Jump to content
IGNORED

Your Backswing Length - Too Long? Probably.


Backswing Length  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. How long is your backswing relative to what it probably "should" be?

    • It's shorter than it should be.
    • It's the right length.
    • It's longer than it should be.
    • It's MUCH longer than it should be.


Recommended Posts

I voted shorter, but my backswing vacillates between too long and too short. When I first started lessons, it was way too long, and my teacher shortened it to a spot where it felt like I wouldn't be able to hit more than a half shot (I was way wrong). Now my tendency is to shorten it too much. I've figured out a pretty good physical indicator of correct length backswing by a specific stretch in my hips and side that tell me when to stop (luckily, I am not the most flexible person, so it's easy to feel). My main problem now (with backswing length) is getting too excited to hit the ball, and stopping too soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Mine is perfect 🙃

seriously, I think my length is prob pretty good. 6 months ago it was too long, but more manageable now.  If I’m wrong, it’s prob a little longer than it should be. Now as to how pretty it is....?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I’m not sure how long is considered  “MUCH longer” but I definitely have a longer back swing than I could. It’s something that’s on the to do list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I’m not sure how long is considered  “MUCH longer” but I definitely have a longer back swing than I could. It’s something that’s on the to do list. 

Phil... your current backswing length produces multiple sub-par rounds.  If you shorten your backswing it had better move you to a +4. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have arthritis in my left shoulder and it keeps me from a longer back swing.   There are times though when it is too long and it leads to trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spent most of last year working on flexibility and increasing my backswing length cause I thought it was short. Started taking lessons in November, just to find out that I was turning to 140 degrees give or take and I’m suppose to stop at~90.......who knew a solid struck ball could fly that far feeling like I’m barely swinging....

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Everyone says my backswing looks like I'm John Daly. I wrap that club all the way back around behind me. Our Pro asked me if I could actually see the ball at the end of my backswing. I never realized, that in fact, no, I don't see the ball. I've tried to shorten the backswing, but it throws my timing off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
43 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

Everyone says my backswing looks like I'm John Daly. I wrap that club all the way back around behind me. Our Pro asked me if I could actually see the ball at the end of my backswing. I never realized, that in fact, no, I don't see the ball. I've tried to shorten the backswing, but it throws my timing off.

Might be a case of one step backward for several steps forward if you fix that.

I’d give it serious consideration.

One other question: how do you hit partial shots?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted to long.  Honestly I have no idea if my back swing is to long, just right or to short.

I had neck surgery and that did not allow a big back swing for a long time.  I had one Fitter tell me that I had a compact swing but managed to get a lot of efficiency out of it.

Then last summer one of the guys I was playing with told me my back swing was getting huge.

I watch videos on this site, PGA players swings in slow motion, some videos on line and to be honest I have no idea on how big a back swing should be.

This off season I have been doing drills to work on 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 back swings with the realization that what I think those are may very well be much longer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, djake said:

I voted to long.  Honestly I have no idea if my back swing is to long, just right or to short.

I had neck surgery and that did not allow a big back swing for a long time.  I had one Fitter tell me that I had a compact swing but managed to get a lot of efficiency out of it.

Then last summer one of the guys I was playing with told me my back swing was getting huge.

I watch videos on this site, PGA players swings in slow motion, some videos on line and to be honest I have no idea on how big a back swing should be.

This off season I have been doing drills to work on 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 back swings with the realization that what I think those are may very well be much longer.

 

Watching pros is what got me too long I think, I’d watch them then watch where their arms and club stopped in the back swing and tried to feel like I was close to that. when my instructor pointed out my shoulders turned well past theirs, and showed how going that far made it close to impossible to get in sync in my down swing it made slot of sense.....still is hard to feel like I’m hitting a full shot when 50% is a full swing now if that makes sense 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Dwall4017 said:

Watching pros is what got me too long I think, I’d watch them then watch where their arms and club stopped in the back swing and tried to feel like I was close to that. when my instructor pointed out my shoulders turned well past theirs, and showed how going that far made it close to impossible to get in sync in my down swing it made slot of sense.....still is hard to feel like I’m hitting a full shot when 50% is a full swing now if that makes sense 

When I watch a Pro and slow mo their swing I keep reminding myself they are Professional Athletes I am not.  They can do more with a swing then I can.  So I do worry about what you said, am I getting to long because of watching them

Crazy how the ball goes just as far with what one thinks is a 1/2 or 3/4 type swing compared to a full swing.  I just need to trust it more.  

Thank you for your response @Dwall4017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

On the range, feels like it's the right length, try and make a little longer BS w/the driver. But playing on course, gets long, know this from video. And more across the line. Also noticed the longer the backswing, the more the tendency to tip out, not lay down the shaft, at least for me.

For short game shots, I think the BS is too long. Tend to hinge it a lot, if that counts as a backswing.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "much longer than it should be" because my instructor last summer told me I had more backswing than I needed, and as a result of the swing analysis feedback I got for my off-season training program.  I will of course be working on correcting that.

I fight the tendency of too much backswing in my putting game, too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, iacas said:

Might be a case of one step backward for several steps forward if you fix that.

I’d give it serious consideration.

One other question: how do you hit partial shots?

I can hit a 1/4, 1/2, 1/2, 3/4 shots, but I'm probably taking longer backswings with those as well. I've talked to a number of people about it, and the consensus was that if I was that flexible, then don't try changing it. At almost 71 years old, I consider it an advantage that I can swing that far back.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted right length.  For me if the backswing gets too long it's because my arms and hence my width is collapsing at the top.  When I practice I focus on maintaining width throughout the swing and this keeps my backswing from getting too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I tried not to place blame too much on it in my previous posts, but it’s absolutely dogshit. Im embarrassed and pissed at how f***ing bad my putting is.   I’ll give you a rundown today. Started on hole 10, had a 10ft for birdie and missed. Not too upset at that. 11 was tough, just pulled a shot and lost it. Double bogey, wasn’t putting but knew I could easily recover with how many chances I’ve given myself all week. 12, 10ft birdie missed. Starting to get upset. 13, 8ft par putt missed; tee shot was a bit off so I’ll blame that but ultimately it should’ve been an easy make. 14, 30ft for birdie, 3 putt because I missed a 5ft par putt. 15, was upset but somehow made a sliding 12ft birdie. 16, barely short of green, elected to putt and ball took off.  Had 6ft coming back and missed that too. 17, 5ft for birdie missed. 18, par with a good up and down. 1, put my 2nd on a par 5 to 2ft, luckily that’s inside 4ft and I can make those, eagle which should hold up for a skin. 2, 15ft birdie missed. 3, 5ft birdie missed. 4…….. 4 putt from 20ft, the other putts were all around 5ft, I don’t freaking know. 5, made a good up and down (all up and downs were because putts were inside 4ft). No idea why my chipping was reasonable today, but I’ll take it. 6, 12ft birdie missed. 7, 15ft birdie missed. 8, 15ft birdie once again f***ing missed. 9, a good up and down because I chipped to 2ft. Story of all 3 days. Had two 4 putts, too many 3 putts and a huge amount of birdie putts missed inside 15ft. My approaches were on fire. Driver I figured out eventually but too late. Shot 75 today. Won’t finish in money but I won 2 skins to get a little. I’m pissed.  
    • Nothing really surprising with the picks besides Rahm Sergio. Did not see that being a team or 1st out for Euros. I like the Keopka Berger pairing. That is a balls to the wall pairing.  Paul and Hovland was a bit of a surprise. However the Euros have been saying all week everyone wanted to play with him so maybe not. They will be playing 2 of the most relaxed Americans should be good. 
    • I think lot of the unvaccinated have adopted that as an identity or maybe a counter identity (never sheep). A badge of honor. Logic, data, science can't shake them. Ironically some of them are all over Ivermectin. Tragic. @Wanzo, I would venture to guess there very very few who are considering the surge in Vermont or Singapore in spite of the high vaccination rate as a reason to stay unvexed. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AWebb85
      AWebb85
      (36 years old)
    2. grilljm
      grilljm
      (75 years old)
    3. Joe92385
      Joe92385
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...