. Must of been 20-30 balls on the green at any given point. Tied up that end of the practice area.  The other two holes had about 7 or 8 people chipping to two holes.

i actually am dumbfounded that people just ignore people like that and don’t say anything.  I usually do if I’m there wanting to putt or chip in these type of situations.  What’s more frustrating is that the Staff at the club doesn’t say anything even as they walk by observing the rudeness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A lot of times on the practice green I need to leave one "dead" ball by the hole to let others know this is the hole, and only hole, I am using.  Please don't putt to this hole...

Ah, the etiquette of the practice green... should be in the USGA rules.  😁

Your Granddaughter sure knows how to dodge the question.  She will turn out to be a fine diplomat...

This brings up an interesting question regarding etiquette. Is it better to use just one hole or move around the green and use multiple holes? I gotta admit, it bugs me a bit when somebody “takes over” one hole. I like to move around the green to check different slopes but sometimes there’s holes I can’t putt to because somebody has camped out there. Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

This brings up an interesting question regarding etiquette. Is it better to use just one hole or move around the green and use multiple holes? I gotta admit, it bugs me a bit when somebody “takes over” one hole. I like to move around the green to check different slopes but sometimes there’s holes I can’t putt to because somebody has camped out there. Just curious.

I guess it depends on the size/layout of the green. Usually one hole can provide several different slopes to work with. When I’m on a putting green I’m more working on my stroke rather than breaking putts or reading. I get an idea of speed then work on my technical putting. 

Edited by Vinsk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

The one I dislike is the person that sets up a putting station on the green. Sets up different putting directions to the hole and goes about his business. It usually is ok if it’s early, but the few times I’ve witnessed it he was oblivious to his surroundings as the green got busier.

Just yesterday as I finished my round I drove by the chipping area. There was dad standing next to the pin with a putter in his hand hitting the balls back to his son who was chipping to the hole.  Ball after ball. Must of been 20-30 balls on the green at any given point. Tied up that end of the practice area.  The other two holes had about 7 or 8 people chipping to two holes.

i actually am dumbfounded that people just ignore people like that and don’t say anything.  I usually do if I’m there wanting to putt or chip in these type of situations.  What’s more frustrating is that the Staff at the club doesn’t say anything even as they walk by observing the rudeness.

Come on, he is training the next Tiger Woods. You are just a nobody and have no idea, LOL. I had a joker like this who had his six year old doing ladder drills I swear chipping to 1 foot increments with maybe 10 tees stuck in the green and a bucket of range balls. If that wasn't annoying enough there was the constant coaching and lecturing.

Minimal, quiet talk in the practice are. Preferably none at all. The guy with the cell phone on the practice green is probably the worst. Yakkety yak, blah, blah, blah, with a phone in one hand and the putter in another. or the guy with ear buds or blue tooth carrying on about the monthly numbers or something.

Edited by Carl3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...