DeadMan

2020 Memorial Tournament

84 posts / 3315 viewsLast Reply

Concerning this Bryson OB thing, Bryson did ask about why Phil was able to hit from the other side of the fence.

So why was Phil allowed to do so?

i know it was a mesh fence. So my guess is that it has no posts and the boundary is literally where each part of the mesh touches the grass.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Concerning this Bryson OB thing, Bryson did ask about why Phil was able to hit from the other side of the fence.

So why was Phil allowed to do so?

i know it was a mesh fence. So my guess is that it has no posts and the boundary is literally where each part of the mesh touches the grass.

No, it had posts. Mesh doesn't just stand up on its own. And I think you're thinking of the wrong thing… more later.

The simple answer is this: Phil's ball was in bounds. Bryson's was not.

Here's the mesh one. You can see the posts, and the mesh "folds" in a little bit, so that's why the ball is likely in bounds.

Here's the one I think Bryson was actually talking about. You can see at the beginning that the officials measured with a string.

I'm still amazed at the change of course condition in just a few days. I know Jack intentionally wanted to make the course firm, but man, the heat wave we're in here in central Ohio has really made it tough. In a days time, the greens are already looking pretty terrible. Not sure about anyone else, but it gives me a boost of confidence to actually see the world's best golfers struggle much the same as me at times.

Looking forward to final round coverage today. I'm sure approach shots and putting will be similar to hitting balls into the IKEA parking lot.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No, it had posts. Mesh doesn't just stand up on its own. And I think you're thinking of the wrong thing… more later.

The simple answer is this: Phil's ball was in bounds. Bryson's was not.

Here's the mesh one. You can see the posts, and the mesh "folds" in a little bit, so that's why the ball is likely in bounds.

Here's the one I think Bryson was actually talking about. You can see at the beginning that the officials measured with a string.

I think Bryson did say to the official ‘Mesh fence’ but I think he was confusing the two scenarios you posted. He mixed up the situation with the type of fence.

I forget, does making a 7 affect whether one is still "in it" for the no sixes challenge?  Because it affects if Tiger can still get that award today :-(  

Well unless something wild happens this Memorial Sunday round is a sleeper.

22 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well unless something wild happens this Memorial Sunday round is a sleeper.

Rahm is having a low event round after starting with a four shot lead. 

25 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Rahm is having a low event round after starting with a four shot lead. 

I’m hoping his temper explodes and this gets interesting again...

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m hoping his temper explodes and this gets interesting again...

He made the turn with an 8 shot lead, started the second nine bogey-double-par, Ryan Palmer plays the same stretch one under, could get interesting.

23 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Annnnd this is why Finau has one win on the PGA TOUR. Shame...I like him but boy does he choke.

I like Finau....I guess I've not followed him closely.....never knew he was a CHOKER....and he's been choking on Sunday too.

BUT

Rambo is choking a bit too...though the conditions are really tough...would Rahm be choking more if he didn't have a large lead?

The greens are baked out...though they've already started to tear them up even before the event has ended....obviously Muirfield must be financially ok...considering the cost of reno's.

DLIII is BRUTAL and BORING as a commentator

29 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

DLIII is BRUTAL and BORING as a commentator

Yeah I’ve never been much of a fan. Country club kid...golf path laid out for him. Respect for his talent of course but many struggles he never had to deal with. Boring to say the least.

Whoa...Did you guys see Rahm’s ball move when he set his club behind the ball on that flop shot? @iacas?

Edited by Vinsk

Now they’re talking about it....but I thought it has to be noticeable by human eye and not camera?

26 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I’ve never been much of a fan. Country club kid...golf path laid out for him. Respect for his talent of course but many struggles he never had to deal with. Boring to say the least.

Whoa...Did you guys see Rahm’s ball move when he set his club behind the ball on that flop shot? @iacas?

I saw that when it happened and called it! Now Rahm knows what it’s like to be Tiger. 

27 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That’s a hard one to notice from the players perspective. Can you call it in real time?? I think it moved, tilted slightly..... I wouldn’t be surprised if that is seen as a non penalty by the tournament ref though.

I don’t think that is able to be seen by any person’s perspective without camera aid.

Edited by Vinsk

I am not a John Rahm fan but that was not a Patrick Reed moment...

With the long rough that probably happened 100 times this week, but no cameramen were doing close-ups.  Must have been Bryson's favorite camera guy.  😀

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

He was the son of a country club employee.